Lug nuts 4 or 5?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Reaction score
What do you have?
I'm talking about 8" 10" 12" and 13" wheels. In 30 plus years of owning trailers I have not had one with 5 lug nuts.
Of the 3 trailers I have now 2 have lug bolts.

3 out of 4 boat trailers are 5 lug.
2 out of 4 have lug bolts. Those 2, are the older trailers. Sometimes can be a pain when you are holding the wheel and trying to get the first one started. I have only seen them on "light load" trailers, 1000lb or less.

3 out of 4 boat trailers are 5 lug.
2 out of 4 have lug bolts. Those 2, are the older trailers. Sometimes can be a pain when you are holding the wheel and trying to get the first one started. I have only seen them on "light load" trailers, 1000lb or less.
On trailer has an axle that's 1.90"od tube and 1-1/16" spindles. I thinks it's 2700lb or 2900lb it came with lug bolts.
I hate trying to get the bolts started, I have new 4 stud hubs for it.

With higher weight capacity usually comes larger/heavier wheels, which will make starting that first lug bolt all the more "fun". I'd want to change it out for studs, too.

With higher weight capacity usually comes larger/heavier wheels, which will make starting that first lug bolt all the more "fun". I'd want to change it out for studs, too.
It will be running ST145/R12 radials. This trailer is being rebuilt to have a large rooftop cargo basket down low on it and a rack above with a Yakima / Thule Cargo type box.
I will be towing it with a Toyota Sienna No build conversion. Should be light enough that I can pull it with the girlfriends Prius.

Depending on axle weight capacity, the wheels will have 4, 5 or 6 lug nuts. Lighter duty four etc..My EZ Loader trailer has a 2250 lb capacity with 5 lug wheels. The previous one had a 2000 lb cap with 4 lug wheels

No reason you cant make your own studs, attach to the hub then use lug nuts.
You can buy lug stud kits to convert them over but they're not as cheap as think they would be.
I wouldn't use plain threaded rod, except in zombie situation but the lug nuts would have to green.

Most of mine over the years have had 5 studs. A few, up to 13" had 4 studs.

I have some that have lug bolts, and I don't like them very much. I ALWAYS grease them before inserting, although some people say don't.
But if you have ever had one seize up in the hub, you would know why. When that happens, it's a very difficult situation. You can't get it off, and you have probably rounded the bolt head trying, and you can't get enough leverage to break it off.

In the end, for really bad ones, I have used an angle grinder and made a slightly smaller hex head. Then used a torch to heat the stud and a 3/4" impact socket to get it off. Fine and dandy, but a REAL pain to do on the side of the road!

Still, if you grease them, you won't have that problem, you just have to be careful to not over-torque the bolts. You get the touch for tightening them after awhile

I use a little anti-seize on the threads and torque to 80ftlb. Same with lug nuts.

I wouldn't use plain threaded rod, except in zombie situation but the lug nuts would have to green.
He's sooo right. Most threaded rod is a grade 2 material, and far too soft for stressful uses like lug studs. I'm not so sure you wouldn't have to go to a specialty outlet like McMaster-Carr to get 1/2-20 threaded rod. Most of it is course thread, and lug nuts are fine thread.

Yup....more useless tidbits of info.....Roger

2 seems a little light to me, I'd expect and like 4 as a minimum.

Ha! I had to read the first post twice before I picked up on "lug bolts" like my Fiat has. Citreon used 3 on a bunch of their stuff but heck, so does my Snapper rider... wheels never fell off of any of my stuff so while I don't necessarily like it, they all seem to work. :)

To answer the OP though, my motorcycle trailer is 4x4.5, 2k axle 12" rim. Dad's old Dilly tilt boat trailer with a 4x4.5 wheel was an 8" rim if I remember right. Most of my boat trailers are/were 5x4.5 bolt circle in 13", 14", and 15" wheel sizes.

Latest posts