Lund Mr Pike Flooring suggestions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Srvwalk

Reaction score
Redoing my 1981 Mr Pike 16 foot Lund boat. What do you recommend on decking / flooring plywood wood size, type and suggested sealers?

Depends on weight of people standing on it, span of support or distance between supports, will it be covered ?? Back when I did mine, I used 5 ply exterior plywood and it suppirted my 180 lb butt suspended between the bench seats only. I used a wood sealer like Thompsons and covered with marine carpet, still looked like new 6 years later when I sold it...

I’ve got this stripped down to the floor supports. 3/4 marine plywood was on it, still in good shape. I just wonder if 3/4 is really needed. I’ve seen where some recommend a fiberglass epoxy type resin to seal the wood. You can see the attached pics of the current state.

Attachments

• E3C27622-B79C-4196-B5C0-59EEE6887322.jpeg
    E3C27622-B79C-4196-B5C0-59EEE6887322.jpeg
    178.6 KB · Views: 1
  • B1E4FFE7-EA52-4CEC-B2E9-6F2694852F64.jpeg
    B1E4FFE7-EA52-4CEC-B2E9-6F2694852F64.jpeg
    196.1 KB · Views: 0
The decks in my 14' Lund S14 are all "add-ons." I replaced the lower decks between the benches last year with 3/4" ply; it's what I had in the shop when I did it.

I'm replacing the front casting deck now; it had 3/4 ply on it, but I'm putting in new 5/8" ply. It's exterior-rated sanded BCX from the big box store. I went with 5/8th because there's sufficient structure underneath, it saves a few pounds over 3/4, and was a few bucks cheaper. I think 1/2" ply would flex too much for my tastes, unless I really beefed up the supporting structures.

All of the ply I use on the boat is covered with a coat of fiberglass resin to provide moisture protection. I pay particular attention to the edges of the ply to reduce moisture absorption into the end grain of the ply veneers.

I redid a 16 ft lund ssv i do believe it is, i used aluminum with pieces of 2x10 pressure treated for where the pedestal were attached.crappy picture of it but you can see some of it. I'm going to paint it or put some aquadek on it this year. It lightened the boat up nicely.

Attachments

• 20220619_095720.jpg
    20220619_095720.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 2
The decks in my 14' Lund S14 are all "add-ons." I replaced the lower decks between the benches last year with 3/4" ply; it's what I had in the shop when I did it.

I'm replacing the front casting deck now; it had 3/4 ply on it, but I'm putting in new 5/8" ply. It's exterior-rated sanded BCX from the big box store. I went with 5/8th because there's sufficient structure underneath, it saves a few pounds over 3/4, and was a few bucks cheaper. I think 1/2" ply would flex too much for my tastes, unless I really beefed up the supporting structures.

All of the ply I use on the boat is covered with a coat of fiberglass resin to provide moisture protection. I pay particular attention to the edges of the ply to reduce moisture absorption into the end grain of the ply veneers.
Thank You Ray. Great information and confirms my thoughts as well.

I redid a 16 ft lund ssv i do believe it is, i used aluminum with pieces of 2x10 pressure treated for where the pedestal were attached.crappy picture of it but you can see some of it. I'm going to paint it or put some aquadek on it this year. It lightened the boat up nicely.
I like the aluminum method as well. I’ll probably go back to plywood for cost. By the way, nice catch!

I did pike rebuild a few years back.... I used 5/8" marine plywood, because that was what Lund used originally.

Tin_boat_Avitar.JPG

Some where onthis site is write up of my restore process... I think the label was "the life of a 81 pike" if you want to look at it...

Latest posts