Marine Grade Plywood or Aluminum flooring?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xaero

Reaction score
What would you suggest I use in a large 24 foot jon boat flooring? SeaArk 2472mv. I really need to save some money and get this boat on the water ASAP. I can do aluminum at a later time. A second question: Would you book a guided fishing trip if the captain used Marine Grade Plywood as their flooring? Does it detract from the appeal of the fishing trip to you?

Right now I found 0.125 5052 slick aluminum for $300 per 4ft x 8ft piece. Nobody has diamond plate or anything thinner. I would need at least 4 pieces to fit my floor space. Marine grade plywood should be half that cost or less if I can find some (have not found any yet).

FWIW I use exterior grade plywood in all my boats - same glue as'marine' ply - and fill any voids with a thickened epoxy mix from the $20 sample kit from Raka epoxy, www.raka.com.

Cover it with marine vinyl flooring from Defender Marine (CT) and you'll have a good gripping surface to step on that's easy to clean! My last tin rig with viny flooring was 24-years old when sold and the vinyl floor still looked great! Power washing is your friend there ...

Tips - I'd seal at least the edges of the plywood and if you wrap the vinyl down around the edges so no water gets to the wood ... I'd doubt you'd ever replace it with tin.

A wood floor would also be quieter, have less shock/bounce/vibration and would be warmer!

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
You can use BCX grade plywood and save $$$

This is my plan for the F-9 rebuild. 5/8" BCX, sealed with oil-based Varathane and carpeted...total cost is under $150

As a side note. This boat is old and big. It may be close to retirement so maybe wood would be better. I found some:

Birch Marine grade plywood, 3/4 thick, 4ft x 8ft, $106 a sheet

Wooden floor in huge aluminum boat. Do you guys use anything on the wood to seal it up?

Edit: Sooo... oil based Varathane to seal wood, some type of epoxy for gaps???

Xaero said:
As a side note. This boat is old and big. It may be close to retirement so maybe wood would be better. I found some:

Wooden floor in huge aluminum boat. Do you guys use anything on the wood to seal it up?

Oil based, exterior grade Spar Urethane.

BTW: BCX plywood is only $54 a sheet here for 3/4" - marine grade 3/4" is $128....if you're covering it, properly sealed BCX will last for years. Marine grade is mainly used where it'll be stained and visible.

MN Fisher said:
Xaero said:

BTW: BCX plywood is only $54 a sheet here for 3/4" - marine grade 3/4" is $128....if you're covering it, properly sealed BCX will last for years. Marine grade is mainly used where it'll be stained and visible.

Is that considered exterior grade plywood? All the "BC" I am seeing at Home Depot is Pine. Not the best wood. I dont see a BCX? I would favor a better hardwood at the very least.

Xaero said:
MN Fisher said:
Xaero said:

Is that considered exterior grade plywood? All the "BC" I am seeing at Home Depot is Pine. Not the best wood. I dont see a BCX? I would favor a better hardwood at the very least.

Marine grade just uses a better grade of pine for the interior layers - Western Larch and Douglas Fir are the two most common. 'Hardwood' plywood is just sheathed (top layers) in hardwood...rest is pine.

Yes, the BC plywood at HD is exterior rated...still seal it - either Spar Urethane or Epoxy.

DaleH said:
I don’t see the need for 3/4” thick unless your
ribs are wide spaced …

Even then, you could rivet down longitudinal runners closer together...then even 1/2" would suffice...would only raise the floor by 1.0625" using 1/16" 1x1 angle.

I'm going with 5/8" in the F-9....belt and suspenders kind of guy.

I'm on the fence regarding wood or aluminum.

I did find a product called DURABAK, that after you rough up the plywood w/38 grit, will be able to be completely sealed

Two coats is recommended - and comes in various colors, and you have the option to get smooth or rough.
Going this route, you get the ugliest plywood, and cover it to last.

I went to Home Depot to look at what they had. The cheaper BCX had a lot of imperfections in it. Cracks, knots, etc. It didn't look like a quality wood to me. I am going to 84 Lumber this weekend to see what their marine grade boards look like. I am sure they have BCX too. Maybe it will be a better quality.

The ribs of the SeaArk 2472mv are pretty far apart. I dont have exact measurement. Just this picture of where it sits below. I think I have enough metal to shore up the small deck. The rest will be wood flooring.

1EE0726A-4E5B-416F-90B5-DE02255BF985.jpeg

Xaero said:
Cracks, knots, etc. It didn't look like a quality wood to me.

That's pretty typical of BC grade plywood. it's used for underlayment on exterior/interior walls when you're putting something over it...hence the imperfections.

Since I'll be carpeting all the wood I'm putting in the F-9...I don't care about the imperfections.

I went with 3/4 marine plywood and just sealed one side (will seal other when dry). What is the best way to fasten them to the aluminum ribs of the boat?

Xaero said:
I went with 3/4 marine plywood and just sealed one side (will seal other when dry). What is the best way to fasten them to the aluminum ribs of the boat?

30PCs 1/4"-20 Stainless Steel Rivet Nuts Nutsert Threaded Rivet Insert Rivnuts 1/4-20UNC

I was thinking about using rivnuts. Would make it really easy to remove when needed.

Another question: How should I paint the wood after sealing it? I was thinking about using a roll on bed liner like Durabak however it is $130 a gallon. Is there anything cheaper that would work?

Thanks for the help!

BAY BEAGLE said:
30PCs 1/4"-20 Stainless Steel Rivet Nuts Nutsert Threaded Rivet Insert Rivnuts 1/4-20UNC

I should ask, why not aluminum?

Xaero said:
Another question: How should I paint the wood after sealing it? I was thinking about using a roll on bed liner like Durabak however it is $130 a gallon. Is there anything cheaper that would work?
Marine vinyl, will OUT LAST carpet by years! And will still look good 20+ years later. FWIW a 74" width piece is < $21 per yard ... so for ~$100 you can do a big floor.

Defender Marine USA = https://www.defender.com/search.html?q=nautolex+vinyl

I still would seal any wood edge grain (or void on wood) with any good exterior paint, any color, cheaper the better - just seal it.

Latest posts