My first taste of a higher-end reel

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poolie

Reaction score
This past weekend I got my first taste of a higher end baitcaster. I've been using the around a $100 range and have been happy, but recently have had an itch to try out something a little better just to see if it really makes a difference.

I did a lot of research and in the $175-$225 range there's lots of great reels, and for each of those I could find at least ten people that love um and ten people that thought they were crap. Everyone has an opinion I guess. So... even though I seem to be in the minority, I've always had good luck with the quality of the BPS reels I've purchased so I made my decision and picked up a Johnny Morris Elite reel, spooled it with Seaguar AbrazX, mounted it on my new St Croix Mojo rod and wandered over to my parents small pond in their backyard to give it a try. I took the first cast sort of easy since I wasn't sure I had the brakes set properly... OMG how sweet. It was perfect. The retrieve was smooth as silk. I put a little bit of muscle in the second cast and darn near threw a 3/8 oz spinner bait completely across the pond. That's never happened before. The Mojo rod was excellent too. The single Colorado blade felt like a Harley thumping on the end of the line.

Needless to say I'm very happy with the purchase. I kind of wish I hadn't been so pleased though. The bar has now been raised and I don't think I can go back :) ...stupid bait monkey.

Congrats. I hope it stands the test of time for you. I haven't had any luck with the bps reels. Love their extreme rods though. My bro picked up a Johnny Morris spinning reel this off season. He's stoked to use it on our smallie trip coming up this weekend.

I did the same thing as you when I bought my first high end reel... Now you're stuck - you'll never go back to the cheapos (which are still good, but nothing like a high end reel)

As Russ said, you are stuck. Now that I put a Daiwa Viento (210 dollars) on a St. Croix Avid (180 dollars) there is no going back. Now I have a St. Croix Legend Tournament coming, and still looking at reels for it.

bassboy1 said:
As Russ said, you are stuck. Now that I put a Daiwa Viento (210 dollars) on a St. Croix Avid (180 dollars) there is no going back. Now I have a St. Croix Legend Tournament coming, and still looking at reels for it.

stay with the viento's... I think it's better to have the same reel on all rods because you know exactly how to work it... my 3 are pretty much all I use now even though I have 5 other setups that I carry with me

russ010 said:
bassboy1 said:

stay with the viento's... I think it's better to have the same reel on all rods because you know exactly how to work it... my 3 are pretty much all I use now even though I have 5 other setups that I carry with me

That would work well if this rod was a casting rod. However, this is what I finally decided to go with for my main shakeyhead setup. St. Croix Legend Tournament Spinning, 6'8" Medium Extra Fast.

On my next casting rods, I probably won't go with the Viento on all of them. While I like the reel for finesse applications, I don't like it so much for the power fishing techniques. I am looking more into the Abu Revos for my faster retrieve techniques.

I tell ya, I had no idea the difference it would make. Time to slowly start migrating my gear to a new level. I agree with Russ that having basically the same reels on your go-to rods all the same. I'm going to have to do a little soul searching to decide what reel I'll eventually go with. I was comfortable buying one JM Elite, but not sure I want to invest in a half dozen. I've read the long term quality isn't there so not sure. I take exceptional care of my stuff so maybe it will hold up for me.

One a side note, I received the St. Croix Avid in the mail yesterday that I got off eBay. Holy Cow what a light rod. Now if I would only find 3 or 4 more at $100 each. BB, I see why you like them!

--Poolie

People at work make fun of me a lot for spending more than 20 bucks on a reel that isnt a Zebco 33 or something. Of course they are the guys who think they can outfish everyone with a Scooby Doo pole. I never thought an upgrade in gear would make such a huge differance. I bought Pfluegers flagship reel the Patriarch against almost everyones statement about how Pflueger is junk. I couldnt be more happy. It took a while to get use to, but now i wouldnt trade it for a thing.

ilinimud said:
People at work make fun of me a lot for spending more than 20 bucks on a reel that isnt a Zebco 33 or something. Of course they are the guys who think they can outfish everyone with a Scooby Doo pole. I never thought an upgrade in gear would make such a huge differance. I bought Pfluegers flagship reel the Patriarch against almost everyones statement about how Pflueger is junk. I couldnt be more happy. It took a while to get use to, but now i wouldnt trade it for a thing.

I remember reading your post not too long ago when you got it. I believe the Patriarch and the JM Elite are pretty much the same reel. I know both Pflueger and BPS have low end reels that justify the label as 'junk', but I also think their flagship stuff is okay.

Yeah, they are pretty much the same. I LOVE the Dual Cast Control now. I have seen a backlash start, and it will work itself out on the cast. Feels good when the braking actually works the way it is suppose to. Thats more than i can say about my Accurist PT.

Good luck with the BPS reel, they seem to have good reviews. The reviews i read for the Patriarch were great. A lot of "this may be my first Pflueger, but definately not my last." Thats always a good sign to buy for me.

Be careful..once you start going with high-end equipment, it becomes an obsession. Soon what you have invested in fishing gear will pass what is in your 401k. It has happened to me, and probably a few others here. Sure is fun, though.

When I get too old to fish, I will put it all on eBay and use the proceeds to finance my nursing home expenses...lol.

man that Skeet Reese Revo I got is AWESOME!!! I haven't pulled a fish in with it yet, but I changed the line on it when I fished with bassboy1 on saturday - had braid on it and changed it to my normal fluoro... I can finally pitch and make it go a long ways!!!! The handle is a God send too - it's amazing the fatigue it takes off your hand.

russ010 said:
man that Skeet Reese Revo I got is AWESOME!!! I haven't pulled a fish in with it yet, but I changed the line on it when I fished with bassboy1 on saturday - had braid on it and changed it to my normal fluoro... I can finally pitch and make it go a long ways!!!! The handle is a God send too - it's amazing the fatigue it takes off your hand.

LA LA LA LA LA LA LA... can't hear you :)

I figured you'd love it.

russ010 said:
Lets just say after trying his for a few minutes Sunday, even with the Braid, there will soon be one of those in my boat. They are awesome.

Hey Russ, did you get a rod for your Skeet yet. If not have you checked out the Lamiglas Skeet Reese rods? That would look sweet, and i hear great things about thier blanks.

ilinimud said:
Hey Russ, did you get a rod for your Skeet yet. If not have you checked out the Lamiglas Skeet Reese rods? That would look sweet, and i hear great things about thier blanks.

I decided to save my money and went to a local tackle shot to test a few rods... I am still going to get a Kistler later, but right now I really want to put most money I can spend into my boat.

So with that being said, I ended up getting a Daiwa Procyon 7'0" MH for $50. The bottom picture with the split grip is the one I got. I really don't like split grip rods, but the blan on this one is pretty thick, and the cork at the back is not a little piece that I couldn't palm when I fish it.

This rod is actually really sensitive and I could feel everything on the bottom. Switched from braid to fluoro and the sensitivity increased even more, not to mention the difference in casting..

If you're on a budget, I'd recommend this rod...

https://www.tackledirect.com/daiwa-pcn-701mhxb-procyon-trigger-rod.html

So you are liking the Kistlers huh. They dont use very much Fuji components on their rods do they? Does that not affect the performance? I thought about getting the Magnesium TS, but went with the Powell Max instead. I love it so far.

Latest posts