New Member Lots of Questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LDUBS said:
". . . . . . . got torn up when I left the anchor in place while trailering years ago. "

I hate to admit it but sounds like something I would do. :shock:

I honestly didnt even think it was a bad idea until after it tore it up. My brother told me he would take care of it while I was gone...

The bilge is deeper because the slight Vee or dead rise toward the transom that they added. The flatter bottoms cuts the chop just as well if you trim down and let the bow run a little deeper. My 1983 16 footer was cut like yours. The flat bottom also planes at a slower speed and that helps in the chop. If you keep the build as light as possible and weight back your boat should fly with that 115 on it. They made a few 26 footers but nobody has seen one in years. The console was a tiny cuddy cabin. That would be the holy grail for these boats but any of the large ones like yours are really desirable and hard to find. I always thought one of the big 20-24' Starcrafts cut into an open center console would be cool but they are getting hard to find as well.

By the way CCA treated plywood has been used by pontoon manufacturers for years, maybe still do. Again they usually put down an insulator (tape) to separate the wood from the aluminum. Sylvan makes pontoons too so I am assuming they used the same wood for my boat, it looks like it. Not sure what they use today.

https://marine-plywood.us/douglas%20fir.htm#BC_Pressure

And as far sealing it with epoxy, it works incredibly well, the copper is sealed into the wood and will not affect the aluminum, at least it has been very successful for me in all my projects. No issues at all.

Stumpalump said:
The bilge is deeper because the slight Vee or dead rise toward the transom that they added. The flatter bottoms cuts the chop just as well if you trim down and let the bow run a little deeper. My 1983 16 footer was cut like yours. The flat bottom also planes at a slower speed and that helps in the chop. If you keep the build as light as possible and weight back your boat should fly with that 115 on it. They made a few 26 footers but nobody has seen one in years. The console was a tiny cuddy cabin. That would be the holy grail for these boats but any of the large ones like yours are really desirable and hard to find. I always thought one of the big 20-24' Starcrafts cut into an open center console would be cool but they are getting hard to find as well.

I always thought she rode pretty well for a tin boat. I never saw the 26' version must have been a beast. I only have the 90HP on mine but yes it does scream. When I first got the boat I took it out on a glass day with me and a buddy no gear, we hit 38knts on GPS. later when i started diving i changed props to help with the extra weight, now it hits 28knts or so tops but its rarely calm enough to cruise over 17knts.

Well I started tearing the poured in foam out today, what a MESS. Im not sure if the install was factory but they really messed things up badly. A lot of the limber holes were sealed shut. This of course held salt water. I have found four additional holes. Im sure I will find more by the time I finish getting all the foam out and pressure wash it.

I talked to the welder and he didnt seem too worried. He said just cut them out and make patches out of 5052.

Is there any chemical that I can use to strip the oxidation from inside the boat?

I also jacked the boat up and under the trailer bunk looks really good.

I will post some updates tomorrow after my hired help (cant ask my friends to do strip foam) and I get all the foam torn out.

Im thinking for re-assembly, sheet/block foam would be more ideal for the majority of the boat.

Will

Read up here as well. More of a larger commercial salt water site but full of good tidbits.
https://aluminumalloyboats.com

All the foam is removed. Still working on clearing all the limber hoes out.

Attachments

• aluminum foam.jpg
    aluminum foam.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 838
  • aluminum foan 2.jpg
    aluminum foan 2.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 838
  • aluminum semi clean.jpg
    aluminum semi clean.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 838

Latest posts