Mystery Boat...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Krusty

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I recently purchased this 1993 15' Sylvan Pro-Yukon. I can't find that specific model anywhere, including the Smokercraft and Sylvan websites. The capacity label says Smokercraft. It's a beefy boat with a factory floor, side console and built-in 12 gallon gas tank. I'd sure like to see the specs for it, at least the weight. There might be an equivalent Smoker-badged model.

The motor is a Merc 40hp ELPTO, 4 cylinder. It started and ran but I haven't had a chance to run it in the can. The power tilt/trim is disconnected and I don't know what is going on with the mechanism. Looking at the manual, it seems complicated. The oil injection has also been disconnected so it runs on pre-mix. If/when I switch to a 4 stroke I'll have the fun of cleaning out the tank.

I have not had it on the water yet. The trailer is totally rusted out so I'm in the market for a "new" one.

I'm also in the market for a 4 stroke Plan B motor (aka kicker). Since for me, the Plan B part is more important than the kicker part, what would be the biggest reasonable motor?

More surprises to follow, I'm sure. Used boats = pig in a poke.

I know, I'm always asking for info. Maybe one of these days I'll know enough to return the favor.

Attachments

• Capacity Tag.jpeg
    Capacity Tag.jpeg
    180.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Interior Back to Front.jpeg
    Interior Back to Front.jpeg
    178.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Starboard Side.jpeg
    Starboard Side.jpeg
    164.8 KB · Views: 2
I recently purchased this 1993 15' Sylvan Pro-Yukon. I can't find that specific model anywhere, including the Smokercraft and Sylvan websites. The capacity label says Smokercraft. It's a beefy boat with a factory floor, side console and built-in 12 gallon gas tank. I'd sure like to see the specs for it, at least the weight. There might be an equivalent Smoker-badged model.
I found the catalogue page for the 1993 models...some things look off based on that - your boat looks more like a Classic Fisherman than a Yukon.
1993 Sylvan Catalogue - Pg 18-19
Sylvan.png

Last edited:
I have a 16' Sylvan side console, 1992 model, great boat !! I also have a 92 Merc 4 cylinder two stroke 40 hp...excellent running motor !! Idles so slow tou can almost hear each cylinder fire. My oil injection system works excellent, most of my research claims it to be one of the better systems. My Sylvan boat is very well made, not one single drop (leak) after a day on the water, takes waves quite well. The power trim is a big avvantage to gain max speed. My boat is heavy with 3 group 31 batteries plus a starting battery, plus 55 lb thrust trolling motor plus all my gear...over 1000 lbs plus the motor. Mine tops out at 31+ mph (gps) ..

Just did some research, it appears your boat is a "Sea Monster" side console, boat weighs approx 1000 lbs dry and has a max 50 hp rating. Looked up the Sylvan 1993 specs and this appears to be your boat.

Just did some research, it appears your boat is a "Sea Monster" side console, boat weighs approx 1000 lbs dry and has a max 50 hp rating. Looked up the Sylvan 1993 specs and this appears to be your boat.

I saw that same reference to the Sea Monster model. I just can't feature a 15' side console boat with a 1,000# dry weight. Might have been a typo on the spec's.

I saw that same reference to the Sea Monster model. I just can't feature a 15' side console boat with a 1,000# dry weight. Might have been a typo on the spec's.
I agree, my 16' Sea Troller only weighs 650 dry and has more compartments. My guess would be closer to 450 from the pics.

The. local Smoker dealer has no idea. I submitted Smoker's ID request form. We'll see how long it takes them to respond. In the

SYL 94233 G2 93
That HIN comes up as this on BoatFax - I don't have a membership so can't get more details.

1675112380114.png

Smoker and Sylvan were made at the same factory for a short while, then Sylvan went on into pontoons and Smoker stayed with boat production. Smoker also made boats that were rebranded with other names like Northwood and others. With the Syl leading the number means it was produced under the Sylvan name but built at the Smoker plant....a confusing couple years of mfgr until the two were actually seperated.

I'd dig into the power trim on that Merc first and try to fix it, may just be one of the relays or the electrical side of the motor, both cheap fixes. That is fine motor and should work pretty well on that rig, no need to throw the baby out with the bathwater, see what you have first.

You're looking at a pretty big weight penalty going to a 4 stroke, that boat is light on HP rating as it is, and then you want to add a kicker on top of that. This is coming from a guy that repowered with a 4 stroke and wouldn't do it again just because of the weight, these older boats weren't designed for it.

I'd dig into the power trim on that Merc first and try to fix it, may just be one of the relays or the electrical side of the motor, both cheap fixes. That is fine motor and should work pretty well on that rig, no need to throw the baby out with the bathwater, see what you have first.

You're looking at a pretty big weight penalty going to a 4 stroke, that boat is light on HP rating as it is, and then you want to add a kicker on top of that. This is coming from a guy that repowered with a 4 stroke and wouldn't do it again just because of the weight, these older boats weren't designed for it.
That's a tough one. I hate trolling a 2 cycle. Noisy and stinky. Weight is a concern, but it looks like it's only 20# or so on a 9.9 Merc.

That power trim is a black box to me; I can't even tell if it's all still there. Gonna have to spend some time on that one. I do need it; my back can't handle that kind of weight, especially from inside the boat. It would be nice to get the oil injection working so I could run straight gas in the onboard tank to both motors.

You dont need much of a kicker on that boat. I have a bow mount electric with auto pilot remote...awesome as I can steer from my fishing seat, no need to be moving around. On the back I have a little 2.2 hp Merc 2 stroke. I lock the steering forward and steer with the bow mount. Works great !! Just use the little kicker for forward thrust, at 3/4 throttle there is no real vibration, no noticible smoke and actually quieter than the big motor. My two group 31 batteries gives me 8 hrs of trolling power easy, the little gas motor only uses a gallon all day. That little motor only weighs about 30 lbs...win win all around...

That's a tough one. I hate trolling a 2 cycle. Noisy and stinky. Weight is a concern, but it looks like it's only 20# or so on a 9.9 Merc.

That power trim is a black box to me; I can't even tell if it's all still there. Gonna have to spend some time on that one. I do need it; my back can't handle that kind of weight, especially from inside the boat. It would be nice to get the oil injection working so I could run straight gas in the onboard tank to both motors.

You're looking at 60-80 extra pounds for a four stroke main engine, then another 90 for a kicker. That's a lot of extra weight hanging on the back.

HIN = Hull Identification Number ... the (usually) first 3-Letters of the 12-digit hull number assigned by the USCG to identify the maker of a hull. Affixed, embossed or stamped into the hull at the top right of the stern, outside.

Link = https://www.uscgboating.org/content/manufacturers-identification.php , where SYL indeed comes up as Smoker Craft

Kicker - How fast does ye want or need to troll? FWIW I put a light 6hp 2-stroke kicker on my 21' frp deep-V hull and it gets me to 5mph, which is fast enough for bluefish trolling and the minimum for school toona. Tied it into the main OB by one of those quick disconnect steering gizmos and it works slick!

I never smell the 2-stroke exhaust ... well, wait ... maybe I do ... smells like Victory!

HIN = Hull Identification Number ... the (usually) first 3-Letters of the 12-digit hull number assigned by the USCG to identify the maker of a hull. Affixed, embossed or stamped into the hull at the top right of the stern, outside.

Link = https://www.uscgboating.org/content/manufacturers-identification.php , where SYL indeed comes up as Smoker Craft

Kicker - How fast does ye want or need to troll? FWIW I put a light 6hp 2-stroke kicker on my 21' frp deep-V hull and it gets me to 5mph, which is fast enough for bluefish trolling and the minimum for school toona. Tied it into the main OB by one of those quick disconnect steering gizmos and it works slick!

I never smell the 2-stroke exhaust ... well, wait ... maybe I do ... smells like Victory!
It's not how fast I want to troll, it's paranoia about getting back if the main motor craps out. I have been left dead in the water by an old 2 stroke. Out here the fastest we troll is 4-5 mph for coho. This boat's not going to make a 30 mile tuna run! At least not with me aboard.

Can honestly say that I have never been stranded from my motor not running. Have run two stroke outboards for 60 plus years....then again, I go overboard with maintenence, when they need fixed, I do it !! Nothing worse then running your motor or even you vehicle when it needs a repair and you keep putting it off....it will come back to bite you and cost you more in the long run. The trick to not having a stinky two stroke is proper oil mix with a good quality oil and run it at half throttle or more. Letting them run at idle or slightly above makes them smoke and load up the plugs which makes them troublesome. Use a smaller kicker so it can run at half throttle or more !!

Can honestly say that I have never been stranded from my motor not running. Have run two stroke outboards for 60 plus years....then again, I go overboard with maintenence, when they need fixed, I do it !! Nothing worse then running your motor or even you vehicle when it needs a repair and you keep putting it off....it will come back to bite you and cost you more in the long run. The trick to not having a stinky two stroke is proper oil mix with a good quality oil and run it at half throttle or more. Letting them run at idle or slightly above makes them smoke and load up the plugs which makes them troublesome. Use a smaller kicker so it can run at half throttle or more !!
That's reassuring, somewhat. I think that once I get to know the rig I'll be less concerned about stranding. It's going to have to prove itself. I like the smaller kicker tips, thanks.

Latest posts