New trailer tires?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 29

Reaction score
My trailer is 11 years old. How many years should I expect to get from them? Where do I get new ones if needed?
Thanks

the hammer said:
There’s also the matter of having my leaf springs checked too.

If you have one of those two previous close, they can do it.

Local mechanic - not a 'big box' shop like Midas or something - I've got 4 independent mechanics with shops in a 2 mile radius of my place.

Otherwise, any decent auto parts store (O'Reilly, Autozone, etc)

MN Fisher said:
the hammer said:
There’s also the matter of having my leaf springs checked too.

If you have one of those two previous close, they can do it.

Local mechanic - not a 'big box' shop like Midas or something - I've got 4 independent mechanics with shops in a 2 mile radius of my place.

Otherwise, any decent auto parts store (O'Reilly, Autozone, etc)

Thanks!

Don't go cheap with the trailer tires. I put some new tires/wheels on my trailer 2 years ago and the reviews on the lower priced tires were bad. Lots of people having blowouts on trailer tires with less than 500 miles on them. So go with a name brand you recognize or trust for the safety aspect. I think I went with LoadStar tires. Now might be a good chance to go up a size as well if you can. A taller tire keeps down the rpm's and heat on the bearings. I went from a 4.80-12 to a 5.30-12 since it would still fit in the fender. The 4.8 is a 20.5" tire and the 5.3 is a 21.9" tire and the 5.3 has a higher weight capacity.

JL8Jeff said:
Don't go cheap with the trailer tires. I put some new tires/wheels on my trailer 2 years ago and the reviews on the lower priced tires were bad. Lots of people having blowouts on trailer tires with less than 500 miles on them. So go with a name brand you recognize or trust for the safety aspect. I think I went with LoadStar tires. Now might be a good chance to go up a size as well if you can. A taller tire keeps down the rpm's and heat on the bearings. I went from a 4.80-12 to a 5.30-12 since it would still fit in the fender. The 4.8 is a 20.5" tire and the 5.3 is a 21.9" tire and the 5.3 has a higher weight capacity.

When I relocated from NJ to SC, I used that service from the TV show Shipping Wars to tow the boat. The trip was about 600 miles. Prior to that, most of my towing was about 5 miles. From my house to my new lake is about 3 miles round trip a few times a month. I don’t beat them, so it’s more knowing they have to be replace than “CONDITION RED!!!”.

the hammer said:
When I relocated from NJ to SC, I used that service from the TV show Shipping Wars to tow the boat. The trip was about 600 miles. Prior to that, most of my towing was about 5 miles. From my house to my new lake is about 3 miles round trip a few times a month. I don’t beat them, so it’s more knowing they have to be replace than “CONDITION RED!!!”.

Few rules to make your tires last as long as possible.

1: Make sure they're up to pressure. Use the numbers on the tire, not the trailer's recommendations. Always check pressure when cold, not after they've run a bit.

2: Inspect regularly for any road-debris in the treads...pick it out.

3: If storing for a long time - more than a month - put the rear of the trailer up on jack-stands to get pressure off the tires....believe it or not, just sitting there for long periods is harder on them than running down the road daily.

I recommend www.recstuff.com
I've bought from them once, my brother once and I will be buying tires for another trailer this spring/summer.

I don't rely on a schedule or age. I check my tires in the spring and replace them if I see something wrong.

I'm assuming the treads are good. If so, I've had tires that were fine that were 10 years old. A few will have signs of "dry rot" at 5 years. Most will get close to 10 before that happens. Check the sidewalls for cracking. That's a sign that either (1) the tire was used with the tire pressure too low and the sidewall flexed enough to be damaged or (2) age has caused the rubber to degrade.

Either way, it's time to replace tires.

If the tread is still good and the sidewalls are smooth with no visible cracking, I continue to use them.

LDUBS said:
Does anyone know if there are any American made boat trailer tires -- meaning in the 12" or 13" size? I checked Goodyear Endurance just out of curiosity and couldn't find any.

I went through this with my landscrape trailer. All I could find were $200 tire and rim combos and stopped looking.

I’m going to have to bite the bullet this year and I’m sure I’ll be paying much more.

in the south, you replace tires more often than the north. the 150 billion degrees asphalt and concrete kills them. amazon, harbor freight, walmart have the same chinese rubber the more expensive places do. and since you only run then 4-5 years, it doesnt matter.

I was going to pick up new tires from Tractor Supply -

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/kenda-loadstar-karrier-radial-trailer-tire-and-5-hole-custom-spoke-wheel-5-45-175-80r-13-lrc?cm_vc=-10005

price seems to be a bit stiff

Check Etrailer.com, I think that's where I got my wheels/tires. Here's the same combo you're looking at and it looks like free shipping. They also show a stronger Kenda 8 ply tire that's more expensive.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Tires-and-Wheels/Kenda/AM31951.html

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Tires-and-Wheels/Kenda/AM31985.html

I placed an order this morning through etrailers. Won’t be in stock for two weeks or so, fingers crossed!

JL8Jeff said:
Check Etrailer.com, I think that's where I got my wheels/tires. Here's the same combo you're looking at and it looks like free shipping. They also show a stronger Kenda 8 ply tire that's more expensive.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Tires-and-Wheels/Kenda/AM31951.html

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Tires-and-Wheels/Kenda/AM31985.html

Thanks for the recommend of etrailer.com. Reasonably priced, no charge shipping, helpful and pleasant!

My trailer is 11 years old too, my tires are still looking mint. I do take them off in the winter to get them out of the sun though. If they are not weather cracked and your only making short trips I wouldn't worry too much.. but if you do have a flat someday, change them both.

Sent from my SM-A526W using Tapatalk

Latest posts