My 1232 Alumacraft jon mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KCBizzy

Reaction score
New here to tinboats. Only have a few posts. Wanted to put together a somewhat small post of the mods I have done so far. I have plans to finish just need to get some time and can wrap it all up in a few hours.

I feel like I did a fair amount of research for this and spent the previous two months shopping around for everything I needed. Managed to avoid any sort of actual "marine supplies store" unless you count bass pro? Purchased most of my stuff either from amazon, lowes or Academy Sports (love that store). I wanted to achieve several goals with this project. Add a bow mount foot control trolling motor. Add comfy seats and some creature comfort. Make it look nice but also use good materials so it will last. TRY to keep weight down. I know it is a 1232 and people seem to get scared of mods but I will address that later.

bCVbP7w.jpg

So here she is as she sat almost two weeks ago, finally back in my garage to start the project. Was very excited, sounded like a great time to work on the boat, drink some beer and watch the Big 12 tournament. Rock Chalk!

IjxCnOY.jpg

First step was to cut marine ply to fit to the top of the benches and add a small bow platform for tm. I ended up with 3/4 marine ply so I would have no questions about strength or durability.

15omYcT.jpg

Carpet and test fitting tm. I purchased outdoor carpet for lowes for 45 cents a square foot and used marine carpet adhesive and a ton of staples on the back side of the boards. Also ended up with a Minn Kota Edge 45# thrust tm. Been great so far.

i8qCM4x.jpg

Used aluminum rivnuts to attach the ply to the benches. These 1/4-20 rivnuts worked fantastic.

v1jKQXV.jpg

Clean look even with plywood off.

Qv8jgZn.jpg

Stainless 1/4-20 tee nuts on the backside of the ply to secure seat/pedestal. Works great, solid.

Trq29V1.jpg

Aluminum angle ran across the tubing as ribs (ribs?) to mount the front platform to. Used aluminum 3/16 rivets in the medium length. Worked great very solid.

uS2nnym.jpg

Now that we put a few holes in the boat lets fasten everything together. Hey I think it looks pretty **** good. Also featured are cheapo chinese flood lights because why not?

WOWNda1.jpg

Flood lights.

EIPceI1.jpg

Installing a total of 4 companionway lights. 2 on each side of the front bench so everyone gets a little light while catfishing. Also featured is my marine junction box and switches for the lights. Only 2 switches are being used but figure leave a couple extra just in case.

bgU7Lh0.jpg

My excitement overcame my patience. Lets put it in the water! Testing it out without my small outboard. Worked great. Not terribly stable but definitely manageable and a lot of fun! People were concerned about weight but I have taken it out twice just by myself, 60 lbs battery and small 2-stroke outboard no problem. Also been out with my buddy (205 lbs) and no outboard and we were just fine. Could actually add a cooler and tackle. I live in a community with a no wake lake so it stays pretty calm. Just bass boats and pontoons putting around at 5mph. Boat is great for what I needed. Planning and execution seem to be pulled off pretty well with what I had in mind. Love my boat now!

LmV42jF.jpg

Will post more pics of the actual finished product. Sitting on my boat rack.

5CSNw4P.jpg

Cover.

gqIzHii.jpg

Bonus cat photo

jJB127b.jpg

Y'all have a good day now! thanks for looking.

Sorry the initial post was rushed as work was calling. I posted the pics from imgur I hope this is the proper way to do it?

Forgot to mention I purchased the Jon about a year ago brand new. Just been using a transom trolling motor and my outboard over that time. Was so tired of the butt pad flotation devices. All of the hardware I used outside of the rivnuts and rivets is stainless. I need to finish wiring the lights and possibly add in a rubber floor mat.

Question. With stainless screws being fastened into the aluminum rivnuts should I be concerned about galvanic corrosion? The boat will be stored outside 100% of the time but will be covered almost all the time.