Marine Vinyl Install Question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heff65

Reaction score
Hello, I’m installing new marine plywood and Nautolex vinyl in my Crestliner. I’m planning on putting the old timers formula on the plywood before installing the vinyl. What adhesive should I use to attach the vinyl? Is there an adhesive that’s compatible with the old timers formula that isn’t too expensive? Thanks in advance.

I believe Nautolex sells adhesive for their vinyl and it's not terribly priced, so you may want to use their stuff, and make sure to wrap around and staple from the bottom. Viny flooring shrinks over time, and if the edges aren't well secured, it will come loose.

Thill, I know they sell the adhesive. I just wasn’t sure if it would be compatible with the old timers formula that I was planning on applying before the vinyl and adhesive.

I believe Nautolex sells adhesive for their vinyl and it's not terribly priced, so you may want to use their stuff, and make sure to wrap around and staple from the bottom. Viny flooring shrinks over time, and if the edges aren't well secured, it will come loose.

" make sure to wrap around and staple from the bottom."

X2. The added bonus is wrapping the vinyl around the ply edges will provide quite a bit of protection to the ply.

Thill, I know they sell the adhesive. I just wasn’t sure if it would be compatible with the old timers formula that I was planning on applying before the vinyl and adhesive.
one thing to be aware of: Marideck recommends a solvent based adhesive if vinyl is being glued to epoxied boards. The water based adhesive needs bare wood and i encapsulated my deck boards in epoxy. i don't know what is in the "old guys formula" but Marideck recommends MD-102 for gluing down over epoxied wood.

one thing to be aware of: Marideck recommends a solvent based adhesive if vinyl is being glued to epoxied boards. The water based adhesive needs bare wood and i encapsulated my deck boards in epoxy. i don't know what is in the "old guys formula" but Marideck recommends MD-102 for gluing down over epoxied wood.

OP is using Nautolex not Mairdeck. Nautolex says to seal the wood to prevent adhesive from penetrating. Apparently a different animal.

i stand corrected...

No worries. I hear a lot of folks like MariDeck.

I recall a thread from a while back where someone who trimmed the Nautolex flush to the edge had a problem with it lifting along the edge. The common install is to wrap it around the floor edge and secure on the underside. I wonder if there would be the same issue with MariDeck.

Hello, I’m installing new marine plywood and Nautolex vinyl in my Crestliner. I’m planning on putting the old timers formula on the plywood before installing the vinyl. What adhesive should I use to attach the vinyl? Is there an adhesive that’s compatible with the old timers formula that isn’t too expensive? Thanks in advance.
I used Roberts 6700 from Home Depot when I did my boat deck with Nautolex and it has been absolutely bombproof for 8 years. I also applied Nautolex to the inside of the hull above the decking and 6700 didn't work nearly as well there, nor did Nautolex 88. I actually had good luck with good old 3M 80 spray adhesive for the vinyl to metal areas but I've had to tack it back down in a few places. As other posters have noted, wrapping and stapling the Nautolex in addition to applying glue is the best approach.

Latest posts