Money-makin' tin...and I ain’t talkin’ cans...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sweet idea. :D I think this thread may have a new record for smilies :D :) :( :eek: :shock: :? 8) :lol:

I loaned my boat out to a tinboats guy, he happened to be up from one of the M states (Ms?) and was staying about 10-15 miles away. I let him use it as long as he wanted, I only needed it back by that Friday. It all went well, boat was returned in great shape and he even left me a few baits. But that was a tinboats guy, NOT the general public.

If I was renting boats, I would defintily do it with a bare minimum boat, talking aluminum, and you're lucky if you aren't sitting on an aluminum seat. A motor is an extra charge, as is a portable fishfinder. Most guys I know who regularly rent boats actually have their own motors (gas and electric) and fishfinders already. The basic necessities should be in the boat, life vests, oars, fire extinguisher, etc. Obviously a credit card deposit is required, and you might need to do what the car rental places do and place a hold on the deposit amount for a while (I worked at a bank and the rental places would hold $100-$500 every time you rented a car. They had a long time to use that hold up - that's why you rent with a credit card, NOT you bank card. The renter would also sign a waiver, but I doubt that will really protect you from a third party.
As to organization, Scorp is good, keep your accounts SEPARATE!
I have some stories on SCORE, mainly about one idiot working there who is my client and tried to throw me under the bus with another client. He told them how successful he was and how we were idiots. In reality, he is not all that successful (read real, not tax, losses for the last 5 years), is under audit and trying to buy his freedom right now. But overall, I beleive the concept is a good one and there are probably smart people that work there.
Good luck with the business and if we go to your neck of the woods, I'll look you up for a tinboats discount :wink: