Paint for Covering Goop Coat-It

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunshine

Reaction score
Hello,

Been awhile since I've been on here but wanted to seek your guys' opinion.

The 1974 Lund S16 I redid some years back is due for some love. https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?p=459422#p459422

The original trailer had carpeted bunks which eventually resulting in some pitting and pinholes at the contact points. This coupled with some leaky rivets had me come to the conclusion that it's time for an epoxy coating on the hull and strategically on the interior.

Thus, I've been prepping the boat this week and will be applying the Goop Coat-It next week most likely. However, the Coat-it, like most epoxies, is not UV stable. I know that I'm not the first to tackle such an issue so I was hoping some of you would have some advice or product suggestions for painting over the Coat-it to protect it from the sun. The interior isn't so much of an issue as I can use a top coat marine paint for it, but the bottom I'm more concerned with. I don't typically leave the boat in the water but probably 1-2 a year I will leave it at a dock for up to 4-5 days. So, I don't see much need for an anti fouling paint but I'm also struggling to find a paint that doesn't have bubbling concerns when submerged.

I've also thought, "Well it's the bottom of the boat and won't see much sun" but the side rivets are going to be covered too and they will get at least some exposure.

Any help?

Good idea to top-coat epoxy anywhere used.

FWIW my brother bought a frp rig that had ablative A-F bottom paint on it. He ended up removing as much as he could then just painted the bottom black using Rust-Oleum paint, using 2 brushed on thin coats (as any 'thick' coat when painting is BAD juju!). He reports no issues and leaves it in freshwater for a week during his vacation.

Yea I really want to stay away from the ablative paints, but also don't want whatever I use to end up bubbling off like some of the horror stories you hear.

I haven't looked, does the Rustoleum work over epoxy or does it need bare aluminum?

I see a lot of paints made for aluminum application but far less for over epoxy.

sunshine said:
I haven't looked, does the Rustoleum work over epoxy or does it need bare aluminum?
Most epoxies leave behind an 'amine blush' after curing, as a result of the cure, so as long as wiped down, lightly sanded and wiped again (in one direction only) I've never had an issue.

Now that I think of it, on my old frp Parker I made a lot of items out of plywood, coated w/ epoxy and those were painted with a 1-part epoxy marine paint. Those pieces were't immersed, but were exposed to rain/weather and had zero issues. I use R-O paints on my hull where they get wet to being immersed and I've never had any issues. That tin hull running bottom is epoxied too, with Steel-Flex.

Sunshine, how did the Goop Coat-it work out? Was it easy to apply to the bottom of the hull then paint over it, and did it stop your leaks? I'm considering doing the same to mine and would appreciate any feedback.

Most epoxies leave behind an 'amine blush' after curing, as a result of the cure, so as long as wiped down, lightly sanded and wiped again (in one direction only) I've never had an issue.

Now that I think of it, on my old frp Parker I made a lot of items out of plywood, coated w/ epoxy and those were painted with a 1-part epoxy marine paint. Those pieces were't immersed, but were exposed to rain/weather and had zero issues. I use R-O paints on my hull where they get wet to being immersed and I've never had any issues. That tin hull running bottom is epoxied too, with Steel-Flex.
Mr. Dale is there a certain Steel flex you apply on the haul? That’s next on my list.

Latest posts