Outboard Cleaning

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some use a toilet bowl cleaner for really stubborn stains, where the active ingredient is hydrochloric acid.

The active ingredient in BKF is oxalic acid, a natural compound (that's found in rhubarb and spinach, believe it or not ... ) that works at a molecular level to break the bonds of stains, like that of rust and lime deposits. BKF is spectacular on a saltwater boat that has stainless steel hardware! But don't use the powered version on fine finishes ...

DaleH said:
Some use a toilet bowl cleaner for really stubborn stains, where the active ingredient is hydrochloric acid.

The active ingredient in BKF is oxalic acid, a natural compound (that's found in rhubarb and spinach, believe it or not ... ) that works at a molecular level to break the bonds of stains, like that of rust and lime deposits. BKF is spectacular on a saltwater boat that has stainless steel hardware! But don't use the powered version on fine finishes ...

After my last post I double checked and mine is the powdered one. I'll have to make a quick stop at the local Ace Hdware store.

Mrs Ldubs uses it on her stainless steel pots & pans.

I've used Lime Away or CLR to clean the stubborn algae stains on the bottom/side of the boat at the end of the season. SoftScrub also works pretty good but takes more elbow grease. I usually wet a small towel/rag with the Lime Away and just wipe down the stained areas and wait an hour or 2 to see if tough areas need another wipe down. Then hose off the areas after your done since I think it's white acid or something like that. It has worked on fiberglass and aluminum boats and I've never had any adverse affects.

I'm doing this same thing on my 2017 Yamaha 25. The scum line appears to be hard water stains. Just below the cowling on the unfinished aluminum is also tarnished.

I started with straight vinegar and a 3M white pad. Did not work very well.
No I'm using 3M Restorer and Wax with a 3M white pad. It appears to be working well on metal painted section of lower end

I need something finer for the plastic portion between cowling and mid section of lower end. The 3M stuff is too coarse for the painted plastic. It wants to scratch/dull it.

I'll try the liquid BKF and see how it does.

Any additional thoughts?

Thanks!

LDUBS.....do any of your motor's plastic parts (cowling and/or below cowling) have hard water stains? If so, any luck removing them?

My cowling had all kinds of weathering and fading and I cleaned it with SoftScrub, then some rubbing compound and then wax and it cleaned up pretty good considering.

Attachments

• merc_hood1.jpg
    merc_hood1.jpg
    465.1 KB · Views: 160
RaisedByWolves said:
Under the cowl, purple power.

The rest the motor isn’t pretty enough to bother with.

I haven't personally had much luck with purple power. It does work but has to sit a long time and it can be corrosive to aluminum over that long of a period. I typically now use simple green concentrate. I also use it in my ultra sonic cleaner with good results.

Tin Man said:
LDUBS.....do any of your motor's plastic parts (cowling and/or below cowling) have hard water stains? If so, any luck removing them?

They do have what looks like hard water stains. I have not had a chance yet to try the Bar Keeper's Friend. I'll be happy to report back but it is going to be a couple weeks before I can get to it.

We have a mini vacation happening. After that I need to make a run down to my daughter's house to install some pantry cabinets I made for her. She lives down in your neck of the woods. With two big cabinets wedged in the back of my truck, looks like I'll be sharing the right lane of I-5 with all the Truckers for most of the trip.

I wanted to circle back. The Bar Keeper's Friend (liquid version) that DaleH recommended works great removing the scum stains. Worked on the plastic part of the case too. I only put enough elbow grease into it to remove the water stains so as not to scratch anything. The liquid BKF doesn't seem abrasive, but of course it has to be to work.

LDUBS said:
I wanted to circle back. The Bar Keeper's Friend (liquid version) that DaleH recommended works great removing the scum stains. Worked on the plastic part of the case too. I only put enough elbow grease into it to remove the water stains so as not to scratch anything. The liquid BKF doesn't seem abrasive, but of course it has to be to work.

Got some pics:

Before1.jpgAfter.jpg

LDUBS said:
LDUBS said:

Got some pics:

View attachment 1
Thanks for sharing the pics.
The before pic shows exactly what I’m dealing with. I will have to give that a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LDUBS....thanks for the follow up. I picked up some liquid BKF and I'll have to test it out. A few more projects before I can test it, but good to know it works good.

I use simpke green, mix it to whatever strength you need, full strength is really strong so be carefull, but this stuff is awesome. I also use " Clorox" bathroom cleaner in the dark blue/ black container that is for rust and other stains. Great stuff, spray it on and in a few minutes all stains are gone!!! Be sure to rinse with clear water, then some turtle wax spray on wax to keep crap from sticking. Can clean and polish my whole motor in a half hour or less.

I didn’t know about oxalic acid. Thanks for the tip!
I will definitely try to use this acid in combination with pressure washing around the house and to clean my boat too.

Latest posts