Maintenance Schedule

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LDUBS

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I try hard to follow the maintenance schedule for my Honda outboard but I’ve run into a situation that has me scratching my head.

Per the spec’s, every 6 months or 100 hours (whichever comes first) I change the plugs, oil, filter, & gear oil along with other things. Every 12 months or 200 hours I change out the impeller, among other things.

I’m coming up on the 12 month cycle at the end of July. I have no issues servicing the water pump. My issue is I currently only have 17 hours on the motor since the last oil & gear oil change. I will put more hours on before the end of July, but I will still likely be less than 40 hours. Maybe less than 30 hours.

I have 24 months left on a 60 month warranty. In order to maintain the warranty, I really need to maintain the recommended service intervals. So I am going to do the prescribed service.

It sure seems like overkill to change the oil & gear lube out with so few hours. I just don’t see the difference between the oil sitting in a can or in my crankcase, but I’m sure I’m overlooking something. And, clearly the answer to my quandary is to use the boat a lot more. Haha

Now I’m curious about what others are doing. Warranty issues aside, are you guys sticking to the manufacturer’s maintenance time schedule regardless of hours?

I don't really stick to any schedule, just do it when I have time or am working on something else related.

They recommend changing crankcase oil after a period of time because it can become acidic, you don't want that sitting in there. I don't think the same applies to gear oil, the only thing there would be water, be it just from condensation or a leak.

If I had a new or newer engine I would probably be quite diligent in the maintenance. I expect I will probably change oil as needed on my Honda kicker, once a year or more (less than 1qt for that). Will check/change gearcase oil once a year or as needed also for both engines. Spark plugs as needed (if they aren't running right). It's not really that expensive to replace the fluids yourself (if you are able), and doesn't take to much time either.

It's a good idea to treat boat engines a bit like racecar engines I think. They can get similar usage, very abusive usage. The big motors may see wide open throttle for 80% of their run time, so they need to be in top shape. Kicker/trolling motors may be idling for long periods or WOT for long periods, both take their toll on the engine in different ways.

Breaking down on the water isn't something most people want to experience, so spend the extra on maintenance and keep them running happy. :mrgreen:

I don’t have any warranty, I pull mine every 100 hrs or once a year and just go though it ….. lower unit, water pump, plugs, filters. If I see I’m putting a lot of hrs I’ll pull it early if need. I have small motors so it not as expensive as some motors out there.

MrGiggles said:
I don't really stick to any schedule, just do it when I have time or am working on something else related.

They recommend changing crankcase oil after a period of time because it can become acidic, you don't want that sitting in there. I don't think the same applies to gear oil, the only thing there would be water, be it just from condensation or a leak.

Truth.

Latest posts