No one ice fishing?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AB14

Reaction score
Just checking in to see what's going on. I'm in Michigan, and we haven't had ice here on Saginaw Bay all year until now. We got a good snow fall over the weekend, about 8in. Cold weather is finally here, and looks like it will stay for about a week so maybe we'll get enough ice to get out on. I'm hoping so. How are the rest of you doing as far as ice fishing goes?

There's lots of ice and fishing in Sunny Alberta. This fellow fishes on Cold Lake which is slightly north of the center of Alberta. He catches great fish and shows how he does it. Have a watch and tell me what you think.

I'll be volunteering at a "Kids Can Fish" event on Feb. 18/23. I'll be drilling holes in the ice. We need 16 rows with 25 holes in each row and the holes will be 10 feet apart. maybe 300 + kids will be on the ice. I'll take some pictures and post them up.

Plenty of ice in the Omaha area. We had a severe round of cold weather in December that set it all up.

I'm not really an ice fisherman, but Son in law has gear and shelter, so that made a big difference. Ice was about 10" thick on the local lake we fished a couple Sundays ago. I caught one crappie, so I didn't get skunked, and I did have fun.

Will I go again? Maybe. I'm not going to gear up for it, though I might buy a rod so that I can fish my own stuff. Never pass up a chance to buy fishing gear, right?

Although there was ice further north I didn’t feel safe going on the ice this year.
When you hear reports of people break through on the shore line and others going through
it wasn’t worth it for me.
There’s always next year..

Just checking in to see what's going on. I'm in Michigan, and we haven't had ice here on Saginaw Bay all year until now. We got a good snow fall over the weekend, about 8in. Cold weather is finally here, and looks like it will stay for about a week so maybe we'll get enough ice to get out on. I'm hoping so. How are the rest of you doing as far as ice fishing goes?
We've had a lot of snow up here at Black Lake! Ice hasn't been as good as previous years. There are maybe 5 shanties on the lake...which isn't normal.

Thank you for such a wonderful article <a href="Go2Fishing | Best Fishing Guide Share And Fishing Gears And Tools Review">go 2 fishing</a>

I was a dedicated ice fisherman when we lived in northern Indiana. But no ice in Georgia.

Tried it ONCE, didn't like the ice "talking to me". I understand that it said, "If God wanted you our here you'd have webbed feet". I took it at it's word and have NEVER gone back...... I'm ugly but I'm no fool......

No ice in eastern Washington. Last year the ice was probably a foot thick by now.

I’m a fair weather fisherman anyway. It doesn’t make sense to go to all the effort of ice fishing for catch and release.

Not much ice in Northern Indiana these days. Been nearly two years since seen safe ice. 53 degrees today, no ice any time soon. Always thought I'd like ice fishing, but never seemed to be in the cards for me.

I used to ice fish every Jan/Feb when I was in PA, but the lake there stopped freezing over enough to go out on over 20 years ago. Where I'm at now, there hasn't been any good ice since the early 80's or so.
Also, as I get older, the more I hate the cold. I tend to go further south when it gets cold, if not, just hibernate till spring.

Here in western Lake Erie, we haven't had good ice in years, mire than I can remember anyway. Tried to sell my ice fishing equipment about 13 years back and no bites !! No usuable ice since., so why buy it I guess...

Most years Cedar Lake ices over pretty solid, but just until we get the next warm spell. So I could actually ice fish from time to time, but never really seemed worth gearing up for. One time me and another drunken fool went ice fishing using a big steel pipe in place of an auger. We got us a hole, two actually, but not before getting soaking wet. Only thing we caught that day was frostbite.

What I really miss is snowmobile season. Sold my last one about 20 years ago after only getting out 3x in 3 winters. Who I really feel sorry for though is a local group of motorcycle ice racers. They are part of a national circuit and last year I think they may have got in one race. They plan all year and then nothing. Their first scheduled race is next weekend. Not looking good. When I was a kid we used to watch Harleys roaring around out on the lake every Sat all winter long. We even parked our cars on the ice.

Latest posts