Motor Trouble

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
My motor starts up fine but at Wide oppen throttle, just hovers at 3000 rpms's. Normally it should be 5500-6000. No other issues. What do you guys think? Tune up time?

I never winterized it last year. I filled the boat with gas and put it in my garage.

HELP! Im going fishing for 4 days next month!

My motor did something very similar the first time I took my boat out. I took the top off the motor and saw right away that part of the "linkage" had fallen off the side of the motor. I snapped it back in place and everything has been fine ever since.

This is a pic of my motor and the piece that came off....

Attachments

• Picture 002 (Small).jpg
    Picture 002 (Small).jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 1,913
Jim:

If you do not see an problem with the linkage I woudl start easy and then head to harder problems.

1. Bad gas - while running the engine spray some starting fuid into the air intake, if that kick up your RPMs you probably have a fuel problem. I also suggest trying a new tank or different tank of gas.

2. Make sure that your fuel lines are all sealed tight. Often the clamps will get just a little bit loose allowing some air in the line, lack of vacuum means lack of fuel with means lower RPMs;

3. Check your throttle cable - it may have stretched. Disconnect the cable and push the throttle by hand (use a screw driver or pliers to move it). If the cabel is streched then you are not getting full trottle;

4. Next, check the plugs - re-gap or put in new ones.

If all else if OK and still having problems re-build the carb - you can get a re-build kit pretty cheap and it is not hard. Use your digital camera to take pictures of teh linkage and such as you take it apart - makes re-assembly easy.

If you need help you can always give me a call - I have fixed lots of these (hence the steps above) and I know someone who actually knows what he is doing.

It may also be the new ethanol fuel mix... My boat had a similar problem it would idle but when I stepped on the gas it would die. My high pressure fuel filter was clogged and only passed 100psi gas instead of the normal 1100psi

Latest posts