New guy questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CburtWV

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am considering a project to modify my son’s boat into more of a bass boat style. The boat is special to him because it was given to him by his great uncle before he passed so I really want to do it right so it can be more usable and give him many years of good service and tight lines!
I’ve done some lurking on the site and I believe the boat is an early 70s Lonestar big fisherman?? I hope to be able to add front and rear decks (leaving the benches in place and building over them) and rod locker type storage on each side midship. To do this I want to remove the middle bench seat which obviously adds strength to the boat. It seems like this is doable if the framework between the front and rear decks is sufficient?? Looking for some input from everyone’s experience. Thanks339DFE32-9E8C-4356-AF1C-252DA2CE7AC3.jpeg5F6DCCFC-DD42-4701-8765-0BE6E96011DE.jpeg

CburtWV said:
To do this I want to remove the middle bench seat which obviously adds strength to the boat. It seems like this is doable if the framework between the front and rear decks is sufficient?
Doable? Oh yes, but I personally believe you need to replace it with some sort of 'structural integrity' tying the stern to the bow, maybe even cross-thwart too. See below, gross example, but just to illustrate the point. If there were NO seats or longitudinal axis support, when you hit a wave that hull would fold up like a piece of tin foil.
Hull Structural Integrity.jpg
If I were doing it, on either side of where the seat was, I'd add heavy wall (1/8") aluminum L-channel along the gunnel for a good 2-3 feet both fore & aft, so maybe 6' long if you can swing it, if not more. This could be incorporated as part of your lockers,or other decking frame, and maybe even hold the hinge where they open (would need a 1-1/2" leg on one side). Looking at your picture (without looking upside-down, LOL!) you could likely have it span from the front of the rear seat to the rear of the front seat, tying into any framework added up there. Get the concept?
Skiff.jpg

Dale,
First of all thanks for righting my capsized boat! Lol. I don’t know I managed to do that. Yes I do get the concept. I am thinking along those lines but I was just unsure if that would be strong enough to replace the seat removal. I’ve never done anything like this before but I’m confident I can get a framework in place. Just unsure about making it safe and strong enough. Thanks for the advise

Just my 2ct. It I would take the front deck from the bow to over top of the middle bench seat. Floor between the middle bench and back bench. Extend the back bench over bilge area.i would think a boat that old with a lot of sentimental value. I wouldn’t take the mid bench out. To many headaches could pop up there. I’m also a sucker for “aircraft carrier “style front decks in tinnies Mine is built like such. 16 ft boat 10 foot front deck.

Wally thanks for your 2 cts that’s what I’m looking for! I was gonna do this project to surprise him( he lives out of town) but I thought better of it. Doing a big modification to his boat without consent?? Anyway, we talked about it and he’s is totally onboard...pun intended...so we’re in the design phase now. Priority 1 was getting the 1972 Johnson running again. It had sat for a couple of years and didn’t want to run. Got that purring again so the rig is usable now. I plan to post progress once I begin. Thanks for the input!

Latest posts