My wife threw down the gauntlet, and offering a NICE PRIZE

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMO, 1000 calories is pretty extreme regardless of your weight. While you're losing a lot of weight, as said before, some of it is muscle. While I realize its all about the scale, you might want to consider bumping it up a tad to avoid a lot of muscle loss.

(While I'm sure you're likely to ignore this post and say "if it aint broke don't fix it", keep this post in mind when you plateau. Upping your calories ironically boosts fat loss when you hit a sticking point, or find yourself losing motivation.)

Good luck and keep it up

Thanks guys!.. When I hit my plataeu, I planned on doing Wii Fit, and the Biggest Loser DVD that I have. I have been taking the stairs at work and since my father has been in the hospital again, I been taking the stairs there as well. I am going to buy some weights but Walmart is always out of stock on the arm dumbells that I want. At work I am going to start doing leg lifts in my office and will get some leg weights for that. Right now my arthritis is aching from the wet and cold weather so it makes that difficult.

I dont want to loose muscle or anything and I am actually working with an ex co worker on going to the Y together. He is getting a promotion in Feb at his job and waiting for shift change to find out when he can go and I will try to go the same time. This guy did 800 cals a day and went to the Y 3 times a week and did the eliptical machine and in 3 months he lost alot of weight. He was the same size that I started out as and currently where I want to be.

Question, what is that stuff called Stacker 2 and will it help my loss or make me gain? Remember I have an I.T. job so I am not really all that active while working unless we are moving computers around or something, but thats rare..

Thanks again!!!

Theoretically it would help you lose weight, but I don't recommend it.

Fat burners and the like are often gimmicks. While there are some that really work (if you insist on using one, PM me and I can recommend something), I wouldn't use them if I were you. IMO, if you're not counting calories and macronutrients religiously, theres no point in spending money on any kind of weightloss supp. In addition to your lack of exercise, its not really worth while.

Take every effort to add exercise to your day. I'm a big fan on manipulating diet to lost fat, as opposed to doing cardio (mostly because I have running). Man was made to throw a rock at a rabbit, not chase it down :lol:. With that being said, being active really does help. At the most basic level, its all about eating less calories than you use at the end of the day.

OK thanks.. I dont really want to use that type of crap anyway to help me lose my poundage.

Isnt it like 3500 cals burned to be a pound drop in weight. Sometimes when I look at food items and see something very small that is 100 calories. I think to myself, is this worth a mile of running to take the calories back off.. So then I decide to skip the 100 cal snack packs and things like that.

I realize that the original post was in 2008 but speaking of DeLoreans....how about this one for motivation....

Attachments

• 4X4 DELOREAN.jpg
    4X4 DELOREAN.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 463
hahahahahaa. I've seen that beast before. He ruined the car. But.. he owns several D's and I think he made this one and a hovercraft D out of left over parts from previous restores..

Well last night my wife and I went out to dinner on a date ( no kids with us) and I dropped another .4 pounds. =D>

I had a 3 triangles of a chicken quesadilla that was an appitizer ( 450 cals i am guessing since 8 triangles were 1000 )
Coke Zero to drink
Salad with ranch dressing, but I had the dressing in a cup and lightly dipped a bite in the sauce then blotted it around the rest of the salad before I took a bit, I am guessing a tablespoon of that was used around 160 cals guessing.
Green Beans the waiter said about 250 cals
6oz Sirloin no steak sauce was about 400 cals
a couple small pinches of bread - 30 cals

I had the going out to eat 'experience', I did not go crazy and get cheese fries or anything, I ate really slow, I was full when we left. The end of the day, I still had about 600 calories to spend if I wanted to.. I did not eat past 7:30pm either.

So there was some protein, veggies, bread, for nutrition.

So far i am still mentally pumped about losing weight, not discouraged or burnt out and to be honest, it hasnt really been all that hard, this time around. For breakfast I think i am going to go get some of those protein bars from GNC or something.

I am going to join the YMCA in in Feb with a friend...

I think for lunch today, I may head to Subway for a 6inch sandwich instead of just a homemade salad...

Not that I'd recommend it to everyone, but I did the atkins diet (no carbs) for a few weeks before I couldn't stand it anymore. Turns out, there's only so many times you can have fajitas and steak for lunch and dinner before you need some bread. Lost 15 pounds in those 3 weeks, but that's all I needed to lose anyway so the knees didn't hurt when playing basketball/exercising.

One of the best exercises I found has been tennis. You have to move to play, your purpose in exercising is to get better at tennis (I have trouble exercising without a purpose), and you aren't relying on someone else to help you win a game - It's all you. I had a friend give me lessons one summer and never felt better! Got all the way down to 205 and built the legs up in muscle at the same time. The friend/instructor broke his racket the second day I beat him - and now he lives 8 hours away so no more free instruction :(

Walk as a good clip and or ride bike too. I am 50, was 190 lbs which is pork chop for a 5ft 5in shorty. I got rid of the bread and starch for the most part and stoped most of the candy and all of the soda. I took off 50 lbs in 5 months just watching what I ate, how much and walking briskly. I eat lots of vegies too. go easy on the taters and try to avoid anything fried or deep fried. Baking on a rack and rotisserie is great to as all the fat drips away.

Best of luck to ya!! I hope you make it to your goal!!

Over the weekend I started eating a protein bar ( 20g protein) for breakfast and a couple glasses of good ol' H20.
This really does fill me up all morning and I then have been eating a 6inch subway club ( no mayo ) ( no pot chips) and diet soda for lunch which makes me really full feeling. I have also been having a somewhat normal dinner but healthier, and smaller large portions around 7-7:30 at night and not eating anything else before bedtime. I have lost 3 pounds over the weekend.

During one of my indoor walking sessions at walmart ( i use walmart as my indoor walk track heheheheh) I came across a small weight set kit that had to small bars, and 40lbs of weights for $20 bucks ( Golds Gym Branded) I thought it was a good deal so I purchsed that last night. I am going to start doing 20 min. evening lifts with those to build arm muscle some and try to figure out how to make a bar or buy a bar for my legs so I can do leg lifts with it as well..I've never really lifted weights before so this is a new area for me.

Does anyone have any good starter exercises that I could do in 20min a night with small arm weights that will build muscle and burn calories?

So from 12-21-09 until this morning 1-25-10 I went from an embarrassing 289 to a 262.8, I am 6 foot 1 in height.

I know some of you here are probably health nuts and such, And I want to thank you for not laughing at me or poke fun at my postings, which is one reason why I dont want to go to a public gym. I'm trying really really hard, my will power is still high as well as my drive to lose weight and live healthier, plus I want my prize :)

Keep it up.. I'm glad to see you're getting more into weight training.

Not what you might expect, but it wouldn't be all that bad to have some carbs with your breakfast. A protein bar might be a good addition to some oatmeal or a bagel. Eating carbs early gives your body a chance to use them efficiently, and then cutting your carbs way down after 3PM goes a long way. I know dinner is the hardest meal because its likely the largest (and possibly not cooked by you, if you're lucky :lol: ), but thats when you really want to focus on cutting out your carbs.

Great call on not eating anything before bed. If you do feel the need, keep some cottage cheese, hardboiled eggs, or anything else thats quick, high in protein, and low in carbs around. If anything, it will help you build muscle (muscle is built when resting, not lifting), but won't impact your fatloss.

Keep up the good work!

Well, Dont laugh or poke fun, but I did my 1st workout last night for 20 minutes. I just did arm curls like what I found on youtube. I did not over do the weight, something easy that i could do to keep the stamina up without injuring myself. I did 8 slow reps of 10 for each arm. I also did 2 reps of 15 with the weight behind my head and lifting up. I tried the lawn mower move ( what I call it) where you put the weight on the floor and pull it up like starting a lawn mower but I think I did that wrong and I only did 1 rep of 15 of that on each arm. I know this may not sound like alot, I was not sore the morning after ( except my elbow joint on my left arm, not muscle related) I need to see if I can find some type of folding bench/seat that can be stowed away when not in use.

Tonight I am going to work on my lower body for 20 min to give the upper muscle time to heal from the workout. I will rotate my workouts like this every night. I thought it was kinda weird seeing the veins on my arms popped out like they were going to rupture. I have never really seen them do that before.. LOL!!!

Tonight, situps, jumping jacks, and stair stepping ( will use my last basement step to do that or go buy a workout step.)

I havent been able to workout since i had been visiting my father when he was in the hospital before he passed. I am going to start up again next week.

Just by doing my diet, life style change , calorie watching thing that I have been doing, I have dropped down to 252lbs... I had one point for a month I was at a stand still, but I am past that point and starting to slowly lose again.

Jim said:
300 calories every 3 hours, 5-6 times per day. Eat what you want, don't go over 300. Works for me, down to 220.

So technically one could eat nothing but McDonald's cheese burgers on this diet which are only 300 calories!!!!! Where do I sign-up Jim? :lol: :lol: