New Member Introductions!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,

I'm Jaxon, 24, Nashville, I'm part owner of a home renovations company, a bit of a smart@$$, and generally try to be as helpful as I can be. I stopped by looking for some help with prop-ing my boat. Seems like a good bunch over here, lot cleaner than a lot of the forums Ive perused.
Ive got a Lowe L1648 (16' jon) with an 06 honda 20. We get skunked fishing a lot, but its still a good day on the water. I particularly enjoy hogging up the ramp (when no one is awake yet) at 5 AM on the way to the whitetail (or turkey, or squirrel) woods. I've just recently starting adding electrical to the boat (it had an ancient fish finder already) I've got a front mounted motorguide i3 something or other trolling motor, a garmin 4" at the front, garmin 73SV at the rear, run through a 100a fuse block individually fused, all powered by a large deep cycle at the rear and kept topped up by the 6 amps supplied by the ole honda outboard/generator :LOL2: Look forward to participating here with the other tin boat nuts. And remember, the best fishing line is the wet one 8)
Edit: the trolling motor is on a dedicated 60a breaker protected line.

Hello All,

Just joined specifically because of the amount of discussion and information I found regarding rivets, sealing, adhesives, etc etc. I have 1970's Starcraft Chieftain that I use almost exclusively on saltwater. It has about 500 leaky rivets that I seem to be continually fixing.

I'm looking forward to the helpful information and collective wisdom.

Richard

Greetings,

I'm StarWarsGuy, I'm joining because I recently acquired my Grandfathers 1952 AlumaCraft Model A and have enjoyed reading this forum and the information provided by the group. I live near Springfield Missouri in the Ozarks. I am in the process of restoring the 1952 AlumaCraft Model A along with a 1964 Gator 214 Trailer, and a 1992 Evinrude 15 HP Outboard. This boat and been in my family since the late 1950's and 4 generations have enjoyed fishing from it. I look forward to participating in the forum and sharing the limited knowledge I have on the subject matter.
I hope to include some pictures soon. Thanks for letting me join the group.

SWG

Hey Starwarsguy...

seems to me I've worked on an Alumacraft Model A. Sweet, long-produced hull. I think I've posted a link to my primitive rehab work.

Welcome, and enjoy the experience, and take lots of pictures.

Howdy all!

Great forum! :) Finally joined in the fun after lurking around for a bit.

I just purchased my first ever boat a few weeks ago. She's a 1978 Lund C14 that my girlfriend named Reba lol. She is a solid boat in need of some lovin. I started the deconstruction process last week. Starting with the trailer. Everything rusty is coming off and is going for a dunk in evaporust then it gets coated with a good primer and an automotive-grade top coat. Then it will be on to the boat paint itself.

I'm sure Ill have plenty of questions-especially about electrical, the stuff is like voodoo to me lol. I have some pretty decent DIY skills, so Im willing to tackle pretty much anything myself.

I have captained fishing boats before, every year for the past 10, in a rented 16' alumacraft with a 90hp up by the boundary waters, and enjoyed that immensely; so I figured I should buy my own hole in the water to throw money into! :lol:

Here's my heap as she sat last week....

IMG_3495.jpg

Thank you Jim for letting me join!

Hi gang. Riding a 2020 G3 Sportsman 1810 in the lakes and rivers of North Florida… outside of Gainesville.

Always on the prowl for better boating and fishing education, so I look forward to the discussions here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good morning folks from MidWest Georgia. Transplanted Texan, grew up in Fort Worth and moved the family to Newnan Georgia following my job with Delta Airlines aircraft maintenance in 2005. We brought the 12 foot Sea King (60s something) with the 15hp Sea King (1980) with us and it's been sitting covered behind the house here now for 17 years. I retired in 2020 and with this free time I now have, am just starting to get it lake ready and registered here in Georgia. I oiled the cylinders and it's got compression of 110. Still need to check for spark. Fuel pump kit, carb kit and impeller came in the mail this week. The kids that used to fish out of it with us have families of their own now, but hey... bring on the grandkids!

Hello from South Dakota, my name is Scott. I like anything outdoors, but my passion is duck hunting. Big part of the reason I joined.....1973 Lowe Big Jon 16. Plan t use it as a duck boat and maybe fish out of it a couple times during the summer. I like tinkering and with the prices today all I could afford is a 1973 Lowe with no motor lol! Thanks for having me!

1973 Lowe.png

Hello, All
First time time boat owner, live just outside St.Louis MO. Not alot of boating history, we had a couple boats when I was a kid 10yrs old to 13 or so, rember tubing and working on old evinrude outboard. Lots of frog gigging out of a canoe, always wanted a a little Jon boat for some reason.
Work as a machinist mainly with aluminum, so, lots of scrap and a very lenniet work environment.
We call them G jobs/government jobs, so lots of cool one off stuff comes from my ever changing mind. So this little boat is already a very special piece to me. Along with my 1982 Jeep cj7, 1998 Harley Davidson softail custom, 1996 c10 Silverado reg cab, long bed,122,000 miles no rust coldest air conditioner ever put in an automobile, Arkansas truck that was my Grandparents,til they passed , the truck had 36000 miles on it when I got it in 2009. Also have 1995 Yamaha pw50 that I restored for my grand kids last winter, into RC cars as well. To me there's nothing that can compare to the internal combustion engine. Seems to be a big push to do away with them with fuel prices now days.
I look forward to being a member here. Thanks : :D

Hello, I live in West TN, and I am a new owner of an old Alumacraft 15-foot boat that I recently registered as a 1968 16-foot Alumacraft. I have now found out that it is actually a 15 foot "C Hull" from around 1958. I am going to leave it registered as is to avoid any confusion with the registration. I am currently replacing the rotten transom and filling unnecessary holes. I hope to have it in the water soon. I got it for $400 and it came with an older Motor Guide 36 pound thrust foot control trolling motor and a 1967 Johnson model FD-21R outboard motor that will still run. Frank.

I joined a while back and really enjoy this forum. Good group of folks here.
I live in central Alberta, Canada and for some strange reason wanted a small boat to fish out of now that I'm sorta retired. So I purchased a 12' Jon boat and a Mercury 9.9 motor.
Now keep in mind I've never had a boat or motor, I don't like to swim and I don't eat fish. What was I thinking. I loved fishing as a kid so what the hell. I'll give it a go.
I read a lot about the boating experience on the web and learned a thing or two so I was ready to drop it in the water and get fishing.
I readied the craft for the first launch and found that there are a lot of steps to make it happen.
Ok, here goes. I back the boat and trailer down the ramp and hammered the brakes on to allow the boat to head into the water. It worked! The boat was in the water so I pulled it up on shore a bit so it wouldn't float away then proceeded to go and park the truck and trailer. When I got back to the boat it was full of water. WTF. Oh, the boat plug. :mad: I get to test out the hand bilge pump and see how it works. I've since purchased a cool aid jug to do this in the future. The hand pump is garbage.
Now with the water out of the Jon, I pushed the craft into deeper waters to start the Merc and get fishing. Well, there is a 5 step procedure to follow to start this small engine. Open the vent on the fuel tank, pump up the fuel bulb, be sure the kill switch is up, choke full out when the engine is cold and lastly, pull the rope. I pulled until my arm was sore. Not going to start. Calm down. Regroup. Try again. Let's see. Oh the bulb wasn't primed. Squish, squish and try again. No go. My arm is really sore. Well for gawds sake the kill switch was down and wouldn't let it start. Correct that and... you guessed it, it's flooded. Crap. So I followed what I remembered about starting a flooded engine and it started. Ran rough and died. Pulled the rope a few more times and realized the vent wasn't open to allow the fuel to be pulled up as needed. Corrected that, rest, mumble something about tossing it into the drink or shoving it up someone's arse and give it a pull again. Finally it started. Off we go. I'm worn out and sorta pissed off but hey, now I'm fishing.
I steered the boat to a reed outcropping thinking that's where the fish are. I park the mighty ship and get ready for the first cast. I whipped the rod forward in the direction of where I want the hook to land and in she went. I start to leisurely reel it back in and whack, I get a hit. First cast and I reeled in a Walleye. I was the happiest fisherman in the world at that moment. Grin as big as the sky. I soon forgot about the poor start and continued to fish a total of 3 Walleye and 4 Northern Pike. Nice.
I've been out several times since and have got the starting procedure down pat. But I forgot the plug once more and tested out the cool aid jug. Works way better. Next season, I'll be ready and look like a pro.
Thanks for reading and hopefully laughing at my experience.
Pictures next. Stay tuned.

I joined a while back and really enjoy this forum. Good group of folks here.
I live in central Alberta, Canada and for some strange reason wanted a small boat to fish out of now that I'm sorta retired. So I purchased a 12' Jon boat and a Mercury 9.9 motor.
Now keep in mind I've never had a boat or motor, I don't like to swim and I don't eat fish. What was I thinking. I loved fishing as a kid so what the hell. I'll give it a go.
I read a lot about the boating experience on the web and learned a thing or two so I was ready to drop it in the water and get fishing.
I readied the craft for the first launch and found that there are a lot of steps to make it happen.
Ok, here goes. I back the boat and trailer down the ramp and hammered the brakes on to allow the boat to head into the water. It worked! The boat was in the water so I pulled it up on shore a bit so it wouldn't float away then proceeded to go and park the truck and trailer. When I got back to the boat it was full of water. WTF. Oh, the boat plug. :mad: I get to test out the hand bilge pump and see how it works. I've since purchased a cool aid jug to do this in the future. The hand pump is garbage.
Now with the water out of the Jon, I pushed the craft into deeper waters to start the Merc and get fishing. Well, there is a 5 step procedure to follow to start this small engine. Open the vent on the fuel tank, pump up the fuel bulb, be sure the kill switch is up, choke full out when the engine is cold and lastly, pull the rope. I pulled until my arm was sore. Not going to start. Calm down. Regroup. Try again. Let's see. Oh the bulb wasn't primed. Squish, squish and try again. No go. My arm is really sore. Well for gawds sake the kill switch was down and wouldn't let it start. Correct that and... you guessed it, it's flooded. Crap. So I followed what I remembered about starting a flooded engine and it started. Ran rough and died. Pulled the rope a few more times and realized the vent wasn't open to allow the fuel to be pulled up as needed. Corrected that, rest, mumble something about tossing it into the drink or shoving it up someone's arse and give it a pull again. Finally it started. Off we go. I'm worn out and sorta pissed off but hey, now I'm fishing.
I steered the boat to a reed outcropping thinking that's where the fish are. I park the mighty ship and get ready for the first cast. I whipped the rod forward in the direction of where I want the hook to land and in she went. I start to leisurely reel it back in and whack, I get a hit. First cast and I reeled in a Walleye. I was the happiest fisherman in the world at that moment. Grin as big as the sky. I soon forgot about the poor start and continued to fish a total of 3 Walleye and 4 Northern Pike. Nice.
I've been out several times since and have got the starting procedure down pat. But I forgot the plug once more and tested out the cool aid jug. Works way better. Next season, I'll be ready and look like a pro.
Thanks for reading and hopefully laughing at my experience.
Pictures next. Stay tuned.
Any boater who tells you they never forgot the plug, probably hasn't boated much.

Hey guys, my name is Andrew, I am 24 years old. I was born and raised in Northeast Ohio and still live in the area. I am a new home estimator with a local custom home builder and have a bachelor's degree in construction engineering technology. I just recently purchased my first boat, a 1970 Lone Star semi-v and was given a 1951 Johnson Seahorse QD-12 from my grandfather. I intend to restore the boat over the course of the next year or so and will be documenting the restoration on here. I am happily married with my first little one on the way. I spend a lot of time in the portage lakes and in the buckeye lake area so if anyone has any tips on good fishing spots there I would appreciate it. I am looking forward to learning a lot and hopefully helping others out too. Thanks!
Hey Murf
Did you get the bugs out of your QD 12

Hello, I live in West TN, and I am a new owner of an old Alumacraft 15-foot boat that I recently registered as a 1968 16-foot Alumacraft. I have now found out that it is actually a 15 foot "C Hull" from around 1958. I am going to leave it registered as is to avoid any confusion with the registration. I am currently replacing the rotten transom and filling unnecessary holes. I hope to have it in the water soon. I got it for $400 and it came with an older Motor Guide 36 pound thrust foot control trolling motor and a 1967 Johnson model FD-21R outboard motor that will still run. Frank.
Welcome to the forum!

Latest posts