Montgomery Ward Sea King

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have an old 14', 60" beam Montgomery Ward Sea King. It was my grandfather's boat. The boat has not been on the water since the mid 1970's. It started out with the rotten wood and worn out paint. The transom and one of the bench seats actually had ants living in them. For new wood, I used garapa (Brazilian ash) tongue and groove flooring. The wood has been sealed and varnished with marine grade products. I left all 3 of my bench seats to add strength and am in the process of building removable carpeted decking to go between the seats. I have added seat bases and post on top of the existing bench seats to allow me to sit higher. I bought the slightly more expensive round aluminum bases instead of the traditional square ones to give a bigger footprint and offer less stress on the wood. The post are also larger in diameter. The weight difference is nominal because the square bases are usually steel with steel post. I have used stainless and brass hardware on everything. The transom originally was made of double thickness 3/4" plywood. I replaced it with one layer of hardwood flooring to match the seats and a second layer of solid oak. The hatch on the bow has a drop in box for accessories. The paint is scraped along the inside from taking the benches out and putting them back. I have applied touch up paint, but need to reshoot the paint eventually. The floor is painted with bed liner. I need to make more current pics. Since these pics, I have added an electric anchor wench at the rear and a bow mounted trolling motor. The boat currently has a 5.5hp Ted Williams motor on it. I have a 15hp Sea King that I will mount when I finish going through it (this fall). I will also be adding all LED lighting to reduce battery consumption and eliminate the need to swap bulbs. More pics to come as I progress and time allows. I have some before pics to add when I can locate them.

Attachments

• CAM00067.jpg
    CAM00067.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 1,336
  • CAM00068.jpg
    CAM00068.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 1,336
Thank you! You have a nice looking boat build as well. I thought about steering wheel options, but decided to keep things simple. I just finished the deck area between the middle and rear bench. The front deck will be a bit more involved because of the battery box, etc.

Wow, my Grandfather had the same boat...he took me out lake fishing all the time when I was little. Caught many a giant catfish in it...at least they looked giant to me at the time. :roll:

Very cool! 8) I had only gone out on the boat once with my grandfather when I was very small. If my grandfather wasn't at work, he was working in the garden. He took me and my brother out fishing on occasion, but never in the boat. By the time he reached retirement age and had time to enjoy the boat, he spent his energy gardening and never set aside time to fish. I hope to make up for the lack of time this boat has had on the water. Radio Shack is closing many of it's stores, so I went and loaded up on switches, fuse holders, etc. today. Wiring is coming up on the list very soon. Everything else is finally coming together, but I don't think I'll be quite done before the high summer temps hit here in GA.