My Custom Side Console for Tiller Steered Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin Man

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I built this side console to house my 9" FF/Chartplotter, a couple of 12V plugs, and a volt meter. It has 12V main shut off switch to left of box. This shuts off ALL power to console (except for outboard; I decided to have it directly wired to battery).

I looked around and found a few examples of side consoles (ex. new Crestliner tillered steered boats) but not too many for a smaller boat.

It is mounted to port side at rear of boat. My boat has a flotation pod box (one on each side...starboard and port).

When I used the boat last, I was contemplating where to mount a FF. On a tiller steered boat, when seated to starboard, you are seated slightly turned to the left of straight ahead, which made the port side box an ideal location.

I considered mounting in front of me (driver) using Railblaza mounts, but thought the FF may be an obstruction for fishing and dock lines. Also, if I ever left boat in a marina/slip I'd have to remove the FF (possible theft if left mounted). This console provides a more permanent mounting location, more secure, and ability to add 12V plugs for phone charging, switches, and whatnot.

Made of 1/2" birch and oak plywood.
Face is tilted at approx. 49 degrees.
18" long/wide; 12" deep; 8" tall at top of face.

The top is removable. I used a strip of thin rubber where lid edge rests against face; this was done to keep moisture/water from entering box.

Console slopes downward towards side of hull, as I wanted the box to be lower than the gunnel.

Painted with semi-gloss exterior gray paint and didn't like the finish on plywood. Decided to finish with Krylon Stone Coarse Texture Paint )semi-gloss. Used a clear semi-gloss as final step to protect finish and assist with waterproofing.
The Krylon paint matches somewhat with the vinyl floor which is also used on side storage and seat/flotation pods.

I hope this provides someone with some ideas on how to build a console for a tillered steered boat.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3774.jpg
    IMG_3774.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_3773.jpg
    IMG_3773.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_3772.jpg
    IMG_3772.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 129
Very well integrated and layed out. :)

I never thought of using the faux stone for exterior. I used them years ago, building speakers. Yes, I'm a product of the 70's. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_6380.jpg
    IMG_6380.jpg
    564.8 KB · Views: 85

Latest posts