My 1985 PolarKraft project (HELP, I BROKE my boat! page 13)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where did you mount your transducer for the garmin? I have the same unit I'm wanting to install up front,but am not crazy about the idea of mounting it to the TM, since I wouldnt get readings when it's not in the water. My previous unit was mounted at the back, with the transducer mounted on the transom, but I dont want to do that again. I like the idea of having it mounted up front, where I will be fishing.

The transducer is mounted on the back of the transom like in the instructions. just drill smaller holes than your screws and use plumber's tape on the threads. I havent had a leak there yet!

whats up dixie? just a couple more ?'s for ya........where did you get your carpet? what adhesive did you use? thanks

Express said:
whats up dixie? just a couple more ?'s for ya........where did you get your carpet? what adhesive did you use? thanks

I got my carpet at Lowes Hardware and the adhesive too. The adhesive I used is contact cement found over in the paint department. comes in a gallon container. works like a champ and its INSTANT stick. once you place carpet on it, there is no repositioning it. pm me if you have any mor questions about how I carpeted mine

I haz a MAJOR problem. Went fishing on the New River yesterday. Had a decent day fishing (6 boated). Finally got done fishing and was putting the boat on the trailer. i got the boat halfway on the trailer and then winched it the rest of the way up. Pulled the truck up to get boat ready for trailering. I do my usual walkaround of the boat (especially after smacking rocks in the river) and thats when I noticed something.

Apparently, when I winched the boat up the trailer, it broke the weld and was slowly pulling the front of the boat off like the top of a tin can!!! I dont have pics right now, but will get them today after work. Im so upset. Im hoping having it welded back will be strong enough.....

I dont know if its the location of my bow eyelet or what. I even have a backing plate behind the eyelet to help spread the stress out. I know the front of the boat sheet metal seemed kinda thin...bummer

this is an old pic but basically the red straight lines represents where the front has separated along the weld. the curved red line is location of eyelet.
In this build, I do not have an updated pic of where I changed the position of the eyelet to a vertical position and lower

boatpics006-1.jpg

Dixie

:shock: That sucks big time. If it's any help, my Polarkraft 1440 has a piece of 3/4" plywood just about the size of the bow as backing.

Dixie, I went back and looked at your build. Looks like your bow eye was put in horizontal instead of vertical, which may have caused your strap hook to pull up on the eye intsead of sliding up and keeping the force straight.

I had since fixed it, I will get a pic of it today to show how it is. Im still frustrated though. i mean it broke at the weld, usually the welds are stronger than the material lol.

dixie_boysles said:
I had since fixed it, I will get a pic of it today to show how it is. Im still frustrated though. i mean it broke at the weld, usually the welds are stronger than the material lol.

I edited the pic to show you where I have the eyelet. I put it there to keep the winch line straight. I even have the eyelet going through a 5/16 thick aluminum plate on the back of the sheetmetal to reinforce it. i cant really put it higher as i wont be able to bolt it due to the front bench being in the way. ( i left it there for support and the foam)

i personally think that the eyelet is WAY too low. with it that low, when you winch it it's putting the stress right where it broke. with it up closer to the top, it puts the force on the sronger pieces of the boat, and distributes the force down the side rails better. you had a really nice bow piece replaced on the front, and i'd personally mount it as close to that as possible. this way, when you winch it it would be putting the force on the tubular aluminum that's welded up there.

i literally just had this happen on the jet jon i'm building. i float tested it this weekend, and when i was winching up the boat, i heard what sounded like the fiberglass cracking (it's a fiberglass jon boat). i was on a boat ramp with a VERY steep incline, and i was winching it up about a 30 degree angle. luckily, it was the wood reinforcement cracking inside, not the fiberglass. i relocated the u bolt up high on the bow, and it worked much better.

Where did you get the carpet from? Has it held up ok? What width did you get?

I'm getting ready to do mine.

Thanks.

Latest posts