Need some advice

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryR

Reaction score
I have not physically seen this boat, just the pics below. I have a chance to buy from my daughters boyfriend's father. According to him they have never used it. Its been sitting in a garage for years. I have never owned a boat other than kayak, but my folks had one back in the day I used extensively, and I was also taught a lot by my grandfather when I was young on his boat. Just looking at the pics I see a couple issues. 1. Transom looks all wood with no brackets or supports and I want to mount a small outboard on it. 2. I can't see a drain hole. 3. It comes with a Minn Kota Endura 55lbs trolling motor which I could mount but the boat looks heavy so not sure that alone is enough, thus my wanting to mount a motor. Am I overthinking this or are my concerns justified? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Transom1.jpgTransom2.jpgTransom3.jpgTransom4.jpg

1. I would suspect the transom knee bracket(s) are under the deck. I would also suspect the transom is aluminum sandwiched between wood on the inside and outside. I wouldn't hesitate to mount a small outboard assuming the transom wood is sound.

2. I don't see one either. Might be in the bottom of the boat (under the rear deck). I cannot imagine those decks are original.

3. I think the 55# TM would move that boat just fine. I assume it is a 12V model. Not sure how much run time you would have. Better minds than mine can advise on using two 12V batteries in parallel. I run a 12V 55# TM on my 18' walk-thru for several hours each outing. However, I'm using the autopilot function primarily, so can't really compare.

Was the boat recently painted?

1. I would suspect the transom knee bracket(s) are under the deck. I would also suspect the transom is aluminum sandwiched between wood on the inside and outside. I wouldn't hesitate to mount a small outboard assuming the transom wood is sound.

2. I don't see one either. Might be in the bottom of the boat (under the rear deck). I cannot imagine those decks are original.

3. I think the 55# TM would move that boat just fine. I assume it is a 12V model. Not sure how much run time you would have. Better minds than mine can advise on using two 12V batteries in parallel. I run a 12V 55# TM on my 18' walk-thru for several hours each outing. However, I'm using the autopilot function primarily, so can't really compare.

Was the boat recently painted?
thank you for you input, its reassuring. I really haven't had time to search the market for a used boat but knowing my daughter's future father-in-law, I trust him and he would do right by me. I'll know more once I can go see it. I think this was re-done years ago to include painting and deck but can confirm once I talk to him. Thus far it's just been talk between daughters BF and myself. Thanks again!

Have to agree with LDUBS here, old boat refinnished, back in the day they used wood outside and inside with the aluminum sandwiched in between. Made for a better bite with clamp on motors !! From the pics looks like mabey a 14'....is so and the wood is good, she wwould handle a 9.9 outboard easy. I am still a fan of 2 strokes, much lighter and better performers than heavy 4 strokes. Check the wood, check for leaks and any missing rivets or holes in the hull. Like everything....it depends on the price !!

Have to agree with LDUBS here, old boat refinnished, back in the day they used wood outside and inside with the aluminum sandwiched in between. Made for a better bite with clamp on motors !! From the pics looks like mabey a 14'....is so and the wood is good, she wwould handle a 9.9 outboard easy. I am still a fan of 2 strokes, much lighter and better performers than heavy 4 strokes. Check the wood, check for leaks and any missing rivets or holes in the hull. Like everything....it depends on the price !!
Thank you, appreciate the feedback. If the wood is OK I may take it at $2K. Just not sure about not having a drain hole, but will see when I look at it.

Someone else clearly did an awesome job rigging out that hull into a little bass boat, but be aware that with ‘rounded chines’ and not being the beamiest hull, she could be a little tippy … but even worse … that’s not a $2K hull in my opinion …

I can show you how to add a removable drain plug, as Moeller makes such a fitting to add one to any tin boat. But you might have to remove that small board below where the motor goes to make sure that you can see all the way to the floor.

I don’t know where you are located, but I would not be surprised if you could find a nice boat, motor and trailer for $500 less, if not even less!

Last edited:
Thank you, appreciate the feedback. If the wood is OK I may take it at $2K. Just not sure about not having a drain hole, but will see when I look at it.
Unless there is a nice outboard motor as part of the deal, In my opinion that 2K is a bit high. Your money, up to you and not sure where you are as location can make a difference in value. Last summer I bought a 1992 16' Sylvan side consol, 40 hp Merc and loaded with electronics and a remote TM with spot lock, full roller trailer all in like new condition, spent it entire life in a garage...all for under 5 K....so...how bad do tou want that boat, you mught consider doing some comparison shopping ???

Unless there is a nice outboard motor as part of the deal, In my opinion that 2K is a bit high. Your money, up to you and not sure where you are as location can make a difference in value. Last summer I bought a 1992 16' Sylvan side consol, 40 hp Merc and loaded with electronics and a remote TM with spot lock, full roller trailer all in like new condition, spent it entire life in a garage...all for under 5 K....so...how bad do tou want that boat, you mught consider doing some comparison shopping ???
I think you're both right about the price and possible issues. I'm located in south cental PA. I'm going to keep looking and expand my search. Even the wife says pay more for something better. Smart woman.

Wow 2 k is way out there. 500 tops. Even then it would be a hard call. I picked up a 14 foot flatbottom extra wide extra deep with a 15 hp evinrude and trailer last fall for 500 bucks. Just a suggestion.

Attachments

• 1686231717301139182341415772686.jpg
    1686231717301139182341415772686.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 1686231873701576076194823558320.jpg
    1686231873701576076194823558320.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 0
Wow 2 k is way out there. 500 tops. Even then it would be a hard call. I picked up a 14 foot flatbottom extra wide extra deep with a 15 hp evinrude and trailer last fall for 500 bucks. Just a suggestion.
Yes I'm widening my search. If I have to wait I'll wait.

I don't know if you wanted to run a tiller or controls and steering but it looks like a tiller wouldn't be an option with the back deck in the way. Agee 2k is too much either way.

Well, the registration number starts with "MD".....I assume Maryland? That may be the cause for the 2K asking price.
But, yeah.....at 2K, I'd want an outboard as part of the deal.

Just my observation.....Roger

Well, the registration number starts with "MD".....I assume Maryland? That may be the cause for the 2K asking price.
But, yeah.....at 2K, I'd want an outboard as part of the deal.

Just my observation.....Roger
I'm from Maryland and that boat definitely has or had a Maryland registration. As for the price, everything is expensive in Maryland. The 2k asking price seems high though. I have seen boat, trailer and trolling motor sell for $1200 and they don't look half as nice as that boat. A lot of people selling junk for high $.

2k is way out of the spectrum, 500 is most I'd pay,and that is high in my opinion...good luck,keep looking, something better will surface eventually...

Latest posts