New boat cover question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Douglasdzaster

Reaction score
I finally got tired of the Academy covers and bought a Carver Sun dura cover for my 16/52 Monark. I built a frame out of pvc pipe which basically runs down the middle of the center of the boat. Making a nice ridge for water to run off.
The carver is a little big or seems that way. I put it on tonight since I’ll be busy tomorrow getting pipes in the garden ready for our 16 degrees here in Texas.
I can raise the support structure no problem. My question is there are way more loopholes in the cover than straps. I was having difficulty finding the perfect fit.
Does anyone else have a Carver and know the best spot for the straps ie. How many down the sides vs. the stern etc? Any advice is greatly appreciated. I’ll be trying to finish it tomorrow before the 20mph winds hit.

Per website, there are three style of covers offered...which one is yours?

I believe the multiple strap holes are to ensure you have options depending on your boat size/shape. Also, pics on website show straps for each strap hole....did they not include all straps?
You can always add additional straps, as needed, using some simple nylon strap material.

These things came to mind:

1. As far as fit, keep in mind wind/rain.
2. Be cautious and account for any sharp edges and rub points (ex. damage to boat cover and rub paint off boat)
3. Be sure cover is secure all around and allows for water run off and there are no areas for water pooling (your frame should help with this)
4. Use and tighten the shock cord on hem (if equipped)

Hope this helps!

You will learn that a cover is MASSIVLY affected by the turbulence from the tow truck / car and speeds used on roads. Some flap a lot more than others.

Does anyone else have a Carver and know the best spot for the straps ie. How many down the sides vs. the stern etc? Any advice is greatly appreciated. I’ll be trying to finish it tomorrow before the 20mph winds hit.

Yes I have one. I put one at the bow. One around the outboard cav plate. One at each back corner. Three along each side. Position so the cover is stretched tight over your tent frame.

Per website, there are three style of covers offered...which one is yours?

I believe the multiple strap holes are to ensure you have options depending on your boat size/shape. Also, pics on website show straps for each strap hole....did they not include all straps?
You can always add additional straps, as needed, using some simple nylon strap material.

These things came to mind:

1. As far as fit, keep in mind wind/rain.
2. Be cautious and account for any sharp edges and rub points (ex. damage to boat cover and rub paint off boat)
3. Be sure cover is secure all around and allows for water run off and there are no areas for water pooling (your frame should help with this)
4. Use and tighten the shock cord on hem (if equipped)

Hope this helps!
Thanks Tin Man I appreciate your advice. The instructions say you don’t need to use all the loops. I got 12 straps with the cover. I put 5 down each side and 2 at the stern. The wind is now 21mph and it’s looking good. As the wrinkles from being folded straighten out I snug the straps every now and then if they need it. But I think I have it set up right after working on it this morning in the daylight. Here’s a couple of pictures.
I know I really need a paint job. Just haven’t got to it. I’ve been rebuilding everything inside the boat. Just finished the new floor.
I cut up pool noodles and pad everything. The front edges , the 2 led lights on the stern etc. I do plan on getting more straps though just not their 6 for $40.
Thanks again for the reply. I’m sorry I didn’t answer your question. The cover I have is a Sundura.

Attachments

• AC85E898-A6B5-4500-981B-7DB165992239.jpeg
    AC85E898-A6B5-4500-981B-7DB165992239.jpeg
    363.5 KB · Views: 1
  • CECB170D-D2F9-4DC6-94C1-69E3F817080C.jpeg
    CECB170D-D2F9-4DC6-94C1-69E3F817080C.jpeg
    429.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Yes I have one. I put one at the bow. One around the outboard cav plate. One at each back corner. Three along each side. Position so the cover is stretched tight over your tent frame.
I tried to reply earlier but my internet stopped just before I posted it.
I’m trying to picture what you mean by putting a strap around the cab plate. Are you using the motor to tie down?
I hurried this morning and I have 12 straps l I put 5 on each side starting closest to the bow then one on each side of the motor wear the motor cover is. It’s holding up to the 22 mph winds we’re now getting. I still may change it. It was tight but through out the day it worked out the cresses where it was folded and I have been snugging the straps back up as needed. Just now I’m seeing pockets where it may hold water. Here’s a couple of pictures from this morning. Tell me what you think. And thanks for the reply.

Attachments

• 5FD6905C-E86B-4E24-B7A6-CFBBE33859D6.jpeg
    5FD6905C-E86B-4E24-B7A6-CFBBE33859D6.jpeg
    363.5 KB · Views: 1
  • B62A1BFD-BD01-4ABE-BED5-2281C39D3D9D.jpeg
    B62A1BFD-BD01-4ABE-BED5-2281C39D3D9D.jpeg
    429.4 KB · Views: 1
You will learn that a cover is MASSIVLY affected by the turbulence from the tow truck / car and speeds used on roads. Some flap a lot more than others.
Thanks for the reply. I’m not planning on towing with the cover on. The farthest I usually go is about an hour from the house.

Looks like it is set up well. Perhaps with the excess strap, you can make some additional ones!
I also have all the straps from the old cover. They’re made for the female buckle to be on the cover so there’s male fasteners on both ends but that can be fixed.

Latest posts