Newbie questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hct4all

Reaction score
Good morning. Just picked up my first rig yesterday.

94 Evinrude 50/35 jet with t/t. E50JETB

Before taking it out I was going to run it at home.
Can you run it in a tub?

Besides grease and gun y thing I need right away?

very familiar with outboards. 30+ years of running and maintaining

what are some good resources?

Thank you

Rick

You need a big tub and can only idle it in neutral. Neutral will still move allot of water and slosh allot out. For our yamaha, I bought the hose adapter. You remove the bolt by the grease hose and put it in. Still should only idle it. Not sure if yours has similar.

The maker of the jets has allot of info on their website. From sharpening the impeller to gapping them to the wear ring. Also allot of info on set-up, etc,

OutboardJets

Attachments

• IMG_6088.MOV
    1.4 MB
  • IMG_7359.MOV
    1.3 MB
Thank you. I was told the impeller is new. Just want to confirm function before taking it to the river.

You can look at it up through the grates to see condition, but have to drop them to measure gap.

Post some pictures of your boat and a side view of motor height set-up.

How does it look

Attachments

• CFA0D3E2-1872-4479-9447-14E00BCAACBA.jpeg
    CFA0D3E2-1872-4479-9447-14E00BCAACBA.jpeg
    118.8 KB · Views: 1
  • ABF86EEA-4383-4A4E-A090-2CC76BC99560.jpeg
    ABF86EEA-4383-4A4E-A090-2CC76BC99560.jpeg
    113.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 30014098-5581-4AB3-A327-A8875D297662.jpeg
    30014098-5581-4AB3-A327-A8875D297662.jpeg
    191.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 23DD7EC1-9FEA-4BEB-8608-4B33F36150F3.jpeg
    23DD7EC1-9FEA-4BEB-8608-4B33F36150F3.jpeg
    257 KB · Views: 1
  • 5F37B0EB-377A-41C2-92D3-D139C1978B71.png
    5F37B0EB-377A-41C2-92D3-D139C1978B71.png
    182.7 KB · Views: 1
From picture three it looks to be set-up well. To be sure, trim motor all the way in/down and run a straight edge along the bottom of the hull, sliding over to where it hits the foot. The tip of the foot should be just above.

If its close, run it and see how it does. Allot depends on the boat and weight distribution. Generally, the more weight forward the better. Did the prior owner give you any performance expectations?

It has the side plates installed that will help reduce cavitation. A splash plate can provide additional help. Splash Plate

Last edited:
If you buy a big, real big Tupperware storage container that comes with a lid, you can fill it with water and cut out a hole for the engine, then run the engine in drive and the water will circulate back into the tub for you. I wouldn't want to juice it much but it will work.

Maiden voyage was a success.

i confirmed water pump at home in a tote and then today I took it to a lake.

Solo it went 26 at first tucked in. Then I noticed a lot of spray coming off the port side of the motor. Trimmed it out a bit and then picked up another 3 mph. So I hit about 29 mph total

You may still want to get one of those hose fittings so you can run it at home on the hose. What size boat are you running it on?

Took her out on the river Saturday. Wow! What fun. Saw 6 eagles and other cool critters on the middle Allegheny. Tionesta to Tidioute. Only screwed up once and got stuck. Made it upriver through a spot that looked too skinny on the way back down. Looked different coming down for some reason. I should have stayed on plane. Shocking how much it drops when not on plane. Any tips for running unfamiliar waters?

Congrads on your first river run. :) You do get to see allot of wildlife where many don't venture.

I learned "our" river from years of drift trips. There are a few utube videos out there with some recommendations. One of which, talked about the lesson you just learned. Once you go thru a "skinny" section, turn around and look at it. It always looks different from the opposite direction. Others say to turn right around and go back thru it immediatly, to help imprint it in your memory.

Some also recommend going to shore and walking up the bank to get a better read of the skinny water, before picking your track thru. Practicing power turns, etc.

I use the GPS tracks to line up on return trips. I also place navigation marks on gps in the skinny sections. It helps allot in the wide shallow sections where it is harder to judge distance.

Also, using satalite photos of the river can help. Especially, if they are recent and during the summer low-water months.

Last edited:

Latest posts