Marine Grade Plywood or Aluminum flooring?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Xaero said:
BAY BEAGLE said:
30PCs 1/4"-20 Stainless Steel Rivet Nuts Nutsert Threaded Rivet Insert Rivnuts 1/4-20UNC

I should ask, why not aluminum?

I've had bad luck with aluminum rivnuts having the threads tear out when you try to set the rivnut. But with stainless there's no way to really put a barrier between the rivnut and the aluminum, so you're opening the door to the possibility of corrosion.

onthewater102 said:
Xaero said:
BAY BEAGLE said:
30PCs 1/4"-20 Stainless Steel Rivet Nuts Nutsert Threaded Rivet Insert Rivnuts 1/4-20UNC

I should ask, why not aluminum?

I've had bad luck with aluminum rivnuts having the threads tear out when you try to set the rivnut. But with stainless there's no way to really put a barrier between the rivnut and the aluminum, so you're opening the door to the possibility of corrosion.

If I'm setting aluminum rivnuts - I always use a manual setter, not an electric or air powered setter. Ya, it's more work, but I've yet to strip any aluminum rivnuts.

I went with the Marine grade plywood and rolled on Durabak on it. I used Rivet Nuts with the wood and normal Rivets with the metal (front of boat). Overall everything is looking good. I did manage to screw up 1 Rivet Nut and had to replace It. I cross threaded two others.

67063364141__392F6245-4920-4C7B-9C6E-9CA1A24024C8.JPG

Latest posts