Minn Kota quick release mount options?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zuren

Reaction score
I'm mocking up the new-to-me MinnKota PowerDrive trolling motor on my 14' boat (see sig.) and wanted to see if there are recommendations on quick release brackets? I see that Minn Kota has a couple options, and believe there are some aftermarket options as well.

Here are the options I'm looking at:

https://minnkotamotors.johnsonoutdoors.com/accessories/trolling-motor/quick-release-bracket-mka-16-03

https://minnkotamotors.johnsonoutdoors.com/accessories/trolling-motor/quick-release-bracket-mka-21

The MKA-16 is metal and seems to have a rather large footprint where you mount. The MKA-21 is polymer and the footprint seems to be minimal/the same as the trolling motor mounting plate. Is there a benefit to one over the other? Is there anything different I should be considering?

Thanks!

Attachments

• PXL_20220317_015935489.jpg
    PXL_20220317_015935489.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 105
Seems like a no-brainer to me if the MKA-21 fits your motor. I have what I believe is the same or similar in my saltwater iPilot except it’s white. The puck that attaches to the deck is small and much less intrusive and snag free when motor isn’t mounted.
Also should be easier to place on the bow.
They are plenty strong. I’ve used them on my flats and bay boats in choppy SW bays for 6-8 years with only the occasional tightening of a bolt here or there.
Not sure what advantage the larger mount could offer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

"Is there anything different I should be considering?"

Well, since you asked! Haha.

When I was adding the trolling motor I took a hard look at the Minn Kota quick release mounts. Thought about it and couldn't think of why I would want to remove the trolling motor. Thought about it more and figured I would never take it off the boat. So, no quick release in my case. YMMV.

If you're around salt water get the poly one. I like having the quick release. That lets you share a trolling motor between boats.

Latest posts