Newbie - First Mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishengineer

Reaction score
OK I just got a Lowe MV 1448 off of craigslist, 4 years old, with trailer (a little small but will work), for $1000. Not the best deal but it's what I have been looking for to Crappie fish out of and do some bass fishing.

I have all the stuff, I think, to get started on the front deck but have one question. What is the most common way to tie in the 2x2's into the stringers on the boat? I have read countless builds but have not seen a how to on this particular item. I'm 6'-3" 280lb so I don't wnat to screw this up! Thanks, Fishengineer

Fishengineer said:
OK I just got a Lowe MV 1448 off of craigslist, 4 years old, with trailer (a little small but will work), for $1000. Not the best deal but it's what I have been looking for to Crappie fish out of and do some bass fishing.

I have all the stuff, I think, to get started on the front deck but have one question. What is the most common way to tie in the 2x2's into the stringers on the boat? I have read countless builds but have not seen a how to on this particular item. I'm 6'-3" 280lb so I don't wnat to screw this up! Thanks, Fishengineer

Check out many of the builds. I used stain less self tapping screws and Simpson Strong Ties (Galvanized) with a piece of rubber gasket material in between to prevent corrosion. On this page: https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=8277&start=100

Thank you.

I have one more question about tying in to the stringers with the 2x2's. Wouldn't the stainless sheet metal screws eventually pull from the stringers? The only reason I say this is that on the boat I have been fishing for the last 10 years my father-in-law took galvinized angle and made his tie-ins and the screws eventually stripped out the aluminum hole that was in the stringers. Anyone experience this? Has anyone tried nutserts, or rivnuts, or a stong rivet to the stringer?

If you have a build showing this application please let me know what it is and I will look it up to find the info. I have been looking at builds for three days and have not seen exactly what i am looking for. Thanks, Fishengineer

found a build using Rivets. Is there any specific Rivet I should use when riveting to the stringers? I plan on using aluminum 3/16" to rivet my aluminum angle to the stringers. Thanks, fishengineer

Did you ever figure out a solution for this or get an answer? I would really like to know myself.

Fishengineer said:
Thank you.

I have one more question about tying in to the stringers with the 2x2's. Wouldn't the stainless sheet metal screws eventually pull from the stringers? The only reason I say this is that on the boat I have been fishing for the last 10 years my father-in-law took galvinized angle and made his tie-ins and the screws eventually stripped out the aluminum hole that was in the stringers. Anyone experience this? Has anyone tried nutserts, or rivnuts, or a stong rivet to the stringer?

If you have a build showing this application please let me know what it is and I will look it up to find the info. I have been looking at builds for three days and have not seen exactly what i am looking for. Thanks, Fishengineer

i would suggest you use some c channel aluminium or angle aluminum and aluminium rivets. even though stainless and aluminium are close on the electrolisis scale they are still not a match and will react to each other over time and the worse part is the aluminum looses that battle. pretty hard to go wrong with using the same material. but hey that is just my two cents and lord knows opinions are like you know whats! lol welcome to the forum and happy modding!

Welcome to Tin Boats FishEngineer, I used 2X2 aluminum box for the framing on my project and
probably over a thousand 3/16 rivets.
DSC00213.jpg

To date none have pulled out. Rivets that were in a tension
load I used a backing washer. Rivets under a shear load were ok as installed. You are welcome
to look at mybuild and feel free to use any ideas. That is what this site is all about, good ideas and
people willing to help out. :) Jerry