Lug nuts 4 or 5?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He's sooo right. Most threaded rod is a grade 2 material, and far too soft for stressful uses like lug studs. I'm not so sure you wouldn't have to go to a specialty outlet like McMaster-Carr to get 1/2-20 threaded rod. Most of it is course thread, and lug nuts are fine thread.

Yup....more useless tidbits of info.....Roger
I have tapped each threaded hole all the way thru then come from the back side with a quality bolt to create a stud. In one case I had to counterbore the backside to recess the bolt head. Yes, working at a machine shop has its advantages.....

Ha! I had to read the first post twice before I picked up on "lug bolts" like my Fiat has. Citreon used 3 on a bunch of their stuff but heck, so does my Snapper rider... wheels never fell off of any of my stuff so while I don't necessarily like it, they all seem to work. :)

To answer the OP though, my motorcycle trailer is 4x4.5, 2k axle 12" rim. Dad's old Dilly tilt boat trailer with a 4x4.5 wheel was an 8" rim if I remember right. Most of my boat trailers are/were 5x4.5 bolt circle in 13", 14", and 15" wheel sizes.
To me it makes it stronger unless the size of the bolt is bigger on the 2 studs.

You can buy lug stud kits to convert them over but they're not as cheap as think they would be.
I wouldn't use plain threaded rod, except in zombie situation but the lug nuts would have to green.

Far easier and not much more expensive to buy new hub assemblies with studs and just swap them over. Plus you get new wheel bearings and spare hubs.