Motor looses power at full throttle but picks up rpm’s when I decrease throttle

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For what it's worth, your very first reply was from Pappy recommending a sync and link. He nailed it on his very first guess. He only got more complicated as time went on, as it appeared that it was more than that, based on your replies.

I just happened to recommend the same thing much later.
👌

All those ADJUSTABLE screws Are the first things played with. Then you have a motor that is difficult to correct. NOTHING helps if using a guessing way to correct anything.
Only 1 screw on this model but I didn’t touch it. Problem was in the linkage

LOSS of enough fuel flow at WOT. Find the blockage. I COULD even be a animal nest built into the carburetor inlet. Been there.
Wow.. some great thinkin/fixin suggestions here.... great resource.. Myself being lazy would like to do the easy stuff first...
I would install a small plastic SEE THRU fuel filter on the OUTPUT of the fuel pump.. now that won't prevent krap from ...
olde inlet hoses, primer bulbs flaking internally , ect.. but. it will let you see during the run up process if you got FULL fuel filter,
and if your fuel pump is sucking SO hard your putting air bubbles into the carb - bowl due to a ? bad fuel pump gasket, cracked
hose anywhere in the fuel delivery line.. ..
one other thing.. at higher rpms the spark changes quite a bit.. in shape and intensity.. try a new pr of plugs just to make sure
one is not breaking down... and those vintage wires are suspect too..
good luck..

Wow.. some great thinkin/fixin suggestions here.... great resource.. Myself being lazy would like to do the easy stuff first...
I would install a small plastic SEE THRU fuel filter on the OUTPUT of the fuel pump.. now that won't prevent krap from ...
olde inlet hoses, primer bulbs flaking internally , ect.. but. it will let you see during the run up process if you got FULL fuel filter,
and if your fuel pump is sucking SO hard your putting air bubbles into the carb - bowl due to a ? bad fuel pump gasket, cracked
hose anywhere in the fuel delivery line.. ..
one other thing.. at higher rpms the spark changes quite a bit.. in shape and intensity.. try a new pr of plugs just to make sure
one is not breaking down... and those vintage wires are suspect too..
good luck..
I saw something similar on a station wagon once. There was a paper milk carton floating around in the the gas tank. Ran good at low speeds, but acceleration pulled the carton down and shut off the gas. I doubt if this is the case with your boat because people look into boat tanks. However, could a weak gas hose collapse enough to restrict the flow? Or a faulty valve in the line?

I saw something similar on a station wagon once. There was a paper milk carton floating around in the the gas tank. Ran good at low speeds, but acceleration pulled the carton down and shut off the gas. I doubt if this is the case with your boat because people look into boat tanks. However, could a weak gas hose collapse enough to restrict the flow? Or a faulty valve in the line?
Oh yea.. all the above and more.. hoses not rated for ethanol..primer bulbs w/bad check valves.... std troubleshooting techniques for anything-process is to HALF SPLIT.. in the case of fuel supply .. STORAGE DELIVERY CONSUMPTION .. the DELIVERY is about half.. so I look at my see thru fuel filter for.. full supply of fuel, with no bubbles..
the only gotcha is... water is "THICKER" than gas so that little paper filter will somewhat keep water out of the carb-engine but it will block easier.. so keep a few on hand.... for when you see the output side of the filter empty and the input side full.!!!! and some have a small dark dot on the input side inside the plastic is a tiny magnet.. collects rust flakes... kewl.. eh

The viscosity of water vs gasoline has ZERO to do with the filter keeping water out. Water is heavier than gasoline. Read and understand!
Gasoline floats on top of water in a filter. Water sinks to the bottom.
When a filter housing fills with water the filter will only do it's job until the level of the water gets far enough up to allow the water to touch the filter media.....at which point the water will flow right through along with the gasoline.
We try and keep this forum as accurate and factually reliable as possible with our answers. If you are not absolutely sure what you are talking about please refrain from leading others astray with an inaccurate answer. Not meant in a mean spirited way!

Last edited:
The viscosity of water vs gasoline has ZERO to do with the filter keeping water out. Water is heavier than gasoline. Read and understand!
Gasoline floats on top of water in a filter. Water sinks to the bottom.
When a filter housing fills with water the filter will only do it's job until the level of the water gets far enough up to allow the water to touch the filter media.....at which point the water will flow right through along with the gasoline.
We try and keep this forum as accurate and factually reliable as possible with our answers. If you are not absolutely sure what you are talking about please refrain from leading others astray with an inaccurate answer. Not meant in a mean spirited way!
I stand corrected.. thank you very much

The problem was solved a while ago. It was the throttle plate going past horizontal due to linkage being out of adjustment.

Remember that if the posted problem happens to you.

The problem was solved a while ago. It was the throttle plate going past horizontal due to linkage being out of adjustment.

Remember that if the posted problem happens to you.
Thanks for posting the followup and letting us know your solution.

Latest posts