Need your advice on a new ultra ligth real

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rbacca

Reaction score
Guys,
Yesterday I purchased a sweet ultra light fishing rod, the purchase of this rod wasn't on to the agenda but once I touched it and felt the action ...It was love at first sight. About the rod:Field & Stream Angler IM7 series 1 piece 4'6 Ultra Light. About the payment: At Dick's in Manassas Virginia regular price 39.99 sale price 29.99 - the 10.00 off coupon 19.99 and I paid using a old dicks gift card I had in my wallet.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3027610

I never purchased a Field and Stream rod before but it was very much for free....and I like it.

Now I just need to buy a reel to go with the new rod.

Please give me your opinion, I would like to buy the smoothest reel for under 100.00.

Here is what I have in mind.

Mitchell 310 (My dad will only fish Mitchell and has kept every single Mitchell he has ever purchased he has about 20+ Mitchell 300 alone not to mention 308, 310 some of them are quite old some of them are a year old so I have to consider Mitchell)

Shimano Sedona 750 (I have a lot of shimanos and is all I use on fresh water but I need to show some diversity here )

Abu Garcia Cardinal 100 or 300

Thanks
RBacca

first

WHY WOULD YOU PUT A BIG OLE REEL LIKE A MITCHELL 300?? dont get me wrong I own one and love it but a short UL like that Im assuming small line ------->>>>> crappie OR a good fight with a bass???

check out Acadias reels https://www.acadiasports.com/reels.asp?ru=0&v=&ssid= (hope link works right).....

IF i am wrong bout a UL and big reel lemme know?? It just seems like overkill for that kind of reel on a UL, JUST MY .02

I must agree with ho_shi. Large reel kinda defeats the purpose of the UL rod. I wade fish our mountain streams with UL's only just so I can get a decent cast with the 1/32 to 1/16 oz. spinners and lures that are needed in the crystal clear water. But I can also spool up with 6 lb. line and have a blast in our lakes catching gills and crappie.

I had the same decision to make as you last year. I spent about 2 months checking out all the smaller model reels. The mitchell 310 was one of best purchases I have yet to make. Its light, has a smooth drag, and def. will put a sedona, or abu to shame. Plus its the perfect size to match any UL rod. Hope I made the decision making a little easier.

Picture1539.jpg

I really like my Shimano Symetre 750 and Cabelas has them on sale for $49.99. My wife has a Pflueger President (6725 or 6730) on her Walleye UL and she loves that. Cabelas has them as well but not on sale. You can however get free shirt ($19.99 value, just pay $6.95 S/H)

Personally...I don't like smaller reels...even on UL rods.

The handles are too short, the spools are too small. Line memory can become a significant problem with a lot of these small UL labeled reels. And that impacts your castability. Larger spools have much less line memory and dump their line out with less resistance.

A 1000 size Shimano is the smallest reel I care to use.

Of the 3 reel manufacturers and models listed, I'd pick the Shimano.

Im with mattman on this one, I also dont like small reels, Ive also phased out my ULs under 7ft, there just collecting dust somewhere. The last small reel I had my hands on was a pflueger trion, and it wasnt bad. I have an abu cardinal 100 (102 model) and I cant complain about it ive beat it up pretty good and it still works great, but you might wanna go with a smaller size if you pick this reel.

Guys thanks for all the feedback,

The Mitchell im considering is the 310 (UL, similar in size to the Sedona 750)

About the feedback

I need to go to the store and hold a Shimano Sedona 1000 (just to see how it feels) I also have a few shimano 2500 and a few 2000 but I find them a bit big for the rod

So far we have

Abu Garcia 2 votes
Shimano Sedona 2 votes
Shimano Symetra 1 Vote
Shimano Sahara 1 vote
Pflueger President 1 Vote (and I could get a free shirt
Mitchell 310 1 vote ( plus a picture of a nice trout) =D>

I'll keep you posted thanks

I like the Quantum Kinetic PTi-A series. I have a 10, a 20, and a 40, and really like them all. You can find them on eBay for arounf 50 bucks, well worth it in my opinion.

I second a small Shimano Sedona. Have one, will never buy another trout reel.

I have a med-light Field and stream IM7 rod. I love the sensitivity and feel of it, but I did have some problems with it after using it only three or four tries. The reel seat came loose and would free spin on the blank. I had purchased a warranty with it and they sent me a gift card for the exchange and allowed me tokeep the defective rod.

Latest posts