Mercury 60HP Bigfoot on Pontoon Prop Pitch

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuzzyGrub

Reaction score
I'm looking at a pontoon boat that has a Mercury 60HP Bigfoot on it. The prop is not the oem and needs replacing. The owner claims the motor over revs with the current 10P prop. Efforts to find the OEM prop pitch from this package boat from Starcraft, have been fruitless so far. Trying to understand what a ballpark pitch should be. The diameter is 13" and change. If you have this motor on a pontoon, please let me know what pitch and size pontoon you have. Thx.

Also, there is a warning on the cav plate that it takes a "special prop". First time I've seen that.

Most larger outboards dont come with a standard prop, you get a prop of choice to fit your rig. Small outboards still come with a universal prop but can be exchanged with a different one if needed. Your best bet is to find a good prop shop and typically they will let you try a prop, and as long as you dont damage it you can trade it in for another until you get the perfect match !! You will also get their ideas and expertise....of course you will pay more, but valuable expertise does come at a price...just like poor decisions or guesses also come at a price!!

No prop shops near here. I did try the solas calculator and has multiple options for pontoon boats, along with weight. It says 10P, but the Solas High Thrust prop is 11P. I could get the standard solas 3 blade in 9P. If the sale goes through, probably try the High Thrust. I have the correct hub from my mercruiser prop collection.

Might be a little late for this but in 2012 I bought a new 60hp Bigfoot for a 28' pontoon boat and the dealer recommended a 3 blade 11p ballpark 13" dia prop # 77338A45. The motor had the same warning about a special prop. I haven't had any issues with it over revving, I have the VesselView monitoring system on it. Hope this helps

That didn’t work out. Along with a few other used pontoons I looked at. Ended up buying new, about a couple weeks ago.

I suspect the warning has to do with running a “normal” pitch prop, which would severely lug the engine.

If I remember right the Bigfoot motors have a different gear ratio in the lower unit that allows them to spin a larger/higher pitch prop for heavy loads. A 60hp Bigfoot will take a similar diameter prop as a 90hp+ standard outboard.

Most of the Bigfoot engines I've seen came with 4 blade props on them.

I have a 22' pontoon with a 60hp bigfoot. It came with a 3 blade 14x10p prop. Top speed was 21mph in ideal conditions. Typical speed is 18mph. I'm gonna try a 4 blade 13.8x11p prop. See if I can can any better performance.

I'm looking at a pontoon boat that has a Mercury 60HP Bigfoot on it. The prop is not the oem and needs replacing. The owner claims the motor over revs with the current 10P prop. Efforts to find the OEM prop pitch from this package boat from Starcraft, have been fruitless so far. Trying to understand what a ballpark pitch should be. The diameter is 13" and change. If you have this motor on a pontoon, please let me know what pitch and size pontoon you have. Thx.

Also, there is a warning on the cav plate that it takes a "special prop". First time I've seen that.
Did you ever find a prop for your boat?
I have a 60hp bigfoot on a 22' pontoon boat. It came with a 14x10p 3 blade rop on it. Im going to try a 13.8x10p 4 blade prop. The 11p prop was still a little to much prop for that little engine, so we shall see.

Did you ever find a prop for your boat?
I have a 60hp bigfoot on a 22' pontoon boat. It came with a 14x10p 3 blade rop on it. Im going to try a 13.8x10p 4 blade prop. The 11p prop was still a little to much prop for that little engine, so we shall see.

No, that sale never went through. This spring, got tired of trying to find a good used pontoon , and bought a new, 2022 SunTracker PB 22DLX w/150 Merc. I have a thread going on that boat.

Latest posts