Motors for Crestliner 1657 Outlook

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apersohn17

Reaction score
Hey, guys! It’s been awhile since I was here. My father-in-law is getting a boat and curious on the following. He doesn’t need to becessarily go fast, but also doesn’t want to be bogged down or take a mile to get on plane.

Does anyone have an opinion on trolling motor sizing and outboard motor sizing?

Crestliner 1657 Outlook
16’ boat length
78” beam
20” transom
Weight dry 740 lbs

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Last edited:
I have a 16' Sylvan alum with a 40 hp Merc 4 cyl 2 stroke. My boat weighed over 900lbs with all the gear. It will do 31 mph if trimmed right. Typical cruising speed is around 24mph. Easy on fuel, my TM is a 12v 55lb MinnKota with gps. My setup is perfect for one or two guys, can handle 3 with no issues. My boat is rated for 80hp but I see no need at all for more than my 40...

I'd say a 60 would be about right for the outboard.

For the electric, you could likely get by with a 55lb, but I'd get the 80.

Post the weights & HP ALLOWED by USCG and your insurance company.

My Lowe 16' X 52" aluminum planes easily with a old 30 hp 2 stroke..

Make sure the trolling motor has the battery extending Digital Control.

Is the boat Aluminum or plastic ?

Aluminum

I looked up that boat. It is a flat bottom. ALL FLAT BOTTOMS........ Like / WILL flip over backwards very easily if over powered in windy, low waves, crossing a larger wake. I have been tossed into the air ( Still in the boat. ) a couple of times by freighter & large cruiser wakes. Always in over powered boats.
If you want to go fast ? Buy a correct shaped boat. Do not just put a oversized motor on a fishing boat.

Enjoy the flat bottomed boats abilities to go thru shallow areas safely. I use oars in very shallow or weedy sections. :)

X2. Since you asked, best stay within the max rated HP spec's for the boat. I see 25 (min) to 50 HP (max) for a new one on Crestliner's web site.

Thanks everyone! We were thinking the same thing. We were more curious if a 25 HP was good enough or a 30 or 40 would be better? Thanks for the replies!

See if yo can find somebody to loan you their motor. We do that locally. You buy the person a nice dinner out. :)

Thanks everyone! We were thinking the same thing. We were more curious if a 25 HP was good enough or a 30 or 40 would be better? Thanks for the replies!

I think a flat bottom boat will get on plane faster. Still, a 740# dry hull weight plus everything you will be adding seems like a lot for a 25 hp motor. I guess it comes down to what is good enough.

Only you can decide that, some folks want to fly and others are happy to go slower and enjoy the scenery. When you say better....what is better?? Many times I just go for a ride by myself, on some ocassions I just cruise along at a slow speed and other times I run it wide open and enjoy the speed. If I am just going fishing, I dont need to go far so soeed doesnt mean a thing. What are your uses going to be ??

I looked it up on the Crestliner site, and recommended HP is 25-50. I would recommend you stick in the 40-50 HP range.

I have a 16 footer and ran a 35 HP for many years and was happy. Ran great, but struggled a bit when the kids were on board with me. And with 4 people, I had to put on my lower pitched prop. Still, it ran flawlessly.

Last year, I bumped it up to 50 HP and I wish I had done it years ago. SO much better. Jumps on plane fast, don't have to pin the throttle all the time, and it's actually quieter and burns LESS fuel than the smaller motor. The motor doesn't have to struggle, it just hums away back there:

My brother in law has a Mercury 40, and that's a gem of a motor. I think you will be happiest with 40-50 HP, not so much for the top speed, but for cruising mid-range. Of course, when it's time to hit the dock, getting back faster is nice, too.

Latest posts