luck with 1/16 oz jigs, casting?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parkerdog

Reaction score
The weather has been awsome here the last couple of days so I've been down on the dock practicing with some new set ups I have bought.

Is it even possible to throw that light of a jig with a baitcaster?
I'm not having any luck.
I started out with an ultralight bps pole with a crappiemax reel just to see and that was a definite no.

Yesterday I put my 50e curado on the ultralight pole and got better results but still not acceptable. (first cast the birdnest was unreal because I hadn't set the left side brakes)

Is this light of jig/spinnerbait only usable on spinning reels?

Thanks

stick to spinning for that size jig head, unless you are fishing it with a really heavy plastic bait.

Even then, I'd still stick with spinning.

I have a custom casting that is light action with an XF tip. It is rated down to 1/16 oz. I tried casting an 1/8 oz jig and found that if I set the brakes and spool tension fairly tight I could cast reasonably well. IF IT IS NOT WINDY.

I ended up going to bps and getting a browning combo spinning ultralight.

Good thing I didn't spend a lot of money because I'm having a harder time getting the hang of this reel than I did with a baitcaster.

Throws the 1/16 pretty good just my technique sucks.

Once you get the hang of it I'm sure you'll love it. All i use is spinning for everything. Mainly fish for walleyes and such, but i gave up the baitcaster even for northern and bass now. Just like the way the hang and casting much further regardless of bait

not sure how you plan to fishing the jigs. these help cast anything light and act as a bobber.
https://www.basspro.com/Rainbow-Plastics-AJustABubble-Float/product/1201040501217/357623

Latest posts