Mercury 4 Stroke 60/35 jet?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryMc

Reaction score
Anyone else notice that Mercury now has a detuned 40 jet that is rated at 35 hp at the pump? I cannot believe that there is actually a market for a jet motor like that, especially when the 4 stroke 40 jet actually performs no better than the old 2 stroke 50/35's.

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/engines/outboard/jet/fourstroke-jet-outboards-25-80-hp/#specifications

They would buy it for the same reason I purchased a 60/40. Motor restrictions. On the river I am on the most there is a motor restriction for part of the river. 40 hp on the biggest stretch. 25 hp on the upper end and unlimited on lower end as long as it's an outboard jet. I hear that unlimited section is going to change to 150 hp. This a federal park service rule!!! Don't like it but not much anyone can do so the 60/40 Mercury is the most popular by far on the current river in Missouri. Maybe there are places that can't go bigger than 35 hp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be that as it may, I still don't believe that there could be much of a market for a Jet 35 that is simply a detuned Jet 40.

LarryMc said:
Be that as it may, I still don't believe that there could be much of a market for a Jet 35 that is simply a detuned Jet 40.
If there really is somewhere with a 35hp restriction I see sales of 35hp decals increasing...

I can't imagine a big market for it either but yet people buy 40hp prop motors over the 60hp prop they weigh the same cause the 40 is just a detuned 60. Same thing with a lot of 90 and 115 engines lot of manufacturers the 90 is the same weight and same basic power head as the 115 yet people get 90's. Same goes for the nissan/tohatsu engines with the 40-50hp they are literally the same the 40 has restrictor plates in it to detune the 50 yet people get the 40. So who knows what prompted them to start making it maybe merc is in bed with nps in mo and lobbying them to make the current river a 35hp limit :LOL2:

Hope they don't drop the hp restriction to 35!!!!! The biggest reason I think people purchase is simply the cost. Less hp = less money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://garzonstudio.com/outboard-decals.html

The 50/35 motor I purchased this week is the same size frame as the less hp model 25 pump.

Latest posts