Need 1981 Evinrude 50hp help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

casey_714

Reaction score
Alright guys, here is what I have going on.. I have a 1981 e50belcic 50hp Evinrude. It is tiller steer/electric start. This summer I took my boat out and the motor ran like a top. Nothing really wrong with it. If I put it on muffs in my driveway, same thing..starts and runs fine, put it in forward and reverse (very slowly of course), no issues.

Since then, my brother has borrowed my boat 2 times for duck hunting. He puts the boat in the water (30 degrees out, so much colder), and the motor starts right up and idles fine with the help of the "fast idle" lever on the controls. He then puts the fast lever idle down and it still idles fine. However once put into gear the motor dies, can't get it to run when actually in gear. I have my suspicion that i need to get my RPM's up a little higher because I did notice this summer that it idled verrry slowly, and that was in warm weather.

My main question is this - How can I adjust idle speed on this motor? Is it done by timing, carbs, or??

Note: I do know the "first" things to check are compression and spark. I don't currently have the tools to check compression. I live close to a launch so I would like my first step to be getting idle RPM's up and if that doesn't work I will go from there. Just can't figure out how to actually adjust it..

Question #2 Everything is remote/electrical but inside the motor there is a manual choke, which you can't get to unless you take the cowl off. Only an "On" and "Off" position. Is this odd? Usually the choke is on the outside of the motor, unless I'm missing something and this actually works electrically on it's own?

Also.. I should state that I just ordered a manual for it, but it won't be here until next week. Was hoping I could take it out hunting by this weekend which is why I asked here first. I can't seem to find idle information on this exact motor anywhere!

So two things to address:

Choke - Yes, electrically activated. Normaly you operate this by pushing the key in. To start, you push the key while turning it to keep the choke engaged. Once it's running, you can push the key in for short intervals if the motor feels like it's stalling out until it has warmed a bit. You shouln't have to do this after the motors been running for 30 secs or so.

Idle speed - The idle speed is adjusted using the timing stop, on the starboard side of the motor, just a bit below the flywheel. It's usually adjusted using a flathead screwdriver. You don't want to move it up too much and cause shifting problems. See the picture for the adjustment location, It's not the right motor year, but the location will be very similar.

Capture 191126.JPG

Good luck!

Thanks a bunch, guys! That was the screw I initially assumed, but then I "overthunk" it and went down a bunch of rabbit trails. I get off work early tomorrow (when it's actually light out!), and this will be the first thing I try out. If that fixes it, great! If not, I will then look into adjusting the "idle mixture adjustment". I have a general idea of what that might be, but haven't done that yet either.

Thanks for helping a rookie out. I'll let you know how it goes

It is a bit more involved than just the timing screw.
That is one of the adjustments.
Your engine must idle with the throttle blades completely closed. That is the way it is designed to idle.
On the carb linkage you will see a roller. Should have a clear cover over a black base. If the clear cover is missing order another from a dealer or Marine engine. This is a must for correct ignition timing to throttle blade timing synchronization.
Next, since you will be advancing the timing a bit You must assure that the roller mentioned lines up with the arrow on the cam that comes in contact with it after you adjust timing. There is an adjustment screw on the roller arm to do this with. The roller must not ride on the cam. It should be very close but not touching.
I would suggest you do this in the water at the trim angle you normally adjust the engine to while idling. Makes a big difference with back pressure on the engine.

Latest posts