new here, '63 Starcraft Seafarer 14' w/ '74 Merc 200 20hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treebound

Reaction score
Hi,

New to this site so I'll start off with this post and hope I don't get thrown off the dock. ;)

We (my wife and I) just got a boat/motor/trailer from some friends.
I believe the boat is a 1963 model year 14' Starcraft Seafarer based on what's left of the i.d. tag on the transom. It also states a max hp of 40hp which seems high to me. The sticker/plate does not list any weight or passenger limits, I don't know if they didn't put that on there back in 1963. The previous owner, retired farmer in his 70's, said the boat used to be his dad's.

The outboard is a Mercury model 200 20hp. It has all been sitting in a barn for the past several years so I assume I'll have to do some cleaning and de-gunking and digging out wasp nests before I can see if it still runs. He didn't have an owner's or service manual for the outboard so I'll be watching for one of those. In the mean time I've found links here and elsewhere to some on-line manuals, one listed a Mercury model 400 at 20hp but I don't know if that is functionally the same as a model 200. The engine does turn over with the pull cord, but since it was below 20degF in the barn and since the engine hadn't been run for 2-3 years I just left it at that knowing it at least wasn't stuck. He said he couldn't get it started the last time he had it out, either due to a sore shoulder or else something went bad in the engine or electrical system, either way I don't know if it runs yet.

I have the engine in the garage but need to get a stand for it before I can do much with it. The boat is out in the yard covered up waiting for more snow to fall here in Wisconsin today. Once all is thawed out here I plan to take the boat and trailer over to a car wash and hose down everything to try and remove the barn swallow poop all over everything.

Initial questions: does the engine use a 50:1 oil/gas ratio? Based on the s/n I believe the engine is a 1974 model.

2013-03-03082712_zps13d81365.jpg

2013-03-03082749_zps9fef8820.jpg

Thanks in advance for any helps or input, and let me know if I posted this in the wrong section.
Mike

I just bought the same year and model Merc yesterday. For a 6 gallon tank the ratio is 50:1. The Marine dealer I bought it from said to make sure you use the best gas you can get and if you can get recreational grade (no ethanol) that is the best. He also said to make sure you use Marine Stabil in every tank to keep problems with the fuel system away. I have not had mine out yet. He starteded in the shop for me and man does it purr. I am putting it on my 14 foot Smokercraft Big Fisherman. I can not wait. Good luck.

Tim

Welcome to the forum Mike. I must have missed this thread when you first posted it. I have the same motor in a 75 model. When I received mine it was all in pieces with a lot of the pieces missing. I have the generic Sealoc manual if you need any info out of it. shortly after I got my motor it looked like this.

DSC00226.jpg

But after a little scrubbing, painting, and replacing missing parts it looks like this now.

72e6e0cf.jpg

Latest posts