New to Me Starcraft 12' - First Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YYZed

Reaction score
Hello all. As the title says, I'm new to the world of motorized boats. I've operated a few over the years, but never owned one. I'm more of a canoe/kayak guy. Anyway, my wife and I recently bought a house in Maine. The older gentleman that lives next to my parents offered us his old Starcraft, which has been sitting on its trailer in the side yard for probably thirty years.

A couple of pictures: https://imgur.com/a/r6GUaJp

Anyway, my plan is to strip and repaint the boat, as well as replace the wood seats, foam and transom. Then I'll pick up a motor for it. As far as I can tell, it's rated up to a 9.9. We live about a half an hour from Sebago, and I'd like to take the wife and dog out sometimes, so I'm looking for a 9.9. I've also got to restore the trailer as well. I'm hoping to get away with replacing the wheels/bearings, but it may need a new axle.

Anyway, I've got a few beginner questions: the boat appears to be pre-'72, as I can't find an HIN anywhere on it. There's also no useful information on the trailer itself. As this was just given to my by an older gentleman who just wanted it out of his yard, there's no paperwork involved. It was previously registered in NH, as that is where he lives. How difficult is it to get a boat/trailer registered under the circumstances? I'm currently hesitating to put any work into either the boat or trailer until I know I can even ever get them into the water.

Also, being as new to all this as I am, any other advice would be welcome and appreciated.

ETA: I can take/post more pictures if they would be useful in identifying the year/model or diagnosing issues.

Hey,
I just inherited a 86' Starcraft 17' side console today. Needs some serious love though. So looks like we are in it together. Good luck.

Latest posts