My 2022 SunTracker 22DLX Thread

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuzzyGrub

Reaction score
Scheduled to pick her up on Thursday at 1PM. :) Highly likely, my last new boat purchase. Given my only other new boat was my 1st, a Walmart Fishmaster 14' semi-V, in the late 80's, seems fitting. It is always quiet over here in the "Pontoon" area, so will document my experience with it. What I like, what I don't. Eventially, what I mod or change. Probably won't get splashed until late April, early May. It will feel like forever though. ;)

Posted some stock photos so you can see the layout. It did come with the optional 150HP Mercury, by far the largest outboard I've ever had. The SunTracker website says between 29-38mph. My expectation is the low 30's. Should have enough power to pull grandkids tubing. I have a gps fishfinder to install, along with a marine battery charger. I'm sure the list will grow, once I get some time on her.

Attachments

• IMG_7381.jpg
    IMG_7381.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 1
  • 1-charcoal_metallic.jpg
    1-charcoal_metallic.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 2-charcoal_metallic.jpg
    2-charcoal_metallic.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 1
Congrats @FuzzyGrub! Quite the upgrade from an old 14. I hope it suits you and your family well and you get lots of quality time logged on the water this summer!

Yes please post more about it. I’ve been hoping the pontoon section would take off a bit more.

Tommorows the big day! :) Went with Progressive Boat Insurance.

Figuring out what to use the BP $500 gift card on. Oil, filters, gear oil, etc. The Mecury Vessel View Mobile caught my eye. Vessel View That will most likely make the final list.

Spare prop will wait until I get some load testing with the stock one. The good news is that the Rubex and FlowTorque II hubs I have will fit the Merc 150. While the pitch will be too much, I'll have a crawl home option.

Woke up to 3" of fresh snow. Considered switching pick-up to Friday. Good thing I didn't, four other people were already scheduled. Everything went smooth. I spent allot time looking it over. Welds all looked good. One smudge on the vinyl near the front gate. It will likely clean-up, put was noted on the paperwork, just in case. I was surprised to see a SS prop on it. I think they must of miss-placed the alum one.

No problem towing it. Only had to go about 20 minutes. it will feel like a long wait for ice out and water level restoring.

Attachments

• IMG_7479.jpg
    IMG_7479.jpg
    330.6 KB · Views: 1
Engine break-in procedure looked similar to the Yamaha, with:

"For the first two hours of operation, run the engine at varied throttle settings, up to 4500 rpm or at three-quarters throttle," but with the adder of "and at full throttle for approximatly one minute it every ten."

"For the next eight hours, avoid full throttle for more than 5 minutes."

No break-in oil and filter change. Just every one hundred hours or at end of year.

Congrats on the new boat! 29-38 is moving very nicely for a pontoon! Mine barely gets to 20, but it only has a 70 on the back. I suspect that you have much bigger diameter toons on yours.

For what it's worth, we have used this pontoon more in a summer than any boat I've ever had, and I've had a bunch of them. Now, my wife, who isn't a boat person, will tell me that we are meeting so-and-so tomorrow. Ha ha! I love it. Have been trying to get her on the boat with me for years, now we do it several times a month during the summer.

One important tip - Buy a portable grill. It's SO much better, even if it's just dogs or burgers. Other boats will literally get jealous when they smell the food.

I was using an old Walmart portable, but the insides were getting rusty, and I've had it for probably 10 years, so I just ponied up and purchased this one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/325528865399
This is a really nice, stainless steel unit. I opted for the single burner, because the one we have been using does an excellent job, and being attached to a 20lb tank takes the fun away for me. I'm confident that this unit will serve us well.

Again, congrats!

Most of our outings have been two to four hours. That will probably increase, but will need some facilities for the ladies. ;) A grill is definitly on the list.

I do have to revamp my canopy cover to fit the pontton boat. It won't cover the whole boat, but should cover the full playpen area. Down the road, will get a larger one, but will also need to add to the boat dock length.

Attachments

• IMG_6313.jpg
    IMG_6313.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Congrats Fuzzy! WOW, what a nice toon! (y) :D. Just saw your post, as I don't visit the Pontoon section.
Those are some nice top speed #s. I like the black on black color scheme. If the Starlite Blue was not available on my boat order, I was going with black.

I'm also considering the Vessel View. Need to find out of it can also be used for direct wiring to FF, as I'd like all data on FF screen.

Vessel View and a nice BBQ... should eat up just about all of that $500 gift card!

Congrats Fuzzy! WOW, what a nice toon! (y) :D. Just saw your post, as I don't visit the Pontoon section.
Those are some nice top speed #s. I like the black on black color scheme. If the Starlite Blue was not available on my boat order, I was going with black.

I'm also considering the Vessel View. Need to find out of it can also be used for direct wiring to FF, as I'd like all data on FF screen.

Vessel View and a nice BBQ... should eat up just about all of that $500 gift card!
Thx. My wife wanted the dual captains chairs. If they came on the 20' / 90Hp, probably would have went that way.

I only took a shallow dive on the wired NMEA connection. I think it takes a special engine cable plus a gateway. The Mercury OEM gateway that popped up looked expensive, but some other aftermarket stuff also immerged.

I don't think the Vessel View supports wired. I have seen some reports of bluetooth connectivity issues. With the distance on the pontoon, I might have to play with the module location. In your case, the short distance, shouldn't be an issue.

My wish list is full, so waiting on that gift card.

Tinman, I received an email today about the gift card. Had to register the boat HIN number and they send the code and pin to you. You can use the VIP discount, but it is old school, have to call: 888.486.8740 and give them sku numbers and qty.

They did give the discount on the Vessel View. I thought they might consider it electronics.

Last edited:
Tinman, I received an email today about the gift card. Had to register the boat HIN number and they send the code and pin to you. You can use the VIP discount, but it is old school, have to call: 888.486.8740 and give them sku numbers and qty.

They did give the discount on the Vessel View. I thought they might consider it electronics.
Good to know the discount applies to the Vessel View!
I'm going to go with the less expensive Vessel View Mobil, as you are correct, the gateway black box is around $700!! Since it's bluetooth, too bad it doesn't connect to FFs that have bluetooth, which I believe the HDS Live does.

Also, considering a fuel/water separator. Have you considered one?

Sorry, I ordered the mobile version . Should be here today.

I have a large canister water filter on the shelf. I was surprised that the SunTracker didn’t come with one. I would of thought Mercury would have required it in their rigging. One did come in the G3 / Yamaha.

I also bought engine oil, filter, gear oil, gas treatment, and some 303.

Last edited:
That sounds like about what I'll be using my gift card for. Will you be doing your own service (engine/gear oil; water pump, plugs, etc)?

That sounds like about what I'll be using my gift card for. Will you be doing your own service (engine/gear oil; water pump, plugs, etc)?
That's the plan. I've done it a number of small outboards and a Mercruser 350/G2. I will get an OEM service manual. BTW, I looked thru the Mercury engine install procedure. It warns of adding filters, that they may restrict flow. I'll probably wait on the water filter. I don't want an excuse for them to not warrantee it. There is a small fuel filter that is suppose to be replace every 100 hours / yearly.

Latest posts