New member, new project.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coullion

Reaction score
Hi my name is Marty and I’m new here! Looking for some education to build my first JetJon. I have a 300 Supercharged HP 2013 Kawasaki Ultra 300x JetSki w/ 20 hrs on it (my dad wrecked it and lived. But the ski is pretty much totaled.)
My Uncle gave me a worn out 1980’s 16’ Traveler Tin can.
I have a Tig welder and I’m “ok” at best welding aluminum.. Stainless and steel, I’m waaay more proficient! Lol

Here’s the heart transplant recipient pics!
I don’t have any pics of the ski. I’ve deleted them in disgust. Lol

I have a ton of work ahead of me!
B0AF19F3-016A-4ACC-9230-250BC89E7063.jpegF9E6760F-86F8-4E9B-BB86-F6243145CB93.jpeg3C2EB120-2D85-4B00-83F3-820481D23D8C.jpegE49F024D-FD11-4BF1-8948-BCD0EA874731.jpeg6E7F4B0B-E46D-45B2-A6F0-2D34D421A42B.jpegB7E94784-F2BF-4145-865D-F0805F5C6959.jpeg46076A87-B40E-44F6-BFCE-F023B3589E5E.jpeg

Attachments

• 71FF2C67-95BF-4422-8E44-0518382C3425.jpeg
    71FF2C67-95BF-4422-8E44-0518382C3425.jpeg
    402.4 KB · Views: 0
Start with removing the garden that grew in there, then give it a pressure wash. Now we can see what TLC it needs. Post more pictures when it's cleaned up.
Oh for sure! Lol! I plan on an aluminum acid wash too. I plan on stripping the boat to just the hull and stringers.

Hey Marty, wish I had something constructive to offer but I'm new as well. Nice looking hull and congrats on the score for the engine! Can you configure it as an outboard somehow or do you have to put a big hole in the transom? Best of luck from soggy Santa Barbara.

Try just cleaning it up first.

Have seen some strip a boat down to nuts and bolts, many times when it's not needed...

Some tear it apart, and then abandon the project because it's cheaper to just buy a working boat.
Some put in time and money and end up with a boat not as nice as the one they started with.
Then, on occasion, someone will make something really special.

Count the cost before you start tearing the boat up.

Hey Marty, wish I had something constructive to offer but I'm new as well. Nice looking hull and congrats on the score for the engine! Can you configure it as an outboard somehow or do you have to put a big hole in the transom? Best of luck from soggy Santa Barbara.
Hey! Thanks! I bought the JetSki brand new and let my dad borrow it… fast forward… I’m gonna salvage what’s left of the ski. As far as the boat, I’m going to build a super strong foundation (stringers bracing etc) for the power plant and cut through the hull and transom. I‘ve got to make this thing strong enough to handle the excess HP over what a 50hp Merc puts out!

Last edited:
Try just cleaning it up first.

Have seen some strip a boat down to nuts and bolts, many times when it's not needed...

Some tear it apart, and then abandon the project because it's cheaper to just buy a working boat.
Some put in time and money and end up with a boat not as nice as the one they started with.
Then, on occasion, someone will make something really special.

Count the cost before you start tearing the boat up.
Thanks for the comment! My plans are to do just that so I have a clean slate and see what needs to be done as I progress through the build. I’ve considered the cost for a few years now.. I’ve did weigh the option of doing a “Mini-Jet” or “Jet-Stream” kit, but since I’m a bit older now and I live on a huge fishing lake in Tx, fishing out weighed the other. Just like any project, the ultimate cost is never ending anyways! (As long as the money is there) Lol. It’s just a one step at a time till I get done. Of course, once I get something in my head, I can’t let it go! So, free boat and paid off totaled (basically still new) JetSki… let’s make it happen!

Wow, pretty major dink on the starboard corner of the transom. That may be a challenge.
Yeah, I’ve got a few ideas and a contingency plan to fix it! But definitely a challenge ahead of me!

I have built about 16 now, my first build was a 14 48 alweld v hull. I have found the flat bottoms steer like a 1970 4 door Pontiac . The leanings was to put my own Vee, this helped a lot. 5 degree to the pump mounting plat and have fun. I still have my first build, I will never sell it. Good luck, they are worth the sweat and tears.

Right on man! Luckily this one has a semi V. The JetSki has a deeper V in its hull. I have been pondering on how deep it should sit in the boat. I’m going to start out by cutting a little material out each hull. Then trim to fit. This is where and why I showed up on this forum. I would like to learn what people have done that works or wish they would have done from the start and etc. I do have a ton of work before cutting into the hull. I want to beef up the stringers and transom first.

Latest posts