Mercury KE4 evaluation

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SomethingIsFishy

Reaction score
Talked to the guy I got my boat and evinrude sportwin from… he has a Merc KE4 Rocket that he doesn’t have a use for. I figured I would tinker with it to see if it runs and if it has any issues. Just for the record I have the option to make him an offer for the engine if I decide I like it…

The good: the gas tank is clean, the float bowl doesn’t flood over, the cowling and tank are in decent shape, and it does run!

The bad: it won’t stay running in a 5 gal bucket of water, the lower unit has been welded together about halfway down, it appears to need the prop shaft seal (has a few drips of oil behind the prop), and I’m not sure if it’s pumping water. I intend to hang it off the back of my boat and put it in the lake to see what it does in the water…

My thoughts: I love the styling, it has the right look for me! I’m not super crazy about the fact that it’s direct drive, but at the same time I don’t have to worry about shifting issues…

16BCD581-44F5-4608-B93C-AFC8342E8489.jpeg4EFF34D3-8805-48B7-B4AA-DB961EE604D2.jpeg

Stay tuned for updates, more pictures, and questions! Any thoughts about a fair offer should I decide to purchase the motor would be appreciated (the guy is a good friend of mine and I want to give him a fair price).

Latest posts