Mercury 200

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tasthree

Reaction score
New member here with questions about a 1966 Mercury 200 20hp engine. I'm considering going to go look at a 14' alum boat,trailer and the mentioned engine. The guy got the set up from a property forclosure so he dosen't know much about it. Like if it runs or not. Said the engine was stored in a shed and that everything else he got from the property was in running condition. The asking price is $300 so I don't feel to bad about that. It is a two hour drive from me though. I'll offer him two and see what he says.
I've searched this site and the net about this engine and can't find much about it. What is anybodys opinion on these engines? Are they durable, parts still available, easy to work on,etc. I'm a grease monkey and love old iron so I have no issues about working on it. Thanks.

The electronics can be a bit tricky some time but other than that they are good motors. I have a couple of that vintage.

When you say electronics are you talking about setting points or other? I'm a bit long in the tooth with injuries and health. If tuned properly how hard are they to pull start? If one was in good condition and running order what would be the spring/summer value of it?

Motor is getting pretty long in the tooth. Here in Ontario a good runner might bring 350 and the boat another 400 if in decent shape (without a trailer) trailer here is worth 400 with an ownership. That being said, don’t be afraid of running an older motor on your fishing rig. I run a 1983 and before that a 76, both run flawlessly with little maintenance. Lots of 60’s motors running around here. For a low buck fishing rig, it sounds like a good deal. I’d give that much for a boat motor and trailer sight unseen. Even if the motor is a boat anchor and the hull is a bit of a project, you can still come out looking good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Talked to the guy this evening. I wanted some more info from him like what bolt pattern the wheels are. The tires are flat but I have a set of four and five bolt wheels and tires I can take with me. Also wanted a pic of the stern from the back. I asked him his best price and he said he would take Two for it so I'm going over Wensday to go get it. Figured at that price I couldn't lose much site unseen. I don't know what manufacture hull it is. He said it was 52" wide at the bottom of the stern. When I get it I'll start another thread with pics.

You just might have an incredible set up for $200, I can't wait to see it.

Did some searching on the net last night. Based on the pictures I believe the hull is Challenger made by Rich Line. I can't seem to be able to forward any pics from the ad.

To do an old points ignition Merc "properly" you need special tools to set up the magneto. Properly is the key word. Check and see if coils are available for that vintage as well as condensors. In all probability you will need these at the bare minimum.
Check and see how much a carb kit is for the engine.
Check and see how much a complete water pump assembly is and also an impeller. You may need a complete assembly.
Check the gear lube to see if water is present in it.
I would have these answers in your head before you jump on it.

I picked up the boat today. Will try to post some pics later on. Jonney.I'm in NC which is a title state for anything over 14'. I put a tape measure to it and it's 14'3" so I'll have to pay up for that. I have what I hope are all the notorized papers I need. Pappy. It's been a long time like over 30 years since my last outboard work. Rebuilt a evenrude 140. What special tool is needed for the magneto? I have a dwell meter and know how to use it. The boat, motor and trailer look in remarkable shape considering they are over 50ys old. After I got home with it I ran the number for the motor and it comes up as a 1967 not a 66. I know I need to change the impeller and lower unit oil. But why do you say I need "at bare minimun" new coils. Do these particular coils go bad just from sitting or something? When I order the impeller I'll order points,con and a coil anyway. I always like to have spares on hand.

Posted some pics. I want to add to what I meant that the boat, motor and trailer is in remakable shape. Considering the age AND what I paid for it all. I really don't have the time or energy to work on it right now. When I do I guess my plan is to get a service manual, change the lower unit oil. Then the impeller. Try starting it up and see what happens and go from there. Will problably need to clean the carb. If things don't go well with it I'll just go get me a running 15hp J/E and be done with that part. I want to keep this thread about the motor so I'll post pics of the rest in another thread.
IMG_4620.JPGIMG_4625.JPGIMG_4626.JPG

That looks like a running motor to me... before you believe you have to replace everything in the ignition I'd see if I could get it going as is.... might already have new everything... Just make sure the impeller and lower unit is functional first... My guess is that it was very well taken care of...

Well I went to drain the lower unit oil today and nothing but 1/4 cup of water came out. Don't know if the oil was drained out in the past for some reason or if it leaked out a bad seal. I was going to take the lower unit off anyway to change the impeller. Guess I'll be doing a leak test and go form there. Any suggestions?

tasthree said:
Well I went to drain the lower unit oil today and nothing but 1/4 cup of water came out. Don't know if the oil was drained out in the past for some reason or if it leaked out a bad seal. I was going to take the lower unit off anyway to change the impeller. Guess I'll be doing a leak test and go form there. Any suggestions?
If nothing but water came out I would go ahead and pull it apart and do an inspection. That water in there on bearings has done damage how much you won't know to you look. Running it to it fails you can count on it doing more damage, possible with parts that are hard or next to impossible to replace.

How about, before you pull it apart, you pressurize the LU (Lower Unit) with a bit of pressure and have some soap around the shift shaft seal, the driveshaft seal, and the propshaft seal and o-ring areas? Save you some time locating the leak. Once found, go from there.
How much pressure? 3-5psi should be more than enough. You should close off the lower drain hole and use the upper one for the test. All fluids should be drained.
The reason I suggested you purchase ignition parts is that old coils will typically run for a short time then arc to ground when they warm up. I choose peace of mind when bringing an old engine back into service rather than a cross your fingers approach.

Started some digging into this thing. Did a compression test first to make sure I wasn't sinking time into a dud. Got 115psi on both cyl. Took lower unit and upper half of the water pump off. I had a brake bleeder so I did a vacuum test. I could hear air sucking on the top shaft seal. pulled the bottom half of the pump housing. Saw some rust on part of the bearing cage. Going to have to dissasemble it. But. After the compression test I reinstalled the plugs. I then had the wife see if she could pull it. I don't think she would be able to start it in case of a emergency on the water. Heck I've enough health issues I might not either. She gave me the green light to find a ele start motor. I really like the looks of this motor on the boat. So I'm still going to proceed onwards with it while I look for a 90's or so ele/pull start 15hp two stroke motor. Anyone know of a good write up on a lower unit rebuild. With good instructions I'm not afraid to do such a thing.

tasthree said:
Started some digging into this thing. Did a compression test first to make sure I wasn't sinking time into a dud. Got 115psi on both cyl. Took lower unit and upper half of the water pump off. I had a brake bleeder so I did a vacuum test. I could hear air sucking on the top shaft seal. pulled the bottom half of the pump housing. Saw some rust on part of the bearing cage. Going to have to dissasemble it. But. After the compression test I reinstalled the plugs. I then had the wife see if she could pull it. I don't think she would be able to start it in case of a emergency on the water. Heck I've enough health issues I might not either. She gave me the green light to find a ele start motor. I really like the looks of this motor on the boat. So I'm still going to proceed onwards with it while I look for a 90's or so ele/pull start 15hp two stroke motor. Anyone know of a good write up on a lower unit rebuild. With good instructions I'm not afraid to do such a thing.
Yeah, service manuals have them.

There's a guy in Sanford who always has small outboards on craigslist. Which part of the state are you in. There's another guy near Mt Airy, aka Mayberry.

Latest posts