Newbie and need New paint

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunyon_0341

Reaction score
I purchased this 14ft boat a year ago and am planning modifying it, for now it is a bright red paint and I don't know what the guy before me used on it. I want to repaint it, can someone or many of you help me out here?
-what is easiest/cost effective way to remove the paint

-do I need to re apply epoxy to all rivets after I remove this paint before applying new paint?

-recommend on products for prep work etc.
b594f57da9eac72f085d3dad9838cd34.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is my opinion only, but, unless you plan on duck hunting, why re-paint? It looks fairly nice in the picture. The only thing I don't like is the black interior, yeah, yeah cuts down on the glare. . . but hot on warm sunny days. If you do have to remove it, BIX Stripper is some pretty awesome stuff. Don't do it on a hot day or the BIX will evaporate/dry out and not work and put it on thick and let it soak for quite a bit. Scrape it off with a new paint scraper or razor blade. Brass, preferably brass, wire brush the crap out of the seams and the rivets and around the rivets. Then make sure you thoroughly wash with mineral spirits afterwards AND then wash with hot soapy water and scour pads and brushes. If while you are washing you see the water beading up, then you haven't washed it good enough. It should get fairly sudsy. Scrub really good with Scotch-Brite pads on all surfaces. Once rinsed and dried, you won't need to do any sanding as the scour pads will have etched everything for you. Then prime and paint however you see fit.

ericman said:
This is my opinion only, but, unless you plan on duck hunting, why re-paint?

Thank you so much for your response, yes the repainting is for waterfowling

Since you plan to use it for waterfowl hunting, I recommend Parkers Duck Boat Paint. Super durable and very flat with no gloss. If you want to add stenciling to your boat you can buy pre-made stencils online or cut your own. For the stenciling on my boat I used Rustoleum camo spray in black and brown. Turned out nicely. For prep you want to remove any loose/flaking paint and scuff up the rest with some 200 grit or so sandpaper. Clean the hull well and then wipe down with acetone. Paint any bare aluminum with self-etching primer and then apply your paint. For ease of application I recommend a HVLP spray gun. I got a cheap Harbor Freight one that worked great. You can get much more detailed with your paint prep and application by completely striping the hull, acid washes, etc. etc., but I do not think it's necessary, especially for a duck boat. The above method worked great for me and the paint is still holding up good after 3+ years.

As far as the rivets go, fill your boat with water and check for leaks. Mark any leaky rivets and address them after paint prep and before the new paint application. Either re-buck, replace or seal the leaky rivets.

^thank you guys so much, I thought this would be a lot worse than it seems it will be

Latest posts