New project 14ft Meyers V Hull

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
today's progress if anyone is following

I got these panels cut and laying in place. I had to re do the rear deck as I did not like how it came out the first time.

That piece is big enough to use for the very front deck so I decided just to cut a new piece for the rear deck since it would bug me that I did not like how it came out

Im still thinking about putting the side compartment on the other side due to legroom at the rear seat, I can still change it easily at this point. I have to figure out what makes sense

also waterproofed the floor, I am using Thompson's. I know some people here dont like it but I never had any issues with it and this boat will never see outside storage or much rain at all for that matter so I am sure it will be fine

Still a bit concerned with all the weight I am adding, but from what I see on other builds I really have nothing to worry about

but I still worry :)

20160313_172419.jpg

I like the build so far. The frame work is definitely made from some neat pieces. You mentioned weight concerns...have you looked into doing an aluminum floor vs plywood? You'll never have to worry about it wearing out. Take a look at my build. I used aluminum for all my decking. Either way would work though. I wonder about weight all the time with my build but then I remember going down the river with four buddies piled in my boat adding any additional 700 pounds and I never had a problem!

thanks for the comments!! Much appreciated.

I never really considered alu for the floor, for 2 reasons.

First, I would have had to add more bracing to keep the floor from oil canning or worse, unless I used some thick material.

Second was the cost. For the difference I could put that money into a used electric trolling motor :mrgreen:

I think the floor will last a long time. The boat will be kept in my pole barn and only used in decent conditions.

I am using it to explore the small lakes around my cabin. It will be typically just my wife and myself chasing panfish.

I have a 24 ft Grady White for the great Lakes and the poor conditions!!

IMG_20150905_100453053.jpg

Was able to make some progress last few days. Worked on framing in the rear deck area.

But big news here is I changed the design a little. I decided to raise the front deck to the gunnels.

2 reasons. Gives me the option of installing a bow mount trolling motor

But the biggest reason is now I am going to extend the side storage compartment and make it a rod locker.

I mocked it up in this pic so you can get an idea of what I am talking about. I am going to get a new piece of plywood and extend the compartment all the way to the bow, it will be over 6 ft

It will also give me more storage room in the bow since the whole thing will be elevated. I will also put a socket in the front for a butt seat in case I do get a bowmount at some point

20160317_181144.jpg

thanks

making more progress..I have Fri and Mon off for the Easter holiday so I am hoping I can get to the vinyl installation on Monday since I will home alone and no one will be around to bug me.

I have the rear deck roughed in now. Its real sturdy, pretty happy how it came out. One compartment will hold my 3 gal gas tank, the other will be just general storage. I still have to put in some kind of wall in it so stuff doesn't roll around. I am getting some thinner plywood for that which I have yet to buy

Still not sure if I am going to raise the front deck like in the last pic and add the rod locker, I have been going back and forth on that. I have another idea how I could possibly make one

any comments or advice are welcome!

20160322_165700.jpg

thanks

big day today. I am as far as I can go without installing the floor.

So today is installation of the vinyl on the floor.

Never done this before, wish me luck lol. Heating up the garage right now.

Pretty happy with how the floor came out.

It was actually real easy.

I used Weldwood contact cement. The trick to using it is to make sure you have a glossy looking layer on the plywood, it does soak it up and it takes more than one coat.

I put one coat on, then a coat on the vinyl. After it sat for about 15 min I could see spots on the plywood that looked like I did not hardly apply any, so I went over it pretty thick. Then let it set up for about an hour then pressed it together. I did one half at a time. I put a few staples in it on the underside on one edge to keep it in place

Here are a few pics

20160325_142909.jpg

20160325_173630.jpg

thanks!

I have carpeted a few boats and this is my first one with vinyl

I think its a lot easier to deal with. It cuts so easy and is real easy to handle compared to carpet, and no loose carpet threads etc to deal with

we'll see how the rest goes. Hope I am not eating my words at the end lol

Well we are getting close.

Have all the plywood nearly done, just a matter of painting it and finishing the vinyl and painting the hull a bit.

I also need to cut out the opening in the vinyl in the bow for the storage hatch The hole is in the plywood but I have not had a chance to cut out the vinyl. There is still some work to do on all the storage lids yet as well as a little minor fitting of the wood

I can fit a 7ft rod in the rod locker. There will be no standing on the front deck, its sturdy enough for it but its just not designed to be stood on, I would probably fall off anyway. Possibly put a bow mount on it, I am not sure.

20160328_141759.jpg

rod locker

20160328_141806.jpg

20160328_141745.jpg

I have had a few guys ask me about the vinyl. Its Nautolex and I got it from Defender. (thanks Schukster for the tip) they had the best price

also it should be noted when you are buying this stuff be mindful of the "grain" some colors have a directional grain to them kind of like some carpets.

So if you lay out one piece (on a hatch say) that runs the other way it will stand out.

The color I got (shark gray) had no grain to it. This really helped me save on vinyl since I could use the pieces in any direction I wanted, I did not have to make sure it all matched up which would have taken more material.

Another little tip I discovered is when I was folding the vinyl over the edges and stapling the backside, I took a heat gun and GENTLY heated up that area before folding it over. It was still kind of cold here in Mich and it really helped me to get a nice tight fold of the vinyl. A hair dryer would work fine too.

Im sure if it was warm out probably would not have to do this, but this is what I had to work with

thanks

perchjerker said:
I have had a few guys ask me about the vinyl. Its Nautolex and I got it from Defender. (thanks Schukster for the tip) they had the best price

also it should be noted when you are buying this stuff be mindful of the "grain" some colors have a directional grain to them kind of like some carpets.

So if you lay out one piece (on a hatch say) that runs the other way it will stand out.

The color I got (shark gray) had no grain to it. This really helped me save on vinyl since I could use the pieces in any direction I wanted, I did not have to make sure it all matched up which would have taken more material.

Another little tip I discovered is when I was folding the vinyl over the edges and stapling the backside, I took a heat gun and GENTLY heated up that area before folding it over. It was still kind of cold here in Mich and it really helped me to get a nice tight fold of the vinyl. A hair dryer would work fine too.

Im sure if it was warm out probably would not have to do this, but this is what I had to work with

thanks

How much Vinyl did you end up ordering for your entire build?

todays efforts. We are starting to get close!

I have some other pics, will post in a bit. Actually got a lot done today but I am tired now!!

Attachments

• 20160402_181346.jpg
    20160402_181346.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 2,173
rod locker is nearly done. Thats a 7ft walleye trolling rod in there. I can fit a few of them in there.

I still need to finish the plywood for it, (it needs a little more painting and fitting) and I am going to take some leftover vinyl and line the inside so it doesn't scratch my rods
20160404_163640.jpg

20160404_163546.jpg

20160404_163526.jpg

thanks!

I was really sweating on the vinyl needed for the top of the rod locker. I had plenty leftover width wise for it, but lengthwise I had just enough. Exactly enough. I did not cut any off the end.
I would have had to order more just for the one little piece.

If I knew it would have been that close before I cut out other pieces I could have fudged on them and had plenty of breathing room.
got real lucky on that one

Almost there. Yesterday I installed the Slider G5 seat mount. Its a high quality product and now I can move my seat however I want. I was thinking about putting 2 mounts in like I see some guys do but I think this a lot sturdier than those 3/4" pin mounts and by the time I bought the pedestal for it and a few mounts might as well get this, and I already had the pedestal and swivel mount. I just hope its not too high and I feel tipsy sitting on the seat. Since I raised the floor the bench is way too low for me now, I am 6'5" and it was too low before!

20160410_122745.jpg

a few more pics. I still have a little trim work to so and some painting. Its been too cold to do much painting so that will have to wait. I did do a few spots just to see what it would look like. I also need to install a vent in the hatch door for the 3 gal gas tank. And I have to get the bow mount installed, its just setting in place with a few bolts holding it in place.

20160410_122824.jpg

I am a little concerned with how the head is sticking out past the gunnel, I was not planning on installing one, it just kind of happened. I could always cut the shaft down if I have to. Its got a 54" shaft and thats way too long anyway. And I still have to figure out how to mount the trolling motor battery in the front hatch, there is plenty of room in it but there is not shelf or supports yet. I could tuck it in more so its not sticking out but then it would interfere with opening that hatch. I would have done something different there if I was planning on the motor the whole time. At the launch we use most of the time I use the port side so it wont be an issue at that ramp anyway

20160410_122812.jpg

20160410_122803.jpg

20160410_122757.jpg

Of course its still missing the passenger seat, I am not exactly sure of the placement of that yet but it will be on a simple tube pedestal like the driver's seat but longer. Also have a garboard plug that needs to be installed, and I will put a bilge pump in too now that I am installing a battery. And I will also take advantage of the US2 sonar transducer on the bow mount, I am going to get and extra wiring harness from the unit I use on my salmon boat, a Lowrance LCX 28a and be able to swap it back and forth.

20160410_122745.jpg

great build. I believe I will end up doing mine much like this with the exception of lowering the front deck. I love it!

Latest posts