Newb: Picking up 1st outboard motor in 2 weeks, help pls with which propeller to buy

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been restoring a 1993 Bass Tracker 17tx (didn't come with an outboard). I have completed my restoration and I purchased a new 50hp Mercury 4 cycle outboard motor that i'm picking up in 2 weeks. I believe they do not come with a propeller so I'm trying to research what to get. Mercury Marine website suggested a BlackMax 12.5" 9 pitch prop along with about a dozen other props. I guess my boat is probably 350 lbs before ppl, gas, etc and will have 2 adults in it and my boat is 17 feet so entering in that information i guess that is right??? Any help is appreciated. What else do i need? i am thinking a transom saver is a good thing to have. What about those transom brakets for extra reinforcement? I know I don't "need" them but i figure its better to put them on now before the install.

This is my first boat so i want to purchase a decent prop and have no idea what to get. I"m basically just cruising around a river to bass fish and occasionally i may pull 2 small kids in a tube for fun. Thanks in advance.

Turning Point has a good calculator that will give you a baseline. On that size motor an aluminum prop is fine, stainless will offer minimal benefit, if any.

I'd say a 10x13 would be pretty close, maybe an 11x11.

I had a 60hp 2 stroke on a 17' Tracker deep v, a 13 was a little bit on the small side and a 15 was almost too much.

Last edited:
As far as props, it may take trying/testing a few props to get it just right. You'll need to start with as close as you can calculate and go from there. If possible, boat should be fully loaded when testing. Will your selling dealer allow you to test a few used props? I had to purchase a second prop for my previous boat as the prop it came with would not get to max RPM when boat was fully loaded. Did the calcs and the second prop worked great. NOTE: It's important to be able to get to max RPM when fully loaded.

Transom supports:
I used these on my current previous boats. They are a great, well machined product. They are 1/4" thick and most OB mounting bolts are long enough to accommodate them. I've also used their SS bolt kits. I like that they include brass nylok brass/bronze nuts to prevent SS to SS galling.

Transom Backing Plates

I second using a calculator. I went from a 3 blade aluminum to a 4 blade stainless on a Mariner 60 hp pushing a 16‘ Fisher SV2 and nailed it with the calculator. BUT, as suggested already, get the dealer to help find the right prop. Most dealers have props you can try/test plus they have experience doing it.

A friend works for a marina and tells me that new motors come with a prop, but there is no longer a standard prop except for small tiny outboards. You get a prop of your choice, depending on your needs. Today a motor can be used in so many different ways that standard props no longer exist... His marina offers used props to try until you find what works, then they give you a new one that matches. Dont know if all shops do this but it sounds like a good plan to me. Ask your dealer about such a plan, they should be able to steer you in the right direction....

Latest posts