my new toy! Sears Gamefisher 12ft flatbottom (& questions!)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amateurhour

Reaction score
So I've been MIA for the last year when I got an old 70s Richline 14ft semi v and trailer for a $200 bass pro gift card.

Unfortunately not much has gotten done with that project. I ended up getting the hull cleaned up and restored but the trailer is still in need of two new wheels and tires (and a spare preferably) and the little 3hp motor I had for it just wasn't enough to push it so I ended up selling the motor (which I now regret) and I got a couple of fishing kayaks and used those all last summer/fall.

Well it's that time of year again when I live on craigslist just looking for stuff to trade and I came across someone looking to get rid of his 12ft jon boat for a decent fishing kayak. We met up this past weekend and I'm definitely happy with my new trade.

Here's my new girl!

20140505boat1.jpg

I couldn't believe the shape this thing was in for a 30 year old boat. (I'm assuming 30, since the last two numbers on the HIN are 82. Also this the first boat I've ever had where the HIN is still in tact!)

20140505boat2.jpg

Seriously this thing looks perfect!

20140505boat3.jpg

Look at the underside of it!

20140505boat4.jpg

And the transom isn't all beat up, nor is the drain cracked

20140505boat5.jpg

I do have one question though, I noticed this on the rear transom. It looks like the rivets have come loose. Should I just hammer them down or re-do them? I need to replace that plywood anyway.

20140505boat6.jpg

This thing only weighs like 85lbs and fits perfectly in the back of my truck, so I guess my next goal is finding a good trolling motor or little 3-5hp motor for it. In the mean time I'm going to use use oars.

It's missing the coast guard sticker. What's the weight capacity on something like this? Just wondering if I can take a friend out on it.

Thanks! It's good to be back!

The Sears 12ftr that I had has a board on the outside of the transom. Wonder if thats what the rivets were for.

Steve

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=351294#p351294 said:
acwd » 49 minutes ago[/url]"]The Sears 12ftr that I had has a board on the outside of the transom. Wonder if thats what the rivets were for.

Steve

It's funny I didn't catch that before I asked the question. Hell you can see the tan line on the back where that piece of wood used to be. They replaced it with a small piece of plywood on the interior of the hull so I guess either way works but I'll probably put it back the way it was stock.

Thanks!

Now to start fabbing up a deck.

Mine had plywood on the inside and outside. I think it was a inch thick in the inside and an half inch on the outside. Been too many nights ago. Sold the boat while back so cant go look.

Steve

Thanks for the info! That will come in handy when I replace the transom.

I had a few questions as this is my first flatbottom.

1) The boat is 48" across the back and 36" across the front, so is it a 1236 or 1248?

2) Since it's like 30 years old, do I need to dig out the old foam under the benches and replace it? I only ask because that was easy on my v hull since the wood covered open benches.

3) I looked up some info on outriggers and pontoons and there's not a lot of people that have done that. I'm curious as to why? I love them on my kayaks/canoes and it seems like a perfect fit for a smaller jon.

4) There's no knee brace on the transom, should I add one if I plan to go with a 5 or 7 hp motor?

Thanks!