My Basket Case ( 12' V Hull Restoration/ Conversion)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
here's the paint job. Still looks like an old tin boat! LOL Trimmed the floor to allow for carpet; have to reseal

1545871_445589648875395_1878241211_n.jpg

1604808_445591822208511_1236918862_n.jpg

Boat looks great! I really like the aluminum stringer system, I might steal that idea :wink:

Thanks jcupo6; If I had it to do again I might have laid the front and rear stringer and maybe one in the middle and run 2 or 3 length wise to save work, wt (not much) and time. :|

Petit EasyPoxy is basically like another version of SteelFlex? How hard was that to apply? I'm thinking of doing either SteelFlex or Petit EasyPoxy on the outside of my boat eventually.

I'm not sure about that, because I don't know Steelflex; I know it's a Polyuthane based paint; I goes on great and is pretty self-leveling. I rolled and tipped it ( accually I brushed most of it on and it din't leave a single brush mark ): didn't take much and the gloss is good.

How hard did it come out? I'm wondering if it chips or if it's as durable as steel flex turns out to be.

Again, knowing nothing about Steelflex I could not say. According to the adds it's a durable Paint. Don't think it's in the same classification as Steelflex, unless Steelflex is classified as a paint; But as a paint, I guess it all depends on your prep and primer. I have read were it has lasted for years and retained it'd gloss; However, I guess that would depend on use and care. I think your question may better be answered by someone else as a New Topic.

If I remember right I did hear about Steelflex being used the same way Glovit is used, I could be totally wrong though. I used Glovit as my base inside and out prior to any paint or primer.

Hey man, guess who's moving back to Vero Beach, I landed a job at the VNA Hospice there. I couldn't be more happy with the fishing in the Indian River and I have a couple of really good bass holes as well. Let me know if you ever come to town we should hit the lake sometime.

The floor bracing looks great, very nice work. I love the documentation of the steps, I need to do this to my boat and your photos are a gigantic help!

I literally joined this site today, read your tracking on this boat and all you did, turned out really nice. Just bought a 12' Lowe for my fish hungry young son and will be moving forward on transforming it into a true fishing boat for him. Your trials have given great advice and I hope to do the same for all, My one advantage is I am a sheet metal worker by trade and grew up building boats with my father so hopefully all i have learned will help in this build. I will be tig welding most adds to this one along with bucking some rivits. Thanks for the pics and step by step, Now catch some big ones!

even tho it is a couple of years old, still a nice read.....
too bad the photos didn't survive.
This thread has been viewed almost 18,000 times since December of 2012 !!!!

Just wanted to mention that this is why we like to see your LOCATION
in your profiles . . . sort of brings it all together when reading the nice builds.

I am in Winter Garden . . . about 10 miles from Clermont and the Chain of Lakes.
we are so Blessed with being in the Heart and Soul of the world's best BASS COUNTRY ever.
Cheers to all. Please add your location to your profiles.
Uncle William.jpg