New Tracker Pro Guide V16SC - Thoughts?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin Man

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Can't seem to shake the bigger/wider boat itis!!!!

Been looking at various 16' SC boats (Lund, Alumacraft, Lowe, G3). They are all about $7K more than Tracker for approx. the same specs. T

racker has the best price, as they usually do. BPS is currently offering $1000 off and $500 gift card for all purchases, both in stock or ordering (until 3-31-23). I just can't shake the desire for a new, or newer boat, with side console steering, rod storage, some misc. storage, and wider beam for added stability.

I've read some negative stories about Tracker boats on various online sites, but not sure how accurate they are. Tracker sells 1000s of boats (more than anyone), so logically there are bound to be more negative comments since there are more of these boats around. I owned an older one of these models (2006) but didn't own it long enough to determine one way or another...but it was well used when I purchased it. I do recall it being a very stable boat.

Any tracker owners here that can provide input on build quality, ruggedness, warranty, etc?

Most of these PG V16SC that are in stock have 75hp and 90hp (max rating). That is how BPS orders them as they claim that's what most customers ask for.

The 60hp weighs about 250# and the 75 and 90 both weigh 360#!!
Not sure I want the extra 110# at the stern.
I do want the ALL vinyl floor option but not the brake option.

However, wondering how the 60hp will do with 2-3 large adults on board?
I'm not into speed....just fun casual fishing with some level of comfort.

Here's what I'm looking at:

https://www.trackerboats.com/deep-v/pro-guide-v-16-sc.html

Last edited:
My son had a Tracker Grizzly 14' Mod-V jon boat. Outside of being on the heavy and somewhat bow heavy, it was a good boat. He sold it last spring, and I communicated with the new owner for most of the season. He seemed very happy with it.

The Tracker brand has always been known as a "value" brand. I've owned other value brands, and they hold up just fine if you take care of them.

BTW: I have been going through the same quandry, except I have been researching 20-22' Pontoon boats. The Suntracker Party Barge 22' comes with a 115HP Merc, but the dealers order them with 150HP, at a hundred pounds more. I might end up with a 20' 90HP one though. Planning to go touch them this week.

My son had a Tracker Grizzly 14' Mod-V jon boat. Outside of being on the heavy and somewhat bow heavy, it was a good boat. He sold it last spring, and I communicated with the new owner for most of the season. He seemed very happy with it.

The Tracker brand has always been known as a "value" brand. I've owned other value brands, and they hold up just fine if you take care of them.

BTW: I have been going through the same quandry, except I have been researching 20-22' Pontoon boats. The Suntracker Party Barge 22' comes with a 115HP Merc, but the dealers order them with 150HP, at a hundred pounds more. I might end up with a 20' 90HP one though. Planning to go touch them this week.
My buddy just picked up a 2023 Bass Buggy 18DLX last Sept. He ordered it and it took about 4mos. Now they appear to in stock, at some locations on West coast. Pontoons are very nice rigs! I owned one and it was great! My wife and older son don't go out much at all, so my needs are more aligned to a fishing boat than a pontoon. Something my 18yo and I can use or many times I may also go alone. Even an 18' pontoon can be a challenge to load/unload, especially if there is any wind.

Personal experience:
After about 5 mos of ownership and just under 1000 miles of travel, the trailer experienced an issue... the brakes were dragging due to a faulty brake actuator. The customer service was 5 star! Because he had no way of towing/driving it there with brakes dragging (even tried to use AAA but they would not cover it even with RV tow service - $500 max allowance and they could not find a suitable tow company to flatbed tow it), they came to his house, disconnected brake lines, drained fluid, and drove the entire rig back to their service center, which is about 50 miles away. 3-4 weeks later they called that it was ready. ALL new parts were replaced (actuator, drums, brakes, bearings/races) and lines flushed. Back to new condition! Lines were the only brake component not replaced. They went way above common expectation by picking up the boat and even offering to deliver it back him, which my buddy declined and picked it up himself. Can't say enough about the BPS customer service he received after the sale. That is why I have 16SC on my short list. Customer service AFTER the sale is important to me.

Im sure the 20 is a nice rig! Any reason you do not want the fishing model?

I have an 84 Tracker that still hardly leaks, and I have pounded the heck out of it.

When Tracker was first starting to transition into welded hulls I believe they had a lot of quality issues, but that was a long time ago.

The 60 will likely do fine, as you mentioned there is a big weight penalty in the 75+ outboards that mitigates the extra power. You may have to run less prop when heavily loaded but it will work. On my boat, the difference between a 60hp two stroke and a 90hp four stroke was only about 5-7mph. The 60s cruising sweet spot was 25mph, a 75 bumped it to 28, and the 90 is 32ish.

I deliver mail to the Tracker factory where many of the pontoons are assembled. The back lot has hundreds of pallets of brand new Mercury outboards, almost enough to make a guy plan a heist. The plant closed during the 2008 recession but they reopened it after Covid, and it certainly appears that business is booming. Their Nitro glass boats are made just to the north of me in Clinton, and I believe the tin boats are made south of me in Lebanon and Springfield.

Last edited:
Neighbor has a tracker, over ten yrs old no issues..I have a 16' Sylvan SC and that is a great boat...mine weighs over 1000 lbs as it carries 3 group 31 batteries and a starter battery. I have a 40 hp Merc classic two stroke and mine does 31+ mph with it trimmed out. With 2 big adults and gear will still do 29 mph sobyour 60 should do fine unless you want wild speed !!! Tracker's have always been a good buy for the dollar spent, I would not hesitate to buy one if maintained...if you pull the trigger, pics make it so!!

Im sure the 20 is a nice rig! Any reason you do not want the fishing model?
This is to replace the 20' bowrider I sold last year. Having a seperate pleasure boat from fishing boat, has been great. Don't want to give that up. While many outings it will be just my wife and dog, there will be numerous family outings with eight and dog. That was th max for the bowrider, and was tight quarters. Along with the fishing models, don't like the rear facing lounge models. Like the bowrider, it will go in the water in the spring, and out in the fall. So trailring is not a big concern.

Personally, it's such a hard decision for me.....to buy or not to buy.
I should be happy with what I currently have......it's plenty for my local lakes. And I really enjoy upgrading and modding it. Some how I think that the wider beam, side console, and added storage is a necessity.

I was never a big fan of rhe side console because I liked ducking behind the windshield when cold air and spray were comming at me. Until a few years ago, I always had passengers with me so having a place to duck behind for them as well...After retiring, I go by myself 98% of the time, on ocassion my grandkids might go for a ride but only when the weather is nice. Wife cant ride in a boat due to her back issues, so it is just me. I recently purchased a Sylvan side console and really like it...more than I ever thought I would !! The small windshield still gives me some protection, however, todays outerwear is awesome, easy to stay dry and warm with the right outfit..I really like the extra floor space and storage is really nice. Seats are easy to remove or relocate and comfortable and they swivel 360 degrees very handy !! I have bad shoulders so a tiller is difficult, still like a steering wheel best !! For just one or even a pair of fisherman I find the side console a perfect designed small fishing boat.

Well, I went with a 2022 22’ Party Barge w/150hp merc. It was priced between the two choices I posted earlier. The price hurts but this will be my only new boat, and probably my last. Retirement is meant to be enjoyed, right?

Your turn. :)

Well, I went with a 2022 22’ Party Barge w/150hp merc. It was priced between the two choices I posted earlier. The price hurts but this will be my only new boat, and probably my last. Retirement is meant to be enjoyed, right?

Nice...and you're right to enjoy it. I'm sure you're going to have a great time!

There are times when I've wanted a pontoon, but the real reason I have a boat is for fishing, and the small tinnie gets in and out of spots that barge would never go. I will admit that I've had great fun on other people's 'toons just lazing around the lake.

Wow...a party barge...so when does this party begin ??? Pics make it true !!

I'll pick it up next week, but won't get splashed until end of April. Ice isn't out yet. They don't close the dam until then.

Attachments

• IMG_7381.jpg
    IMG_7381.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 0
Devils advocate apparently, just food for thought from a different perspective:

I have no doubt most people want the larger engines, the most common advice is to get max HP. Even if you dont need it, If you get less you potentially limit your appeal to re-sell in the future.

The additional weight is because its a larger displacement engine. 75 and 90 are on the same larger block. It’ll have more torque for better low-speed performance (getting on plane, crawling over big waves, etc), and at any speed it’ll be working less hard. My engines bear this out especially getting on plane and in rougher water when I am at low and mid speeds adjusting for waves.

If you arent into speed, dont floor it. The larger engine will allow you to cruise at a comfortable speed at lower, more efficient rpm’s.

If its a heavier, bigger displacement boat than what you are coming out of, 110lb of weight makes less of a difference.

16’ is still a really small boat when you start adding in decking, finished gunwales, splashwell, etc. If you are coming from the boat in your signature, even though the one in question is a much heavier and a bit wider boat, interior size will actually measure significantly less in some places. The storage will increase the useability of some of that, but if you really want the roomiest boat you can get in a smaller package, the console takes up a lot of that room compared to a tiller, and if you arent looking for speed what real benefit does the windshield provide? With an engine that size you'll have power trim/tilt/start anyway, so no real effort over a steering wheel, why not consider either a bigger boat (17-18’ model) or a tiller model for maximizing space?

Regarding tracker versus other brands. The one thing I have seen fairly consistently is that the tracker boats have a narrower waterline width than most other brands with similar beam width. This directly translates to stability and displacement. The wider waterline is generally more stable fishing, better able to handle more people moving around, draft shallower, get on plane and stay on plane at lower speed. minor difference for some people, but noticeable if you can compare. The other thing you typically get with the other brands is heavier gauge or doubled aluminum and a more robust interior structure--think of it as joists on 16" centers as opposed to joists on 24" centers. It makes for a little heavier boat, but it adds durability for any impacts such as potholes and bouncing when trailering, hitting waves at 30mph (over and over and over...), and it makes the boat stiffer so as it hits waves it flexes less and puts less stress on individual welds or rivets. Again minor difference in some cases, but looking at the bottom of a aluminum hull 10 or 15 years down the road you can visibly see the hollows between braces, etc on a more lightly constructed boat. You pay more for it, but you can generally see this in resale value as well. Again, food for thought.

Last edited:
I looked at a Tracker Targa in the general dollar of fishing stores and was disgusted at the quality. Yes, it was a $35k boat that would be $50k in any other brand, but even for $35k you shouldn't be able to see the framing members telegraphing through the hull while it's sitting on the floor. Maybe I'm being over critical but I don't think I would buy a Tracker after they were bought by BPS.

I looked at a Tracker Targa in the general dollar of fishing stores and was disgusted at the quality. Yes, it was a $35k boat that would be $50k in any other brand, but even for $35k you shouldn't be able to see the framing members telegraphing through the hull while it's sitting on the floor. Maybe I'm being over critical but I don't think I would buy a Tracker after they were bought by BPS.
An awfull lot depends on quality control for that day. If you look closely, that is not uncommon on riveted boats and can happen on welded as well. Saw it on most vrands even Lunds !! Not common but out there if you look. Whilevit may not look all neat and tidy, there should be no structure issues. One reason people buy glass boats are the cool, smooth, flowing lines and fancy colors availiable. I personally stay away from glass boats, to many bad experiences over the years. I am definetly an aluminum boat guy and have owned more than I have fingers and toes, but I am a practical boat used, not interested in pretty. Todays prices are rediculous, and I wont pay them, way overpriced for what you get. In every vehicle there are luxery and economy models, boats are no different. This is why they make Chevrolets and Caddillacs, no difference in the mechanics of either, just fit, finnish and appearance, your pocket book makes the choice..

(y)Congratulations! That's a very nice toon! I was on one last week at BPS. They are a very nice family rig that are BIG on relaxation and enjoyment....A nice cruiser that can be fished from in a pinch. YES.....retirement is mean to be enjoyed....at least that what I also tell myself!! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I can see the same welds on new Crestliner boats just as well as the Trackers. Crestliner was one brand I was considering and it is welded. Alumacraft and Lund are both riveted so not a fair comparison.

I believe the areas where you can see where the floor was welded into hull is part of the outcome when a floor structure is welded into the hull. IMO.....nothing to do with quality and perhaps not entirely preventable.

As far as quality comparisons between Tracker and much more expensive brands.....I believe the Tracker hulls, welds, and structural integrity are on par.

Also, from my research, BPS did not recently purchase Tracker boats. Tracker boars are made by White River Marine Group which has been owned by BPS from the beginning. Jonny Morris (and son) created both....in particular, Tracker Boats 45 years ago.
https://www.whiterivermg.com/index.html

Last edited:
I can't speak on their products from first hand experience, but like with Bayliner, I don't see them failing any more then other boat brands, I think it's more of the "It's cheap for a reason" mind set. If it's the same grade of aluminum, the welds look good and supports are in place just the same as other builders I'd buy it and not look back.

Devils advocate apparently, just food for thought from a different perspective:

I have no doubt most people want the larger engines, the most common advice is to get max HP. Even if you dont need it, If you get less you potentially limit your appeal to re-sell in the future.

The additional weight is because its a larger displacement engine. 75 and 90 are on the same larger block. It’ll have more torque for better low-speed performance (getting on plane, crawling over big waves, etc), and at any speed it’ll be working less hard. My engines bear this out especially getting on plane and in rougher water when I am at low and mid speeds adjusting for waves.

If you arent into speed, dont floor it. The larger engine will allow you to cruise at a comfortable speed at lower, more efficient rpm’s.

If its a heavier, bigger displacement boat than what you are coming out of, 110lb of weight makes less of a difference.

16’ is still a really small boat when you start adding in decking, finished gunwales, splashwell, etc. If you are coming from the boat in your signature, even though the one in question is a much heavier and a bit wider boat, interior size will actually measure significantly less in some places. The storage will increase the useability of some of that, but if you really want the roomiest boat you can get in a smaller package, the console takes up a lot of that room compared to a tiller, and if you arent looking for speed what real benefit does the windshield provide? With an engine that size you'll have power trim/tilt/start anyway, so no real effort over a steering wheel, why not consider either a bigger boat (17-18’ model) or a tiller model for maximizing space?

Regarding tracker versus other brands. The one thing I have seen fairly consistently is that the tracker boats have a narrower waterline width than most other brands with similar beam width. This directly translates to stability and displacement. The wider waterline is generally more stable fishing, better able to handle more people moving around, draft shallower, get on plane and stay on plane at lower speed. minor difference for some people, but noticeable if you can compare. The other thing you typically get with the other brands is heavier gauge or doubled aluminum and a more robust interior structure--think of it as joists on 16" centers as opposed to joists on 24" centers. It makes for a little heavier boat, but it adds durability for any impacts such as potholes and bouncing when trailering, hitting waves at 30mph (over and over and over...), and it makes the boat stiffer so as it hits waves it flexes less and puts less stress on individual welds or rivets. Again minor difference in some cases, but looking at the bottom of a aluminum hull 10 or 15 years down the road you can visibly see the hollows between braces, etc on a more lightly constructed boat. You pay more for it, but you can generally see this in resale value as well. Again, food for thought.
When doing some research for my recent purchase, I did compare various aspects....including beams, width at bottom, hull construction, fuel tank and live well capacities, storage, warranty, closeet warranty service center, etc.

The Lund I could find which was close in specs to the Tracker Pro Guide V16 is the Adventure 1675.

Lund Chine width: 70.75"
Tracker V16: 70"

Lund uses double thickness at bow (0.143); 0.080 on bottom; 0.063 at freeboard (as thin as my Alumacraft V16 utility boat)

Tracker: 0.100 thickness for entire boat...bottom, bow, freeboard

For me.... the price, warranty, construction, capacities, and customer service experience pointed directly to the Tracker. Again, just my thoughts and opinion.

NOTE: As long as we can get out on the water often, safely, and enjoy some great fishing with family and friends.....that's what matters more than what boat wer'e driving!

Latest posts