My latest invention..Flexible boat seat mount

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
When I bought my latest tinny (2007-1756 Lowe SV), I didn't sit in the driver's seat. I was a few days away from getting my second knee replaced. I rode next to the driver on the sea trial.

I didn't notice how very close the Prior Owner had positioned the side-console to the back deck seat. He was a smaller guy than I and must have had truly small feet. My size 12's wouldn't fit in the opening very well, and I was too close to the steering wheel to be safe or comfortable.

It was very difficult to get into and out of the driver's seat every time I wanted to move the boat. A solution had to be found.

One solution was to permanently move the seat mount further back. That would leave a big hole in the deck and probably get in the way of opening the rear hatch. Another potential solution was to move the Center Console forward. That meant some new cables, and, more problematic, was that the P.O. had installed a baitwell in front of the Console!

The 3rd and final solution was to invent something that would allow the seat to be back when I wanted it back, and yet pivot forward so that I could get the back hatch open easily. If the seat also rotated that was a serious plus. A large side-benefit of this solution was that I would be raised up about 3 inches. I like that feature a lot.

Viola...One new seat pedestal; One new seat base plate,( similar to the items LINKED below. ) I used two pieces of a 2x6 cut to the lengths necessary to move the seat back. I bolted the 2x6's together with galvanized lag screws; added a couple of galvanized bolts and nuts just to be sure...and covered the wooden portion with left-over boat carpet. I also added a piece of WalMart cutting board on the bottom to protect the boat's original carpet.

The hardest part was grinding out enough of the 2x6s to accommodate the recessed part of the seat base plate. I've done that job before and have yet to find the perfect tool. Chisels and hand grinders did the job this time.

Pictures and LINKs below.

10122477.jpg

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/marine-raider-plated-seat-mount#repChildCatid=10844

51mBp9G4tCL._AC_US160_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000C6I0C/ref=sxbs_sxwds-stvp_2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=3341940462&pd_rd_wg=ndkFT&pf_rd_r=4A3JM5MRTQYX1MY2P5R8&pf_rd_s=desktop-sx-bottom-slot&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_i=B0000C6I0C&pd_rd_w=HgV6K&pf_rd_i=springfield+boat+seat+plate&pd_rd_r=7e5ae9d9-e6f8-4d61-a4d6-406ac80f582c&ie=UTF8&qid=1511449577&sr=2

Attachments

• IMG_20171122_093704.jpg
    IMG_20171122_093704.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 778
  • IMG_20171122_093701.jpg
    IMG_20171122_093701.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 778
  • IMG_20171123_082654.jpg
    IMG_20171123_082654.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 778
  • IMG_20171123_082636.jpg
    IMG_20171123_082636.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 778
Looks good, Rich.

Necessity is the mother of invention

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Yep. The too-tight configuration of the side console, along with a five or six-foot long "coffin" taking up much of the open area, called for remediation.

The "coffin" is gone. It was replaced with a ten/twelve inch side cabinet. Similar to a gun cabinet on a duck boat. Lots of room for boat hooks; a few lure boxes; a drift chute; and other "stuff" that I carry along.

This boat is coming along. Today I installed some steps to get on and off of the trailer, though that install didn't go well. I'll give the install another shot tomorrow and see if I can make it work.

Today, I also received a vented cap for the EPA 6 gallon tank. She's been dying out when putt-putting along at near zero speed. From what I've read, the new cap may do the trick. We shall see.

Progress is our most important product!

On my old boat I was able to scooch the console foward about an inch. Basic simple mods to the seat in front of it, and side mounting location were easy. That inch seems like a mile when your cramped. I went a little further by modifying the height and adding a larger diameter wheel to make it easy to stand. I loved it.

34y5qhh.jpg

I'm 6'2" and had plenty of room after mods to sit and stand. It might be as easy as moving a couple of bolt holes. The cables and wires have slack.

34qw7mc.jpg

Latest posts