Merc 9.9 tune up - Other parts to consider?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zuren

Reaction score
I have another thread going that I'm keeping my eyes open for a 15-20HP 2-stroke for my boat. In the meantime, I need to get my 9.9 running better.

Earlier this year, the motor was hard to start. I finally got it to start and idle well, but would stall if the throttle went anywhere past idle. Now it is starting, idling, and I can get to WOT without stalling, but the engine is not making full RPMs. It is only reaching 4200-4300 RPM under load and 10.5 MPH when the spec says it should be hitting 5000-6000 RPMs and I should be going much faster than that. As a result, I cannot get the hull up on plane. My plan is to pull the carb and clean it.

The boat and motor were handed down to me by my dad a couple years ago, and I haven't done much beyond:
  • spark plugs
  • ethanol-free fuel
  • a new fuel + bulb line from the tank-to-motor
  • Seafoam mixed in the gas
  • lower unit oil swap with new vent and drain plug seals

I'm putting together an order at MarineEngine.com, including:

• Carb Gasket and Diaphragm Kit (#1395-9761 1)
  • Prop nut (#11-40140 - the nut currently on my prop is fully plastic and appears to be stripped. The replacements I find are metal)

Would it be wise for me to also replace the fuel filter assembly (https://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=MER35-889527A07), or can those be cleaned sufficiently? Anything that would be prudent to replace if I'm going to have things apart? I don't want to buy parts unnecessarily, but this order will have a shipping charge so I'm trying to be smart about it.

Thanks!