New transom for tiny tinny

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaleH

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Ah well, they can't last forever now, can they?

My transom on the vintage '78 12' Starcraft skiff was starting to show her age. I like this hull, with the way the ribs and chines were formed, she's as tough and stable as any 12-footer I've ever been on. The stern width was > 49" so I ended up buying a half sheet, 4' by 4', of 23/32" exterior plywood and cut the pieces across the diagonal to have enough length to make them fit.

A good sand and prep, followed by a vinegar wash and zinc chromate priming and it was time to throw in the wood. I had enough epoxy from my former-frp boat owner days to last me a lifetime, so I wet-out the edges twice with a ultra-thin viscosity mix, then covered each piece w/ std mix, then laminated them together and bolted it into the transom. To prevent the clamps from sticking, I put synthetic grease on the tips. Each bolt threads and nylok nut also has the same grease added, plus all bolt/nut washers were well sealed with LifeCaulk by BoatLife.

Now to form the new transom cap ...

You'll note I put the new stern-most piece down a little around the knee, just in case I upgrade to a 15hp motor on her once the crew (my girls) get older :wink: .

Attachments

• New Transom May 2017.JPG
    New Transom May 2017.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 725
whhhaaatttttt ???????
no new transom skin ??
no new poured transom panel ??

I think that Pressure Treated Plywood stuck on
with 100% pure silicone would have been a good choice.

looks great, man !! hope your girls have many
fun summers with you puttering around the pond.

jethro said:
Is that a through-hull bilge petcock I see? On a 12' tin? First time I've seen that!
Sure is sir ... this skiff is left in the water at the dock 24/7 from May through end of October. It's just to keep rain water out, but we'll get Summer squalls (dock is on a saltwater estuary) that practically fills 1/4 or more of the boat's capacity if you didn't keep a pump in them.

Other members don't add pumps and we see 1 or 2 skills swamped and sunk during the season. Or I'll see others taking 20-30-minutes to bail out their skiff using a bucket or bailer. I don't have such time to waste, haha! Run 8-miles down river, another 10-miles East across the bay to Glostah ... and if still heading East ... you'd hit France! So yeah, I'm darn close to the big Atlantic Ocean :D .